Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 762651 times)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
Screw the retail cd's. fso has so much stuff you need to download and put in manually, and it really is more than just vp's and new scp releases. Several graphical things aren't in the vp's yet like dab more sane beams, nameplate dds, and the new subspace vortex affect.
The installer does it all for me now. Now all i put in manually is the more sane beams, nameplate dds, and the new subspace vortex. A degree for clamoring around the forums to grab this and that, and putting it here and there, has been eliminated.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Amity

Well. Seems the Installer has been taken down (and I'm stuck with a half-finished installation now -.-). According to the link here: http://www.fsoinstaller.com/ it was taken down on purpose. And manual installation... arghs.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
EDIT: changed so links point to current version from Turey, as the Installer is back up.
EDIT2: That'd better be the current version of the Java Utilities!  ;)
EDIT3: Changed to link to here.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 01:46:28 am by jr2 »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
*snort* Prolly get in trouble, but...
1st, un-install all Java runtime environments older than version 6 (not to be confused with version 5 update 6)  - ie, if it doesn't say "Java (TM) SE Runtime Environment 6" in Add/Remove Programs (in Control Panel)
*RESTART COMPUTER*
2nd, install JRE 6: http://www.filehippo.com/download_java_runtime/tech/ (link to d'l is on right)
3rd, download, unzip & install: http://www.geocities.com/joshuap_richards/javautilities.zip
4th, download & double-click: http://www.geocities.com/joshuap_richards/FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar
Keep in mind that the installer was probably taken down for a reason. :wtf: that could be, I don't know.

I'd be very surprised if that works, as the first thing the Installer does is check for a new version. If it can't find the page, it will try to get a new version.

That said, the Installer should be back up in 24 hours.

EDIT: It's back up.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 06:16:13 pm by Turey »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Ok, so do we get to find out why it was taken down?  A bugfix?  Do I have to d'l a new version?
:fidget:

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Ok, so do we get to find out why it was taken down?  A bugfix?  Do I have to d'l a new version?
:fidget:

Apparently, this is a lesser-known feature of the Installer, but if your version of the Installer is out-of-date, it'll tell you when you run it.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Ah, very good... does it also download a new version of itself?  ;)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Ah, very good... does it also download a new version of itself?  ;)

Yes. It opens it up in your web browser, which should then ask you to save it.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
:cool:  You're the best, man!! :yes: :nod:

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
SoulStorm's OSX Launcher has been added.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Ok, I've a question:
Is there a way to support TC MODs that use their own installer, are not compatible with normal FSO builds, and/or use FileFront or similar?
ie, link to their FileFront d'l page possible, if the Installer user wants to get the MOD.  The best way to implement this I think would be to give the user an option to either:
a) Go to the d'l site.
b) Copy the d'l site to the clipboard.
c) Save a shortcut to the d'l site.

Just a thought; to try to get more attention to great MODs like WCA Prologue and Inferno and TBP.
If that is not a good idea, just ignore it.

The reason I wrote this is that I contacted those Modders (WCA, etc) and they said that given the current restrictions on the Installer, they couldn't make it work (ie, no support for TC MODs)

meh... I'm sleepy; if this doesn't make sense, someone tell me to shut up I will.
XD 
I'm goin' ta bed!  -Night!

EDIT: New Threads I made to contact MODs:
WCSaga
BWO
TBP
Inferno
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 08:29:25 am by jr2 »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Ok, I've a question:
Is there a way to support TC MODs that use their own installer,
Sure, I can have it download their installer.

are not compatible with normal FSO builds,
As long as, when run, they don't install to the FreeSpace2 dir.

and/or use FileFront or similar?
No. I can't interact with FileFront and it's ilk, and TCs are probably better served with a campaign list. If it doesn't need the FreeSpace2 files, it probably shouldn't be put into the Installer.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
No. I can't interact with FileFront and it's ilk, and TCs are probably better served with a campaign list. If it doesn't need the FreeSpace2 files, it probably shouldn't be put into the Installer.

I still like the idea of them at least being able to link to their own websites from the installer and download their installer if (like WCS) they have webspace you can interact with.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Maybe a solution would be to have the Installer give the option of visiting the campaign list site?  Maybe you could even make a TC page that the Installer could link to, I dunno.

will the installer include this mac launcher in some future date? http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,44568.0.html

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
will the installer include this mac launcher in some future date? http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,44568.0.html

SoulStorm's OSX Launcher has been added.

:)

Anyways, Installer updated. Changelog will be updated soon, but here's what changed:
1. The command prompt is no longer used. At all. This change means that I can now guarantee that this feature will work on every single box and OS.
2. Now, if you close the installer halfway through, it'll still record which sections you finished, so that when you start it again, you'll be able to start at least fairly close to where you left off.
3. It now generates two new text files, installer_error.log and installer_status.log. The first one records any errors that occur during the installation, so if you leave it overnight, you can still see if anything went wrong. The second one records all the progress text displayed on the screen during the installation, so you can see exactly what appeared on the screen when it was run, even if you let it run overnight.

These advances have come at a cost, though: The Installer now weighs in at 12KB (.jar, up from 9KB) and 48MB (.exe, up from 20MB).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 05:30:01 pm by Turey »

:eek2:  Oh my goodness, 12 whole kb!! How will we ever fit fs2 onto our hardrives with that monster installer?!?! :p

Even 40mb isn't bad if you consider that evreything on the installer amounts to over 4 gigs.
All in all this update is good news and im glad to here it :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 07:04:22 pm by Darklord42 »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
All of three hours and I've already found a large bug.  :sigh:

Re-uploading now.

EDIT: Wow that's horrible. :sigh:

The increase from 20 to 40MB was because I had it on Store instead of Normal.

It's back at 20MB now.

EDIT2: Alright, fixed version is up now.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 08:32:12 pm by Turey »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Emm, not to be stupid, but I'm probably going to be anyways...
Would using MS .Net Framework cut down on the size for the .exe installer?
Be aware I have no clue what would be required to do that, so I'm just suggesting this blindly.  Tell me to go sit in the corner if it won't work.  :) :b

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Emm, not to be stupid, but I'm probably going to be anyways...
Would using MS .Net Framework cut down on the size for the .exe installer?
Be aware I have no clue what would be required to do that, so I'm just suggesting this blindly.  Tell me to go sit in the corner if it won't work.  :) :b

Probably not. Also, I'm not touching .net with a ten foot pole.