Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 378566 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.2.1
I'll have one for you tomorrow.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
For large values of "tomorrow", of course.  Try this build.

Offline Yasuo

:D Thanks, here is the output

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is not promising.  Here is the relevant part of the log:

Code: [Select]
2016-08-16 09:04:59,256 [AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.IOUtils - Loading 'installer_icon.png' via system class loader
2016-08-16 09:04:59,307 [AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.IOUtils - Loading 'top.png' via system class loader
2016-08-16 09:04:59,323 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.wizard.WizardPage - 1
2016-08-16 09:04:59,325 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.wizard.WizardPage - 2
2016-08-16 09:04:59,343 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.wizard.WizardPage - 3
2016-08-16 09:04:59,344 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.wizard.WizardPage - 1

And here is the relevant part of the code:

logger.debug("1");
gui = null;
configuration = Configuration.getInstance();
logger.debug("2");

backButton = new JButton(new BackAction());
nextButton = new JButton(new NextAction());
cancelButton = new JButton(new CancelAction());

logger.debug("3");
oldNextText = null;
oldNextToolTip = null;

logger.debug("1");
// set sizes
Dimension[] sizes = new Dimension[]
{
backButton.getPreferredSize(),
nextButton.getPreferredSize(),
cancelButton.getPreferredSize()
};
int maxWidth = -1;
int maxHeight = -1;
logger.debug("4");

Presumably, the latest implementation of OpenJDK has a problem with the JButton or Dimension class.  Either that or it has an even more fundamental problem with variable assignment or array reference management.

Offline Roenok

Hi all,

I am new to FSO2 and this wonderful installer :-) I am running into some issues when I am trying to download all the additional stuff. The installer keeps failing. I have tried running it with elevated privileges, but no luck. I have attached the log files from java. There is a lot of information in there but I ma not that knowledgeable with it to pick out the root cause. I am running Windows 10 with the latest version of Java.
I can manually download the files so resolving/downloading does not seem to be the issue.

Offline Yasuo

Presumably, the latest implementation of OpenJDK has a problem with the JButton or Dimension class.
After testing with some basic code examples from the web, I cant say for sure. With OpenJDK 9, the examples compiled successfully but crashed at runtime with a segfault while they ran without error using OpenJDK 7. I had to comment lines containing (each line on it's own resulted in a crash when left in the code):
JButton test: worked without
  frame.pack();
  frame.setVisible(true);
Dimension test: worked without
  FontMetrics fm = getFontMetrics(f1);
  g.drawString(displayText, horizontalPos, verticalPos);

Seems hard to believe that something that basic has been overlooked (perhaps I am doing something wrong), I don't know if a bugreport is necessary, this should already have been reported.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I am new to FSO2 and this wonderful installer :-) I am running into some issues when I am trying to download all the additional stuff. The installer keeps failing. I have tried running it with elevated privileges, but no luck. I have attached the log files from java. There is a lot of information in there but I ma not that knowledgeable with it to pick out the root cause. I am running Windows 10 with the latest version of Java.
I can manually download the files so resolving/downloading does not seem to be the issue.

Your log file features this error pretty frequently:
The site at [...] does not support returning partial content!
But that shouldn't be happening, and if it is, a lot more people should be reporting the issue.  Try this build and post the log again.  I've modified it to print the actual HTTP response code that is triggering that error.

After testing with some basic code examples from the web, I cant say for sure. With OpenJDK 9, the examples compiled successfully but crashed at runtime with a segfault while they ran without error using OpenJDK 7. I had to comment lines containing (each line on it's own resulted in a crash when left in the code):
JButton test: worked without
  frame.pack();
  frame.setVisible(true);
Dimension test: worked without
  FontMetrics fm = getFontMetrics(f1);
  g.drawString(displayText, horizontalPos, verticalPos);

Seems hard to believe that something that basic has been overlooked (perhaps I am doing something wrong), I don't know if a bugreport is necessary, this should already have been reported.

