Author Topic: Linux/Windows 20040519 test  (Read 5471 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Linux/Windows 20040519 test
Alright, this should be the final test of the Linux code tree before it get merged into CVS.  Both Linux and Windows users are needed to point out any last minute bugs.

First the Windows (doesn't have speech support, sorry) build: 20040519-win32.zip

Windows users have three things to test:
1 - Make sure that everything works in general.  No random crashes or new bugs.
2 - Make sure that the end-of-mission CTD doesn't show up in this build.
3 - Do some network play over a LAN to make sure the new networking changes don't break anything.

The Linux release (source for Linux and Windows): 20040519-fs2_open-linux.tar.bz2

Just make sure it builds and doesn't have any weird problems.  There is so much new and fixed in here that I've long since lost count.  Some basic notes though:
- The DevIL configure option has been renamed to "--enable-devil" rather than the capital "IL" before.
- Text to speech doesn't work right although there is a configure option for it.  You would need speechd (/dev/speech) for it to work.  This is less than half way done since I can't decide exactly how I want to impelment this.
- You now have to "./autogen.sh" before running "./configure" or just include your options with the autogen.sh command.  If you are running Fedora Core 2 and get a bunch of automake messages, just ignore them as they won't hurt anything.
- The "-timerbar" works if you want to try that out.  This is more of a developers option though.
- This is basically a 3.6 Linux release and will be rebranded as such unless problems are reported.
- Linux/PPC networking between x86 machines still isn't complete but is 99% done.
- Some basic help is printed to the command line if you use an invalid option (such as -h or --help).
- The executable filename has changed to match the Windows version: "fs2_open_r" for a normal/release build, "fs2_open_d" for a debug build.

Well, I had a few hangs on two missions. The only ones I played tonight. I'll keep testing later.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Ok, I'll have a look into this too.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

The Linux version is not working for me. Compilation is fine, but when I want to start the game I only get a black screen and that's all.

There are two more things which I find odd. I compiled without DevIL support, but the linker had DevIL flags in it and so the link process failed. Also the path to the OpenGL libraries is not included in the Makefile. The $OGL_LIBDIR variable is empty, so I had to add -L/usr/X11R6/lib manually.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Christoph_Berg
The Linux version is not working for me. Compilation is fine, but when I want to start the game I only get a black screen and that's all.

Not sure about this one.  What's you config like?  Also, try starting the game with strace, directing output to a file, and see what it gives you.  It could be in a loop somewhere.

There are two more things which I find odd. I compiled without DevIL support, but the linker had DevIL flags in it and so the link process failed. Also the path to the OpenGL libraries is not included in the Makefile. The $OGL_LIBDIR variable is empty, so I had to add -L/usr/X11R6/lib manually.

I added OGL_LIBDIR so that I (or anyone else) could build against separate Mesa libs rather than thier system libs.  You shouldn't have to use it to compile and link, it works fine for me with and without.  It's only needed if you are going to compile with GL libs that are outside of the default library paths.

You are right on the DevIL flags, I'm missing a check to make sure that DevIL is used before adding the flags.  If you want to use DevIL though and have a system that uses RPMs, I can upload a SRPM of DevIL for you or an RPM that should work on Fedora Core.  This is fixed now but I'm not going to do a new release for 6 new lines.  I would prefer that everyone get used to using DevIL because at some point the option is probably going to be removed and it will be a requirement.

Originally posted by taylor
Not sure about this one.  What's you config like?  Also, try starting the game with strace, directing output to a file, and see what it gives you.  It could be in a loop somewhere.

Okay the black screen issue is solved. I was just to impatient. But I really wonder why the loading time is so long.

I added OGL_LIBDIR so that I (or anyone else) could build against separate Mesa libs rather than thier system libs.  You shouldn't have to use it to compile and link, it works fine for me with and without.  It's only needed if you are going to compile with GL libs that are outside of the default library paths.

My OpenGL libraries reside in /usr/X11R6/lib and the path is added to ld.so.conf. But ld always says that it can't find -lGLU . But when I add -L/usr/X11R6/lib everything is fine.

