Author Topic: Default C:\Games directory quick question  (Read 1193 times)

Default C:\Games directory quick question
Hey guys, I was away for a few years and I got a bit off track trying to get the FS2 and Btrl & Diaspora games installed.
I kept running into errors and ended up copying my old working directory from an old hard drive (dumb move) over.
I since setup Knossos and getting stuff updated.

My question:
What files and folders should exist in the C:\Games directory for a default setup of FreeSpace2?
I have a bunch of exe's and vp files laying around in C:\Games, I just want to know what to move to junk folder.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:26:27 pm by KewlToyZ »

Re: Default C:\Games directory quick question
Well Knossos finished updating files for me and I ran some file integrity checks where I could.
But.... it wouldn't run FS2 without a ton of errors after about 30 I just hit cancel.
Knossis is stuck on "Applying Engine Flags" 0% at the bottom.
I know my default install of FS2 is just copied over from the old hard drive.
I haven't found the CD yet. So this is probably the issue.
Any work arounds when it starts telling me:

Error: icons.tbl(line 6):
Error: Missing required token: [#Start]. Found [:] instead.

File: parselo.cpp
Line: 290

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 10 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 156 bytes
fs2_open_3_8_0_x64_AVX.exe! <no symbol>
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 13 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlUserThreadStart + 29 bytes

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Since Knossos uses a completely separate directory from any other installation, I'd just clean out C:\Games entirely except keep the files in the attached screenshot and the data folder.  Move them to somewhere else.  Then uninstall Knossos and make sure %appdata%\knossos is empty.  Then reinstall Knossos (the default is C:\Games\FreespaceOpen and just keep that) and move the saved files and folder back into an FS2 subfolder, which you might have to create.  You'll need to download FSO again.
I've attached a screenshot of roughly what C:\Games\FreespaceOpen should look like at the end.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Thank you!!!
I found a clean free download of the GOG Retail FreeSpace2 and I'm doing a completely clean install on my high end laptop now :D
Mainly so I have a clean non hosed setup to work with Knossos on.
So far so good.
I got really lost a few weeks back when I tried navigating the forums and just literally confused the crap out of myself with old posts.
Many of the older post links were to pay sites or broken so I was a little frustrated.
I came back and looked things over and once I found the Knossos it all made sense!
Thanks all for the assistance as always. Great community!

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Actually, what kind of pay sites? I think there was a different user complaining about such things when looking for older downloads too.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Hi Mito, When I went looking for the GOG download and some other older launchers I ended up seeing it as a register and membership pay to download from older thread links.
I can't really remember the exact threads unfortunately.
I was getting a bit walleyed paging through them and trying to follow different recommendations on older launchers and installers besides Knossos.
I was bouncing back and forth between machines trying different things too from my old hard drive because I was missing my Freespace 2 CD.
I know it is in a box somewhere. But I've moved a few times over the years.
I thought at some point I read Newman saying they were going to add the Stealthstar or the Laura Stealth fighter to Diaspora?
I haven't really looked up any of that yet in the threads. I just finished going through the entire Shattered Armistice and it was addicting!
I'm thoroughly impressed by the way the game has been laid out and improved upon from BTRL.
The overall feel and gameplay is really a lot of fun. I'm thankful to enjoy this labor of love.