Author Topic: What's so great about League of Legends?  (Read 2949 times)

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
What's so great about League of Legends?
I've met SO many people on campus that play League, but I don't get what all the hype is about. Would any of you guys who are familiar with the game like to explain?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: What's so great about League of Legends?
Or you could just try it yourself, since its a free game.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline docfu

I enjoyed it for a while because unlike traditional RPG's like Diablo where all you do is level up one build of a character, LOL has you take a character from zero to max in one simple match.

Basically it's PvP strategy without wasting time harvesting or base building, you just level your 'hero' character. It's easier than say...Starcraft II where the goal is mass army micro-management. 

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's a game that rewards skill and teamplay, that has a good learning curve, and a good competitive scene.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
It's good but honestly I prefer DOTA 2. Don't expect either community to be good, though, because they're not. In fact I'd say that MOBA communities are among the worst and most abrasive group of people I've ever met.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
To be honest, I found LoL much easier to play, when compared with DOTA 2 (which admitedly I have a much lower experience with), and it's interface is much, MUCH better.

It's free, it's a team game, and it's games last a fairly predictable ammount of time, with some exceptions.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It's a game that rewards skill and teamplay, that has a good learning curve, and a good competitive scene.
Maybe it rewards teamplay, but in most cases teamplay is not rewarding ! The community (can you even call it that ?) is extremely unforgiving to newbies, and people making mistakes in general. Or simply people who happen to die.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Indeed. I haven't seen such rookie hatred since my Counter-Strike days. The trick is to find a few friends to play with, practice against bots until you've figured out the game's mechanics, then take a collective dive into the actual multiplayer, and ignore those (many) seriuz buziness people that keep yelling at you every two games. Overall, I'd advise against taking the game too seriously as it would lock you into the meta-gaming mindset that tells you how to play the game, and instead develop your own playstyle. Play for fun, not to win.

Seriously though, both DotA and LoL are almost interchangeable in terms of mechanics & tactics, it's ridiculously easy to discuss either game with a member of the 'opposite' community and understand each other. Unless, of course, you consider the other game to be eeeevil.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
If you want to get into LoL, bring friends. Having at least one person who you know you can count on during a match helps immensely. Seconded on the bot games, but don't get too attached- the absolute best way to get better is to play against other people.

****ty people and ****ty games will happen, but that's true of any game. If somebody's a remarkable jerk, report them after the game (yes, there's a function for that, and yes it apparently DOES work), dust your shoulders off, and move on to the next match.

And to directly answer the OP question- it's fun. Especially (I really can't stress this enough) if you're just gaming and bull****ting with some friends over Skype or such.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I don't really get the appeal of the whole MOBA gameplay mechanic in general, but apparently everyone and their mother are all over them.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I don't really get the appeal of the whole MOBA gameplay mechanic in general, but apparently everyone and their mother are all over them.
Exactly this.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
It's a fun game, but as has been mentioned, the community sucks big, floppy donkey @#$%. Enough to turn me off of the game - but, I'm also very fixated on a game's community, probably more so than most, so take that with a grain of salt.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
The only time I've seen temporary leveling mechanics work well was in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

Quake Wars: Enemy Territory didn't even manage to get it right.

I'm not sure these exemples are relevent here. FPSs have vastly different mechanics compared to MOBAs.

Offline crizza

My cousin is realy into this game. Another friend even provided me an BETA key but I never used it and lost it, so now that I'm interested in the game, I'll have no chance to redeem any extra stuff and my little cousin absolutely freaked out^^

Offline Patriot

I only started playing cause my friends play it, i only play when i can play with at least one of them, cause my only game i didn't, i had to fight 3vs5.

Still won though, thanks to an awesome teammate who helped me out with a character build suggestion.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
My cousin is realy into this game. Another friend even provided me an BETA key but I never used it and lost it, so now that I'm interested in the game, I'll have no chance to redeem any extra stuff and my little cousin absolutely freaked out^^
Considering for how much you could sell those horrible looking beta skin recolors for. I'd be freaking out too!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them