Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 148165 times)

Offline watsisname

Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
Ah, I closed it just before you checked. =/
Should I put it up again, or shall we just have CP host again?
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
CP, we know his works.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'll set up a game in a minute.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have the game up now and can see it off another connection. Is it visible for you guys?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
And it was...

But D2-XL hated us all!!!

so....

What do people think of Descent 3?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This thing is really unstable. I got yet another app error and CTD. We could try another Panic anarchy game as that worked fairly well, but I don't think anything else is going to work.

I used to play D3 quite a bit a few years ago. That would also be fun to try out, especially as there should be fewer stability issues and other problems with it.

I've made over 20 posts today, most of them 1 or 2 lines long.

The old vB forum had a feature that allowed you to see how many posts each person has made in a thread. That would have been interesting here.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 12:02:07 am by CP5670 »

Offline watsisname

Yeah, it was fun while it lasted guys, but I don't think we're going to be able to make a worthwhile play of D2X-XL with all these errors and freezes... at least not anytime soon.

I would love to try out D3 though.  I'll install it later today and see how it handles on the laptop.  Shall we do it next weekend, usual times?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Sounds good, use the 1.4 patch so were all on the same version, I wouldn't ask anyone to upgrade to 1.5, as it is "expirimental".

I suppose the Blackshark and Black Pyro are out.

For anarchy Veins is a popular one, the whole lot of Fury is good, and there's always the Bedlam pack.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
What does 1.5 do? Does it fix that bug with the render depth setting?

There are quite a few nice levels in D3. Fury generally works well for small (2-4 player) anarchy games if I remember correctly. Do you have the Mercenary pack with the four extra multiplayer levels?

A monsterball game would also be fun to try. I used to love that game type and haven't seen anything quite like it in any game since D3.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Quote from: www.descent3.com
This 1.5 patch is unofficial, incomplete and unsupported. There are no guarantees for the patch's stability or functionality. The unofficial 1.5 patch is not compatible with version 1.4 nor is it compatible with the Mac or Linux clients. That being said, some players and game servers are using this unofficial beta patch as it does contain some playability fixes. Use at your own risk.
That's as much info as I can find ATM

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
I have never encountered game freezes with D2X-XL, and it doesn't help complaining here about it and not filing bug reports.

You can run D2X-XL using the -printlog parameter and post the file d2x.log, which is written to folder where D2X-XL resides, on descentbb.net in the D2X-XL bug report threads.

Today I have been able to pin down a bug inhibiting joining a server, related to the version mismatch bug.

Please also try to create new player profiles. Recently I had introduced a change to D2X-XL that messed up older player profiles. Not really my fault, the player file format is not suited to bigger changes.

Please also make sure you are using the most recent D2X-XL.hog file. I have recently added an inventory system for cloaks and invuls, and if you have D2X-XL display the equipment icons and are still using an older d2x-xl.hog, it will miss the bitmaps for these two and crash.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 06:55:00 pm by karx11erx »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I think we all assumed that it was our own ignorance and not a bug that was the problem.

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
It's never a bad idea to ask the creator. ;)

I am currently having one bug report about the ship freezing (not the entire game) after being killed and respawning. I haven't been able to reproduce it yet though. If this happens to any of you and you have a procedure to (half-way) reliably reproduce it, please describe it to me, ok? :)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
So just to make sure, do you think it was that (or any) error that we can't see eachothers UDP/IP games in 1.6.61 and .51?

CP or Ulala, if you could try putting up a game somtime this week (I'm free every day but monday) we can see if this new build works

And what's DLE-XP?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 09:27:17 pm by Mars »

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Yes, that's what I think.

DLE-XP is the most recent incarnation of the Descent 1+2 level editor, maintained by me as well.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Sorry I missed this weekend, RL issuestm. I can put up a server tomorrow and I should hopefully be able to maintain it throughout the week. Which version do you want the server to be? The latest version? Or the older version we've been using?

I don't have descent 3.  :(
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Quote from: Ulala
I don't have descent3.  :(
Then we should definitely get D2-XL to work

Use the latest version, maybe it was the version error bug that we were struggling with.

@krax11erx: Thanks so much for your help.

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
I really want this to work for you. So if it still shouldn't, I will prepare some debug versions offering additional output to the log file and that should help me to pin any remaining networking issues down. I might also take part in one of your mp sessions and debug while playing.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Latest version it is then. I'll download it now. Everyone who wants to play: BE SURE TO UPDATE!  :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline watsisname

karx11erx:  I hate to ask you this, but I feel like I have tried everything and with no luck whatsoever.  Basically, I can't get any version of D2X-XL from 1.6.58 or newer to run.  (I've tried 1.6.58 and 1.6.66)  If I start the program, it opens a small black window and then quits almost instantly, without any error report.  Looking through the directory, I found a text file called "stderr", which says "Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)".  I haven't seen that text file in any other version of D2X-XL that I've had work, so I'm pretty sure that it's related to the crashing issue.

Any idea on what's causing or how to fix this?  I'll try a debug version if you can get one ready.

Ulala:  Go ahead with the game.  Hope it works for you all. :)