Author Topic: The official Saga eyecandy' corner  (Read 46578 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
The official Saga eyecandy' corner
Hey,

I missed this one, so here is the favourite thread again. Post here if you have anything (un)important to say. Even if you don't, please post, I need love.

Now that we have pleasantries out of the way: let's get going with The official Saga eyecandy' corner thread!

Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: The official Saga eyecandy' corner
Wow. I think my Eyes just died from a sugar overdose. Verrrrry Nice.  :nod:
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Updates! Normalmaps! Kamranis! WOOT!

EDIT: AAAAAHHH! And shadows too!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 05:25:19 pm by Talon 1024 »
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Damn, I knew fake screenshots (e.g. first thee pictures are actually renders) were too much. :lol:

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline KeldorKatarn

If nothing else it proved how much the engine would benefit from shadows =)

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Yeah, that would be cool, but then everybody would need a PC like one for "Crysis" in order to play Saga....
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline KeldorKatarn

We're talking VERY simply stencil shadowing here. And there are even more efficient algorithms out there. The problem is that the engine already isn't very performant and basically requires a compete rewrite of the graphics engine part based on modern shader technology.
And possibly a better scene-management too.
But let's not move off topic.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Very nice, I like the new textures. The old Kilrathi ships' textures looked kind of sterile, but these are a distinct improvement.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
We're talking VERY simply stencil shadowing here. And there are even more efficient algorithms out there. The problem is that the engine already isn't very performant and basically requires a compete rewrite of the graphics engine part based on modern shader technology.

bobboau put in stencil shadows eons ago and promptly ripped them out

even on the HTL rendering engine the thing became a SLIDESHOW
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I rember using them and they worked pretty well on my old system, except for Battle for Endor missions.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Not to mention, that most people had TNT2/Geforce 1 GPUs back in those days. I would love to see shadows making it back into the engine, even if not everybody could use those. ;)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
Not to mention, that most people had TNT2/Geforce 1 GPUs back in those days. I would love to see shadows making it back into the engine, even if not everybody could use those. ;)
And hopefully the option of turning them off.

I downloaded that shadow build, and I think it worked pretty well for me.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).

Offline KeldorKatarn

bobboau put in stencil shadows eons ago and promptly ripped them out

even on the HTL rendering engine the thing became a SLIDESHOW

Which is another proof of how inefficient the engine already is and that the graphics engine badly needs a complete modern rewrite. But anyway, as Tolwyn pointed out.. there is better hardware around now and there are more efficient shadows than stencil shadows. E.g. there is a very efficient combination of shadowmaps and stencil shadows out there...

Offline Blasterman

• Discovery Freelancer addict
Yeah, that would be cool, but then everybody would need a PC like one for "Crysis" in order to play Saga....
My poor little box (laptop with an intel onboard video card) runs at 5 FPS with backgrounds on, 30+ if they're off. Must be more detailed than those of Freelancer.
Arrrgh.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
My poor little box (laptop with an intel onboard video card) runs at 5 FPS with backgrounds on, 30+ if they're off. Must be more detailed than those of Freelancer.

I think that you should have less problems in the future with the introduction of the skyboxes. Then again, it will come down to how much video memory your GPU has. Maybe skyboxes will be a solution for you, maybe they won't.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
With its cheap and modular design, the Sha’kar-class transport can be configured to carry anything important to the Kilrathi war machine, including armaments, fuel, general supplies and personnel. Slow, under-armed, under-armored and susceptible to attack by even the lightest Terran fighter, these cannon fodder transports rely on fighters or other capships for protection.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
Awesome.  These new texture jobs make the ships look a lot more like the ones in the WC4/WCP Cutscenes.

Offline starlord

I must say tolwyn, this looks mighty interesting... :nod:

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Thanks! Wait till you see the rest of the fleet. ;)

-WC Saga's beta tester