It's a puzzle.  I have a hunch the error is in the getPreferredSize() function; maybe there is a problem in the way OpenJDK interacts with the GUI or the windowing toolkit.

By all means, file a bug report.  It's entirely possible that some innocent graphics change led to a regression crash.  And it's also entirely possible that nobody else who may have experienced this crash has filed a bug report himself.

Offline Roenok

Your log file features this error pretty frequently:
The site at [...] does not support returning partial content!
But that shouldn't be happening, and if it is, a lot more people should be reporting the issue.  Try this build and post the log again.  I've modified it to print the actual HTTP response code that is triggering that error.

I tried this file but it hangs on: Processing is complete; alerting listeners...
Log file attached.

Offline Roenok

I tried this file but it hangs on: Processing is complete; alerting listeners...
Log file attached.

Ok, I found my issue. Seems my proxyserver is doing something to the downloads. This is the first time I see this behavior  but I will dig into it.

Offline Yasuo

By all means, file a bug report.  It's entirely possible that some innocent graphics change led to a regression crash.  And it's also entirely possible that nobody else who may have experienced this crash has filed a bug report himself.

Looking through the bug reports, they already rejected a similar bug for version 9 because it worked in oracles java 8: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8159050
It seems that although I assumed OpenJDK9 to be production ready since it was in the ubuntu repos, it is still in development and not really usable at the moment (since the OpenJDK9 version in the repos is from April, the bugs might have been fixed already)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 07:45:23 pm by Yasuo »

That's a frankly incomprehensible response to a bug report which, as far as I can tell, is correctly filed.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Something to think about... I use OpenAL Soft. The Installer does not recognize that and warns me with a big warning window every time I start the installer that I need OpenAL. Dunno what the solution would be, though.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hmm.  The solution should not depend on the OpenAL version or vendor.  The way the Installer tests for it is simply to do this, which works on Windows:

System.loadLibrary("OpenAL32");
followed by this, which works on Linux:

System.loadLibrary("openal");
I could always add a new name to test.  It's also possible that Java isn't looking in the right place for it.  Do you know in which folder the OpenAL Soft library is located, and what its filename is?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's OpenAL32.dll in /freespace2

I never installed OpenAL on this computer. All I did was download and paste the dll into the FS directory.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:blah:  Okay, try this.  Open up a new console, go to the same directory that contains FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar, and let me know the output of this:
java -version
Then, without closing the console or changing directories, run this:
java -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar
Let me know if it still complains about OpenAL.

EDIT: actually, if you never "installed" OpenAL then that might explain things.  I'll have to add a mechanism that specifically looks inside the FS2 folder.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Yeah, trying to load the system-wide OpenAL DLL will obviously fail if there is no system-wide OpenAL DLL.

It should be noted, however, that you can simply place the OpenAL Soft DLLs in your system folders manually to "install" it system-wide (and therefore use it for things other than FSO).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Can't the Installer just query the version of OpenAL32.dll file in \FreeSpace2 (instead of just checking if the file is present, then you can return an error if no version (corrupt .dll) or incorrect version (outdated?)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Some people may still need to do an install with no elevated permissions or a mobile install, etc, so fixing it to look in the selected folder would be ideal.  In addition, we could look at getting it to install openal soft for the user if none is found, as an option.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Err.  That's what I meant, sorry.  I should've said '%FreeSpace2dir%.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Can't the Installer just query the version of OpenAL32.dll file in \FreeSpace2 (instead of just checking if the file is present, then you can return an error if no version (corrupt .dll) or incorrect version (outdated?)

That's what I meant by "add a mechanism that specifically looks inside the FS2 folder".

Some people may still need to do an install with no elevated permissions or a mobile install, etc, so fixing it to look in the selected folder would be ideal.  In addition, we could look at getting it to install openal soft for the user if none is found, as an option.

The Installer already asks to install OpenAL if it doesn't find it.