Author Topic: Next Generation GTVA Ship Features  (Read 5426 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Next Generation GTVA Ship Features
I was just thinking about the shielded turrets that we now know how to implement, as well as things like the installation extensions that Sandwich has implemented - what else do you guys think Next Generation GTVA ships should have? Things could include intra-system jump drives on fighters now as standard, three missile bays - fighterbays on smaller ships, or perhaps other things you can think of. Ideas?  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by Setekh:
I was just thinking about the shielded turrets that we now know how to implement...

We do?  

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I do...I think  

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
boboau knows how to do it

------------------

------------------
                            [email protected]                          Staff member of
Inferno,
Don't loose
your headz
over it.    
Soc Inferno

Project Rebellion
Gost of the past
iqc 102628858
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Neon

Well, i think some lasers, could be replaced by phaser, a continuous fire weapon, that we could only see it leaving of the phaser cannon and when hitting the fighter. It would be a kick-A$$ weapon!  

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
-ultra rapid fire lasers
-high impact mass drivers to throw enemy ships off course
- localised EMP missiles that paralyses the craft hit
- Gravity / particle based beam cannon that can manipulate the operation of jump node
- meson warheads on largeship missiles
- More advanced countermeasures (i.e. actively targeting missiles)
- Limpet Meson mines that attach to ships hulls to blow a hole through
- Rapid fire 'pulverising' beam cannon (i.e. F.E.P. Gun)
- Heat seeking primary cannon (i.e. using minature missile-lets)
- 'Compartmentalised' ships - i.e. divided into numerous susbsytems able to disconnect and function as escape rafts in the event of the ship being destroyed (as oppossed to escape pods)
- Shielding on all ships as standard (reducing the effectiveness of bomber attacks), including on critical containers
- An end to all 'cruiser' class ships, and all corvettes having fighterbays as standard.
- Ships being outfitted in a modular style for mission specific tasks - i.e. so fighterbays can be converted to reactor areas to power additonal beams
- More automated 'drones' in use, for scouting, suicide missions, etc.

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior

Originally posted by aldo_14:
-ultra rapid fire lasers
-high impact mass drivers to throw enemy ships off course
- localised EMP missiles that paralyses the craft hit
- Gravity / particle based beam cannon that can manipulate the operation of jump node
- meson warheads on largeship missiles
- More advanced countermeasures (i.e. actively targeting missiles)
- Limpet Meson mines that attach to ships hulls to blow a hole through
- Rapid fire 'pulverising' beam cannon (i.e. F.E.P. Gun)
- Heat seeking primary cannon (i.e. using minature missile-lets)
- 'Compartmentalised' ships - i.e. divided into numerous susbsytems able to disconnect and function as escape rafts in the event of the ship being destroyed (as oppossed to escape pods)
- Shielding on all ships as standard (reducing the effectiveness of bomber attacks), including on critical containers
- An end to all 'cruiser' class ships, and all corvettes having fighterbays as standard.
- Ships being outfitted in a modular style for mission specific tasks - i.e. so fighterbays can be converted to reactor areas to power additonal beams
- More automated 'drones' in use, for scouting, suicide missions, etc.

This probably involves a lot of miniaturisation of existing stuff... which would make Cruiser class vessels still viable in combat situations

It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
Leviathans and Fenri refitted to have no crew, just computer systems linked to the central computers of the station/destroyer they're protecting. This would make a loss of one much less devestating, and potentially gives them an advantage as their tactics are coordinated by the tactician onboard the station/destroyer.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
yeah, and an advantage to the enemy too, who just has to jam the coms or even hack the ship so it tgurns against the GTA. cool idea  
SCREW CANON!

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html

Originally posted by aldo_14:

First, I don't think cap ships need shields, not the biggest ones anyway.  Maybe crusiers.

Which is second, *KABONG* How dare you suggest such a thing!

Personally, I'd like to work towards developing effective ammo based primaries (I think someone figured this out, but I can't remember who or how).  And from the current development of ships, I'd like to see destroyers wholly dedicated to carrier or battleship type warfare.

And maybe Victorious style armor and main cannons. . .

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

Offline Slasher

What features would I like to see on next gen GTVA warships?

How 'bout biotechnology?  I know it's not really a "feature", but it could lead to a lot of cool stuff.  Armor that adapts and eventually develops an immunity to certain kinds of weapons fire for instance.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
I think I'll settle for AI pilots that don't ram eachother and you in the process.  

------------------
"You know you've played Freespace too much when you're driving along trying to use countermeasures to shake off pursuing highway police." - Top Gun

Material Defender Studios
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Originally posted by Setekh[/i]:
Things could include intra-system jump drives on fighters now as standard.

It was said in command breifing that intra-system jump drives for fighter/bombers were extremely expensive and only used for vital missions. So you'd have to explain some kind of technological breakthrough. (Which, of course, I knew you would, but I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that it was really expensive...)  

[This message has been edited by Pegasus V (edited 09-27-2001).]

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Effectors.  Gridfire Impulsors.  Displacers.  Lineguns.  Junk like that.  
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Nico

• Venom
sorry but... intra system jumps are not what happen when you push alt-j?
otherwise I think that ammo based primaries are rather a step forward.
Well, I think, stealth is good.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Ammo based primaries are a step backwards.  Hello, why trade infinite ammo for limited ammo?  
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by Shrike:
Ammo based primaries are a step backwards.  Hello, why trade infinite ammo for limited ammo?    

hem yeah, that's what I wanted to say, but sometimes my fingers won't write what my mind tells them to write (damn fingers   )
SCREW CANON!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by sandwich:
We do?  

Well... yeh? You didn't know Bobboau made a Deimos with shielded turrets? Look, it's the second entry on this page...

http://www.3dap.com/hlp/freespace/mods/misc/

It's here too.  

http://dl.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?3dactionplanet/freespace/deimos-s.zip
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Red5

• http://www.roughnecks.org
 As newer more powerful reactors and engines become available, it becomes possible to construct larger bombers and fighters with the same manueverability, these new machines are the Gunboats of the Neo GTA.  A wing of these will have the firepower of a 23rd century cruiser and will be used to dogfight and destroy large targets.

As engines and speed improve, expect maybe high performance glider based craft that simply are to fast and maneuverable to hit right.  think "ultra lights"
This is my signature

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html

Originally posted by Shrike:
Ammo based primaries are a step backwards.

Did you think I wanted to go forward?  Silly Shrike.

And that would show some talent in moding to pull it off, so it would be a big breakthrough in the moding scene.  Then I could seriously consider doing my 14 Year War campaign.

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------