Author Topic: Raging Newbie here, but fast learner! (with something cool for FSSCP)  (Read 29711 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Raging Newbie here, but fast learner! (with something cool for FSSCP)
I wouldn't want to go through a .torrent for this. If Shivan's installer would have taken me four weeks to download it I couldn't imagine how long this would take, I'd rather go with downloading chunks.

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
Also, you guys may wanna take a page from how some of the Flight Sim Mods sites do it, via (almost) free disk mailing.

We do it for the Fighter Squadron Game I'm involved with & they also do it over at ww2fighters.org for Jane's WWII Fighters sim, just to name a couple.

Here's how it works:

First you need some volunteers from the community who are willing to burn and ship the disks. This works best if you have volunteers in the US and Europe (and other areas is even better if it can be managed)

Then you put link, stick or whatever here at Hard Light for ordering the disks. The disks are basically free, the player simply pays a "handling fee" (usually about 2 bucks or the Euro equivelent) to cover the cost of the blank DVD disk, mail packaging and postage.
Any loose change left over could be saved up & used to support the site too :)

For those on dail up, these things are a Godsend :D

I think few would b!#ch about $2 for DVD mailed to their house. I've ordered them myself in the past :)

just an idea

hip63 :P
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What worries me about that is that the SCP license specifically forbids making money on it. Even if we aren't making a profit, even if we ship everything at cost you still have a website taking cash in order to distribute a game we don't actually have the license for.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Snail Mail addy sent to hip63...
@karajorma: as for the mailing idea, I suppose you could just put up a sticky asking for volunteers.  Then, tell people that when they receive the DVD, if they want to they can defray costs, and send ~$2 or whatever to the return addy they received the DVD from.  Tell them to be sure and specify (in a letter, note, whatever, inside the envelope that the money is just to cover distribution costs, and that any extra is a mistake.  Again, the money to cover costs would be optional, if they feel like helping.  The volunteers should understand this, and realize that they may not ever get all their investment back, besides in happy FS:SCP'ers... as long as the volunteers understand this, I think that'll be alright.
Perhaps we could design a system where people post their addys to a central secure location, and volunteers can look at, and claim addresses to mail to.  The address then reads as "assigned" to that volunteer.  That way, three volunteers won't send to the same person.
Ideas? Comments? Flames? -err,
                                                         nvm, skip that last one.. :lol:

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
How about a system where people who want the game will file their address, and people who are willing to mail it out also file their address... the closest domestic matches send out confirmation, including the mailers saying the price for the actual disc, package, postage, and case or other documentation... that way everyone has their own style; for example I could send out a DVD in a slim case, or in a CD envelope, or just the DVD itself.... charge appropriately for the package and the postage (usually a CD/DVD box).

Hows that?
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Well how about DLing it from here?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well how about DLing it from here?

Not unless some rich benefactor wants to give us a very large chunk of money to seriously upgrade the bandwidth on the site.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline neoterran

make a torrent, problem solved. duh.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
make a torrent, problem solved. duh.
Torrents still cause large problems... example: they're slow. another example: many ISP's will ban the use of them (risk going over your bandwidth, your agreement not to use P2P file sharing, and not to be a server to other computers). a third example: it only takes one virus to infect the file and spread from one person's computer to many others.

I would rather do a FTP download or get a DVD then a Torrent...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
...which is a more reasonable idea.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
a third example: it only takes one virus to infect the file and spread from one person's computer to many others.
Not really.  torrents incorporate hashes to prevent this, if I understand correctly.
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent
The exact information contained in the torrent file depends on the version of the BitTorrent protocol. By convention, the name of a torrent file has the suffix .torrent. Torrent files contain an "announce" section, which specifies the URL of the tracker, and an "info" section which contains (suggested) names for the files, their lengths, the piece length used, and a SHA-1 hash code for each piece, which clients should use to verify the integrity of the data they receive.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Whatever... I still can't and won't use Torrents... my ISP bans being a file-host for other people (nothing against legally downloading and uploading LEGAL stuff... they just prefer that use too much bandwidth).

Anyways... why not simply host a number of disc images on SourceForge or something? It would work a lot better... well, good luck! Just don't make the only way to download VIA torrents!

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
jr2, keep an eye on that mailbox there bro ;)

Now for everyone else, I'm "borrowing" some bandwidth from work ;7
(I wonder if they will miss it :lol: ) and I'm currently uploading 4 RAR Files
containing the ISO image to Filefront but all the uploads and links won't be
ready until tommorrow :wtf:

But Hey Part One is up already so early birds can grab it here:
Download FreeSpaceSCP.part1.rar from FileFront!

Part Two is Up!
Download FreeSpaceSCP.part2.rar from FileFront!

Links Three and Four Will be up tomorrow, Stay Tuned! :pimp:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 05:46:12 pm by hip63 »
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
But Hey Part One is up already so early birds can grab it here:
Download FreeSpaceSCP.part1.rar from FileFront!

Part Two is Up!
Download FreeSpaceSCP.part2.rar from FileFront!

Links Three and Four Will be up tomorrow, Stay Tuned! :pimp:

Currently downloading parts 1 & 2. I'm interested to see how this turns out.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
Hurray!   :D

The fourth & final part 4 is up!
Download FreeSpaceSCP.part4.rar from FileFront!

let me know what you think & don't forget to vote!

Oh and fear not those of limited bandwidth, I've started up loading the FSSCP installer I made in 100mb chunks, it should be up by evening.

hip63 :p
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 12:19:29 pm by hip63 »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
@hip63: Just to let you know, I got your DVD in the mail today.  I'll see if I can't do something tomorrow after work, thx.
Oh, BTW... You've uploaded to FileFront already.  Where do you want me to stick this bad boy?  :nervous:  Of course, I'll burn copies for my friends, but if someone's got server space somewheres, just say the word... or did you want to "borrow" more bandwidth?  ;) 

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
Like that lavish packaging ;)

Park that puppy for d/l where ever you can :)

Work is too busy these days to do anything except for work :(

Enjoy the Disk and let me know what you think :D

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
And no return address!  Darn!  I was hoping for someplace to lose this *nthra*.  :lol:

what about some sort of internet ordering that people can pay for shiping exactly via internet, such as paypal, and then having the volunteers ship it?  Also is there a Image CD Art that one can burn onto a DVD via lightscribe or print on a sticker or what ever people use or shall i have to make my own?  ;)  I'm tempted to dl it now but I think I want to wait till mediavps are updated.  You say turry's updater is part of the package?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 10:07:15 pm by Darklord42 »