Author Topic: [RELEASE] - Frontlines 2334  (Read 35592 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
On behalf of the team, thanks for your criticism.  :)
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Lorric

Re: [RELEASE] - Frontlines 2334
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, thank you for taking the time to post. :)

I know what you mean about the wingmen. You could have missions where a quota of allies must survive, but such a thing can often be really annoying.

I guess you could just think of it as since we're telling stories of the Frontlines, this is the story of where the fighting was thickest, not a story of where it was typical, with eventless routine patrols and little skirmishes.

And yes, there's no need to be afraid of being hit by the beams, since there aren't any in this period. :D

Thank you for the mod. I am trying to load it. What is "FSPort 3.4"? I've got FS2 3.6.18 installed?

Offline Lorric

Thank you for the mod. I am trying to load it. What is "FSPort 3.4"? I've got FS2 3.6.18 installed?
It's the build for the Freespace 1 Port:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84358.0

Since we're using that for this mod, you'll need it. If you're confused, I'm sure you'll be able to get some help on the support board:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=151.0

Don't worry about 3.6.18 that's something else, although this was tested with 3.7.0 which you might want to grab.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Trying to download this, but Mediafire is only giving me like 10kb/s and then craps out halfway through with a corrupted .7z. Any chance of uploading this campaign elsewhere? FSMods or the reborn F2S perhaps?
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
That's very odd - Mediafire is usually pretty reliable. Maybe try again in a day or so?

I'm up at work for the next week, so I don't have reliable enough internet to re upload it for you, so unless someone else is able to do that (if anyone does, please make sure you use the latest version), I will get it up on F2S  as soon as I get home. But hopefully mediafire will come good for you before then.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Waited a day and, indeed, it's working fine now. Not sure what the problem was, but oh well.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:26:13 am by Hunter »
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hahaha! That was actually me... and I thought I had uploaded it to the FSPort campaigns folder.  At least, that's what I had selected when I dropped the file onto the webpage, so I'm not sure what happened?

Incidentally, when I login as the upload user now, I can no longer see the entire Projects, Campaigns and TCs tree? It shows up when I'm not logged in.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Hunter

• Sectorgame
Yeah I'm fiddling about with the folders right now, so the permissions weren't setup correctly when you logged in. Edit: Should be ok now.
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Waited a day and, indeed, it's working fine now. Not sure what the problem was, but oh well.

Glad its working for you, hope you enjoy the campaign. :)

Niffiwan & Hunter:  Cheers for the upload, I will as the mirror to the first post.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Hunter

• Sectorgame

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
 :eek:

For shame! Why is Frontlines not in the installer? Get free exposure!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Vrets

This is my next campaign to play. At some point I will post a nearly unreadable, mission-by-mission review.

If you're lucky, I may even upload some hate-filled bug reports because I have like fifty .vp files in my root directory and nothing ever works.

>retail AI
>orders
good joke.

Auuuugh, what are you talking about?

Good wingman usage usually just means:

• Continually order your wings to focus on one target each to quickly destroy the enemy
  • 'form on my wing' where applicable to keep your squad together

Bad wingman usage is usually C-3-9...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 02:15:24 pm by Vrets »

:bump:

Just finished the campaign, thought I'd drop in to tell you guys I had a lot of fun playing it! You really captured the FS1 atmosphere and gameplay, but with some good enhancements in the mix. I liked that the added ships all really do fill a niche, rather than 'just' throwing them in for variation - BW, your philosophy of 'civilian backgrounds' really does add that extra bit of atmosphere :yes: Especially the main campaign I found quite an interesting challenge, in that the player is really required to order wingmen around (and actually keep them alive) to successfully complete many of the missions. This kept the missions interesting and fun even on the n-th replay ("Hmm, what if I try destroying that cruiser straight away instead of disabling it first?"). Overall: good job, I'm looking forward to more!

(One minor bug report, not sure if you're already aware: the Scarabs in some of the convoy-assault missions have shields)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 11:23:01 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline Lorric

Hey there. Thanks for dropping by! I'm pleased you liked it! :)

Yes, you've identified some of the real strengths of Frontlines imo. Particularly about ordering the Wingmen around, as I personally enjoy doing that no matter what campaign I'm doing. I generally regard my Wingmen as the best weapon in my Arsenal.

Oops. I can guess why that got past me, even though I probably tested those missions more than the rest, I think I always let my wingmen deal with the Scarabs. It's up to Black Wolf if he wants to fix that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Also saw the shots in the screencap competition. That might well be a debut there for Frontlines! :)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Thanks for the review, FSF, and the bug report. :) As far as fixing it goes, there are a couple of niggling bugs like that one that I'd like to fix, when an appropriate rerelease opportunity comes around. I've been considering trying to get 2334 at least voice acted for awhile - if we ever do pull the trigger on that, we'll definitely integrate bugfixes like this into the updated release.

As far as more goes... Well, keep an eye out over the next few weeks. We'll have something to announce in that front soon, I hope. :)
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Lorric

I've been considering trying to get 2334 at least voice acted for awhile

I for one would love to see that.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Me too. :) Hell of a lot of work though, based on the comments I've heard from others who've attempted it.

Still... it is a short campaign. Something to consider anyway.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
BW, catch me on IRC.. I can point you in a good Voice Acting direction. I have had almost no issues getting BtA acted, it just takes a little time due to the scope of the entire script.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.