Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3034077 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Re: W-H-I-Y-L It's over 1000!!!!! (pages)
posting moar cats!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

I had an engineering professor at TAMU who once described helicopters as, "a fatigue test surrounded by an oil leak."  Still makes me smile.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Not sure.  I'm practically guaranteed a waiver for my eyesight if I want to fly (and LASIK if I ask for it), so I might just go that route and take a trip through Warrant Officer School and pilot helos for a few years.  I can think of more boring ways to serve. :D
Interdasting. Keep us updated, I'm interested to see how our selection processes differ. And best of luck! I'm getting my laser eye surgery done this July, so that'll be two in our boat!

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I had an engineering professor at TAMU who once described helicopters as, "a fatigue test surrounded by an oil leak."  Still makes me smile.

LOL.  My buddy is a RCF Gryphon pilot.  I am totally stealing that line next time I see him [in the absence of his wife]!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
I just ate a whole bag of Famous Amos cookies.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Not sure.  I'm practically guaranteed a waiver for my eyesight if I want to fly (and LASIK if I ask for it), so I might just go that route and take a trip through Warrant Officer School and pilot helos for a few years.  I can think of more boring ways to serve. :D
Interdasting. Keep us updated, I'm interested to see how our selection processes differ. And best of luck! I'm getting my laser eye surgery done this July, so that'll be two in our boat!
That's something I'm really looking into, too. Trying to get through college has gotten me all kinds of trouble to say the least.

Anyway, best of luck, whatever route you choose.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I am now a graduate of Aberdeen University with a Bachelors of Science with Honours in Zoology :)
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I read that as, "Now qualified to find Nessie." :p

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I read that as, "Now qualified to find Nessie." :p

Ah, if only Scotland's favourite cryptid was real and I could prove it :P
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
That's something I'm really looking into, too. Trying to get through college has gotten me all kinds of trouble to say the least.

Anyway, best of luck, whatever route you choose.
Be careful with that one, dude. Just going to offer my opinion that you should stay away from the military if it's the GI benefits you're after in the end. The military's one massive ***** and it only gets harder to bear if you're not liking life in uniform. If I read that correctly, of course!

I am now a graduate of Aberdeen University with a Bachelors of Science with Honours in Zoology :)
Congratulations!

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Cheers Dilmah  :)

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I am not saying the are components are crude, I am saying the concept is.  The fact that continual application of power is needed in order to prevent falling at terminal velocity dosn't strike you as inefficient? combine that with the need to continually use power to stop the thing from counter spinning the rotors?  Compared to a the average fixed wing where loss of power don't equal vertical drop, and you don't have to waste power on a secondary function to prevent crashing.

that is only one helicopter configuration. my favorite configuration is the intermeshing rotor and the coaxial rotor is pretty impressive as well. both designs address the issue of retreating blade stall and dissymmetry of lift, they aldo dont waste engine power on driving a tail rotor by eliminating it entirely. why the classic single rotor design is still used is beyond me, its probibly less expensive, and adequate for civilian applications. of course you can still do away with the tail rotor on a single rotor copter with the NOTAR system. though i figure the future of helicopters is going to be complex multi-rotor designs, aka deathtraps, because humans always pick the most absurd route to engineering advances.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Whatever their mechanical quirks, helicopters are still pretty damn cool, and the main point is that I could actually get to learn to fly them, which trumps all other points on the scale of interesting.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I am not saying the are components are crude, I am saying the concept is.  The fact that continual application of power is needed in order to prevent falling at terminal velocity dosn't strike you as inefficient? combine that with the need to continually use power to stop the thing from counter spinning the rotors?  Compared to a the average fixed wing where loss of power don't equal vertical drop, and you don't have to waste power on a secondary function to prevent crashing.

that is only one helicopter configuration. my favorite configuration is the intermeshing rotor and the coaxial rotor is pretty impressive as well. both designs address the issue of retreating blade stall and dissymmetry of lift, they aldo dont waste engine power on driving a tail rotor by eliminating it entirely. why the classic single rotor design is still used is beyond me, its probibly less expensive, and adequate for civilian applications. of course you can still do away with the tail rotor on a single rotor copter with the NOTAR system. though i figure the future of helicopters is going to be complex multi-rotor designs, aka deathtraps, because humans always pick the most absurd route to engineering advances.
coaxial rotors are brilliant things and as you say they actually fix many issues the things have, including asymmetric lift, shame only the Russians seem to be interested in them in any serious way.  I still would prefer to be in a fixed wing if the engines fail.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Whatever their mechanical quirks, helicopters are still pretty damn cool, and the main point is that I could actually get to learn to fly them, which trumps all other points on the scale of interesting.

Now's the perfect time to learn how to fly, since the higher-end heli's take care of most of the stabilization :).

Yes, exactly. Helicopters are far less efficient at slow speeds because most of the power used is directed towards achieving zero-weight buoyancy. At higher speeds, I think the efficiency reaches that of an airplane (and yes, there are super-sonic helicopters).

But the main point about helicopters is their hovering and VTOL ability. Even the JSF can toast bystanders on the ground while it's landing/taking off, much less burn down an open grass field. Helicopters don't have this issue.

The V-22 Osprey Bi-tilt-rotor is perhaps the best combination of a helicopter and airplane, since it can change flight modes to suit the need. Thankfully the engineers worked out that nasty spiral-of-doom problem with it, so they're safe.

There's also some archived plans for a V-44 Quad-tilt-rotor that's about the size of an AC-130. (Basically it's the heavy-lift version of the V-22).
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

coaxial rotors are brilliant things and as you say they actually fix many issues the things have, including asymmetric lift, shame only the Russians seem to be interested in them in any serious way.  I still would prefer to be in a fixed wing if the engines fail.

on a large enough aircraft an engine failure can be pretty catastrophic. you have a large massive object with a huge cross section causing a large amount of drag. not to mention producing any large amount of lift will also ramp up the drag, thus bleeding off more potential energy. a smaller, lighter aircraft with low overall drag can glide quite well. a heavy vehicle can glide too, case in point: the space shuttle. of course you have teams of experts planning the glide slope out in detail before you even think about reentry, and the computer does most of the heavy lifting in that case, and the obvious fact that ti was designed to glide in and has a pilot that knows how to glide heavy vehicles. even a helicopter can autorotate to give you a margin of survivability with an engine failure. but what it really comes down to is: does the aircraft have enough potential energy to reach a runway, or for a helicopter, any mostly flat clearing? and secondarily: how skilled is your pilot?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
RIP Andy Griffith :(

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
My Mac was having issues connecting to my modem, so I shifted the latter about 2 cm closer and switched back to my ISP's DNS server. That apparently solved the problem. :wtf:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:38:46 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Took me several hours to figure out how to fix Halo 2
I was successful
Now I can fill this lack of storyline
"No"