Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 146738 times)

Offline watsisname

Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
I'm not seeing any games.  Should we try going back to the old version of D2X-XL?

Also I'm getting a weird bug in this latest version:  When I make a pilot, the game will not allow me to load missions.  For example, if I click "start single player game", nothing happens.  The same is true when I try starting a multiplayer game and I try choosing a level for it.
This bug does not occur in the old version, or if I use the default player.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 mu
That's strange. I'll try hosting a game with the old version. I think I still have that on my other computer.

[edit] I'm not sure what's going on, but it's a problem on my end. I seem to have lost my ability to host even with the older version. I can't see my own game off another connection. I'll mess around with a few settings and see if I can get it to work again.

[edit2] Found the problem. The computer's local address had somehow been reassigned and I hadn't updated the router's port forwarding address to match that. Sorry for the trouble. If you're still up for it, we could try again.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 12:07:05 am by CP5670 »

Offline watsisname

Sure thing.  Let's see if it works...

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'll start it up in a moment. Let's hope it works this time.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I saw you join and leave a couple of times. Is it giving some error?

Offline watsisname

I saw the game this time, but I had the evil missing packets bug.  
I'm not sure, but does the "enable short packets" fix this?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think I already have that enabled. I used to get that error quite a bit in our earlier games, but I don't remember exactly what we did to get around it.

I'm going to play around with the settings for a bit and see if I can get it to work for myself.

Offline watsisname

Ugh... what about trying the latest version again?  Now that the games are visible, maybe it will work better there.
Edit:  Ok, whichever works.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I guess it's still not working? I was using the latest version that time.

I tried turning off the short packets option and was able to join my own game correctly about 1 out of 3 tries, which is at least better than before.

Offline watsisname

Hmm, not sure what to do then.  I guess we could keep trying if you want.  Sometimes when used to get missing packets, it just took a lot of tries and then it worked.

Also, how exactly did you fix your router to match your computer adress?  I think this is the same issue I've been having with my games so it would be great if I could fix that as well.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, I also remember just trying to join like 10 times and it working at some point. I'll try giving it one last shot. If it still doesn't work I guess we'll just wait a few days until someone else who can host is free, in case it has something to do with my connection.

If you type your IP address into a browser, you can access the router's settings. It will ask for a user/password and there should be some menu in there to open up ports for games.

Offline watsisname

Okay, this time I was able to get in one of the times, but then a couple of weird error messages came up and the game CTD'd.  I wasn't able to see what the errors said or get a screenshot because they flashed by too quickly.  :doubt:

So yeah, let's try this again another time when someone can host.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I also got several strange errors at one point, some stuff relating to the level geometry. They kept looping indefinitely and I couldn't exit the sequence, so I had to close down the process manually. Oh well.

Also, in the future I think it might be helpful if we get on some IM program when trying to get a game going, as the forum doesn't really work well for real-time communication. I have old ICQ and MSN accounts that I haven't used in years, but they may be useful here.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 01:11:03 am by CP5670 »

Offline watsisname

Yeah, I agree using some IM would be nice for doing this.
I use AIM right now, so you could either sign up for that or I'll sign up for MSN... whichever's easier.

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
i got an idea
hlp vs dbb :nod:

We'd be outnumbered and out-gunned.... sounds fun :D count me in if I'm not at school or asleep.
The DBB guys have never stopped playing Descent. They would wipe you away, trust me. They have some insane flying skills. I don't play a lot (rather code), and to me it sometimes looks like magic. Really.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Any progress on some of the bugs we've been facing? Finals are over, I can try hosting if someone would like to try joining. Just say the word. :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
If you want me to fix bugs, you need to provide precise descriptions including a way to reproduce them (halfway) reliably. I have fixed a few bugs just today however that could cause all kinds of strange behaviour.

Btw, have you seen this already: ;)

Fixed the crash bug caused by that Orion mission. It seems to be buggy though: The trigger at the blue key does nothing. I'd like to know whether it did something with the descent 1 exe, and if so, what it's supposed to do.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 05:53:05 pm by karx11erx »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That looks great. :yes: Is that the black pyro model from D3?

Here is a post I made on the last page, in case you missed it:

I'm posting this bug report here since DBB won't let me register for some reason. (it keeps saying my username has already been taken, no matter what I try using  :confused:)

I have been playing through the old D1 Orion Nebula Project level pack through D2X-XL and am running into a few problems. The briefings aren't showing up at all for some reason, even though the txb filename matches up. Also, it seems whenever I fly into a pass-through trigger, the game instantly crashes out. This can be seen in the 5th level of ONP for example, at the point where you get the blue key, but also occurs in some of the other levels.

I haven't tried the latest version though, if these things have been fixed in that.

As for the multiplayer bugs, basically whenever a player tried to join my game, it gave some generic error for him (don't remember the exact wording, but I think it just said a join error has occurred) and didn't get past the server list menu. On the host machine, it looked like the other player had joined, but he wasn't doing anything and after a few seconds he left the game. I don't know if this was an issue with the game or my connection though.

The looping error thing I mentioned earlier only occurred once and was quite random.

[edit] never mind, didn't read your earlier post fully. I don't really remember if that trigger did anything. I think there were a few trigger types in D1 that don't appear in D2 (the ones that change your energy or shields), so it could possibly have been one of those. I'll have to try it out in D1 3dfx on my retro computer and see if it does anything.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 06:09:03 pm by CP5670 »

Offline watsisname

As for the multiplayer bugs, basically whenever a player tried to join my game, it gave some generic error for him (don't remember the exact wording, but I think it just said a join error has occurred) and didn't get past the server list menu. On the host machine, it looked like the other player had joined, but he wasn't doing anything and after a few seconds he left the game. I don't know if this was an issue with the game or my connection though.
It was the standard missing packets error:  "Connection Failed:  You are missing packets", or something along those lines.  I think that this due to the nature of the conection and use of UDP communication though, rather than being a bug in D2X-XL.  *shrug*

karx11erx:  Ooh, I like that.  :):yes:

Ulala:  How does Tuesday night sound, or otherwise sometime this weekend?

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
CP5670,

yeah, please try the mission with D1 3dfx. D2X-XL does handle the special D1 trigger types, but this trigger has no attributes at all when viewing it with a level editor (I tried both DLE-XP and DMB2, in case I had messed up something in DLE-XP that had been working in DMB2). Though it is possible though, I can't quite believe that a trigger put right in front of a blue key access should do nothing.

Concerning your DBB registration: The DBB has changed servers a few times recently, which has caused login problems by users who didn't clear their cookies after such moves. You may want to clear all cookies and access it via http://www.descentbb.net, maybe that helps. If not, I'll ask KoolBear about it (he runs the DBB). He will certainly be able to help you out. :)

The ship is not the Black Pyro, but a PyroGL model Eagle had built for Descent 4. It has about 1500 faces (polygons). Someone converted it to the Descent 3 model format (OOF - Outrage Object Format, also used in Descent:Freespace ;)) and put it in a Descent 3 hog file. I extracted it from there and built OOF handling capabilities into D2X-XL. Theoretically D2X-XL could now handle hires robots in OOF. I'd need to add spatial animation handling, but that shouldn't be too hard. All I need is a modeler. :D

Edit:

I have fixed the bug causing D1 custom mission briefings not to be played.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 08:01:51 am by karx11erx »