Poll

Would you be interested in participating in organised battles?

Yes, I'm down for Aus/Pacific time slot
Yes, I'm down for USA time slot
Yes, i'm down for UK/Europe time slot
It's a dumb idea.

Author Topic: Multiplayer battle-nights!  (Read 29952 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Re: Multiplayer battle-nights!
Most times the games are too late for me...
If i can find the password for my router I will host some.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
--snip--

I'll be hosting a game tonight, if I get any response. PM me.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 06:17:27 pm by colecampbell666 »

Gah, whats the time? PST? EST? Central? GMT? Please, I can't make heads or tails of that schedule. I'm available to play between 2PM PST to 5AM PST.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Play right now. Reply and I'll start a game.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
REPLY!

edit: dumbest post ever
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 07:55:12 pm by akenbosch »

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Hey I didn't feel like reading past the first page, so if this has already been suggested, sorry.

Create a calender for maybe two months at a time and two months ahead of time (let's call each two month period of time a rotation), and pick days to have matches. Try to keep the days regular, so it'd be like "every Tuesday and Thursday at 7pm GMT" or something like that. Also, have either multiple times for every few time zones, or find a time so that it fits the most populated time zones well. Post it on the board and have people sign up to host. But post each rotation's calender a rotation ahead of time to give people a chance to sign up to host.

There. Now I bet you it was posted on like the second page and every member found different huge problems in this.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 08:08:48 pm by thesizzler »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Maybe tomorrow.

An alternative I've used for other games is to add people who play the game to an IM list and append the name of the game to an alias: ex: FS2 Trelixian. When both players are online they can get a match going. If anyone thinks that's a good idea, my yahoo and aim is 'raltianwarrior', my msn is [email protected] , and my gabber is misterfett through gmail.

On the topic of battle night, I played some awesome 6 person games on the 11th. People were on around 6-midnight EST.

We should all agree on some sort of instant messenger then. My XFire is S.T.A.R.S-Steve and my MSN is [email protected]. Please send a PM on the forum before a request because I won't accept them unless it is prearranged.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
:welcomepurple:

Trexilian!

EDIT: I think that X-Fire is the best idea because you can launch your game from there.

EDIT2: Everyone E-Mail X-Fire about adding the SCP. IF they see a lot of demand for it, they'll add it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 09:49:08 am by colecampbell666 »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Would this be a good E-Mail to send to X-Fire?

Hello,
     I am part of a group seeking to play FreeSpace 2 online in an organized way. It is an old game, but is constantly upgraded, and the multi-player community is steadily growing. The community was quite large several years ago, and then Parallax Online shut down. We have ressurected it, and hope for it to become a large gaming community If you could add support it would greatly aid the community, found here. You can download the game below.

Cordially,
   Cole Campbell

--
Get Freespace 2 SCP!
http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/installer/FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.zip
You Need OpenAL to run it!
http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46
E-Mail me for instructions!
[email protected]
I'm Awesome!

EDIT: The bottom half is my signature.

Or this message:

Hello,
     I am part of a group seeking to play FreeSpace 2 online in an organized way. It is an old game, but is constantly upgraded, and the multi-player community is steadily growing. The community was quite large several years ago, and then Parallax Online shut down. We have resurrected the multi-player system on a private network, and hope for it to become a large gaming community If you could add support it would greatly aid the community, found here. You can download the game installer here. (Note: you will need OpenAL to run it)

Cordially,
   Cole Campbell

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

EDIT2: and how do I host a game without actually having to play? e.g: Say I wanted to have my PC as a server and leave it up to auto-play a bunch of missions as people joined? How would I do this?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 03:33:57 pm by colecampbell666 »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I don't think we need to get all that elaborate. In Descent 2 last summer, there was basically a core group of three or four of us who played regularly and many others joined in when they saw the games running. The HLP IRC channel is a convenient place to coordinate games for now, although the PXO lobby should be back up in the future. You can check the FS2Net site to see what games are currently running.

EDIT2: and how do I host a game without actually having to play? e.g: Say I wanted to have my PC as a server and leave it up to auto-play a bunch of missions as people joined? How would I do this?

This is unfortunately not possible right now. FS2 has a standalone server feature but it doesn't work in current FSO builds.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I don't think we need to get all that elaborate. In Descent 2 last summer, there was basically a core group of three or four of us who played regularly and many others joined in when they saw the games running. The HLP IRC channel is a convenient place to coordinate games for now, although the PXO lobby should be back up in the future. You can check the FS2Net site to see what games are currently running.

My suggestion or Cole's?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Yours.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
:(

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yours.

No, I meant yours. :p It might be a good idea in general to publicize FS further, but is probably unnecessary in the context of these game sessions.

It should suffice to just announce the times here a few days in advance. Since many people are on summer breaks right now, we can probably afford to have more than one session per week for now.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm, if anyone uses Mozilla FireFox, then go get ChatZilla, and then configure the options to display your nick (eg, jr2), and then click "HLP IRC Channel" at the top of the page.  :)  There's always 5, sometimes 15 ppl on.  This would be a great way to co-ordinate multi.  :nod:

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I've got a radical new idea! Why don't we play on the weekends!?  ;7

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Hmm, if anyone uses Mozilla FireFox, then go get ChatZilla, and then configure the options to display your nick (eg, jr2), and then click "HLP IRC Channel" at the top of the page.  :)  There's always 5, sometimes 15 ppl on.  This would be a great way to co-ordinate multi.  :nod:
Yeah, but almost no one ever talks.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
They might if more ppl (=newbs) were on to ask questions.  :p