You are right on the DevIL flags, I'm missing a check to make sure that DevIL is used before adding the flags.  If you want to use DevIL though and have a system that uses RPMs, I can upload a SRPM of DevIL for you or an RPM that should work on Fedora Core.  This is fixed now but I'm not going to do a new release for 6 new lines.  I would prefer that everyone get used to using DevIL because at some point the option is probably going to be removed and it will be a requirement.

Well, I don't use a distribution. I use LFS. So I have everything compiled myself. I had enabled DevIL support at first, but when ld started to link all object files of fs2_open, it gave me an error sprintf not defined in -lIL. I don't know if it was exactly -IL, but it was on of the DevIL linker flags that caused the problem. Perhaps I should try a CVS version of DevIL, because I used the last stable version, which was from mid 2003.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Okay the black screen issue is solved. I was just to impatient. But I really wonder why the loading time is so long.

I'm looking into this but haven't located why/where yet.

My OpenGL libraries reside in /usr/X11R6/lib and the path is added to ld.so.conf. But ld always says that it can't find -lGLU . But when I add -L/usr/X11R6/lib everything is fine.

Strange.  I could be a change in the order of the libs maybe.  It did not use a path for the GL libs before so I didn't take anything away but the order of the libs has changed a little bit.  I'll try and do something about this shortly but I'd prefer not to add a specific default path if I can help it.  Do you have symlinks for libGL and libGLU in /usr/lib?  Just curious.

Well, I don't use a distribution. I use LFS. So I have everything compiled myself. I had enabled DevIL support at first, but when ld started to link all object files of fs2_open, it gave me an error sprintf not defined in -lIL. I don't know if it was exactly -IL, but it was on of the DevIL linker flags that caused the problem. Perhaps I should try a CVS version of DevIL, because I used the last stable version, which was from mid 2003.

1.6.6 is the latest and CVS hasn't had any real changes in many months so if you are using 1.6.6 there isn't much new in CVS.  If you are refering to "_vsnprintf" then it's a known problem and you just have to edit the one file that uses it (twice I think) and remove the leading "_".  It should link fine after that.  If you think that's a problem, try building the thing under Windows.  It gets the libs wrong and you have to renamed them to link, and there's dozens of missing symbols unless you hand edit them out.  Pain :rolleyes:

I'm looking into this but haven't located why/where yet.

Take your time...

Strange.  I could be a change in the order of the libs maybe.  It did not use a path for the GL libs before so I didn't take anything away but the order of the libs has changed a little bit.  I'll try and do something about this shortly but I'd prefer not to add a specific default path if I can help it.  Do you have symlinks for libGL and libGLU in /usr/lib?  Just curious.

Okay, after creating the symlinks everything works as it should.

1.6.6 is the latest and CVS hasn't had any real changes in many months so if you are using 1.6.6 there isn't much new in CVS.  If you are refering to "_vsnprintf" then it's a known problem and you just have to edit the one file that uses it (twice I think) and remove the leading "_".  It should link fine after that.  If you think that's a problem, try building the thing under Windows.  It gets the libs wrong and you have to renamed them to link, and there's dozens of missing symbols unless you hand edit them out.  Pain :rolleyes:

Yep, that's what I meant. And the link process went flawlessly after editing the file.

Can you edit the configure script that it utilizes the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS variables?

Just two little things I notices throughout playing:
1. The ß character is not displayed.

2. I get a white square sometimes around certain animations. For example engine glow, weapon glow and explosions.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by mrduckman
Well, I had a few hangs on two missions. The only ones I played tonight. I'll keep testing later.

That's what I got. One minute I was flying about shooting and then next the music is playing but the computer is hanging. Had to give it the 3 fingered salute to get rid of it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Can you edit the configure script that it utilizes the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS variables?

Yep, I just noticed that as well.  They were getting added before but mixed in with the SDL stuff so I removed the lines.  Obviously I forgot the put the good parts back.  It wasn't done correctly before anyway, fixed now.

1. The ß character is not displayed.

Is this new or did it happen before?  All of the umlats are working correctly though right?  If not try to add "Language=German" to your ~/.fs2_open/fs2_open.ini file.

2. I get a white square sometimes around certain animations. For example engine glow, weapon glow and explosions.

Are you using the media VPs?  I think I know what you are talking about here but it should be fixed.  Can you post a screen shot so that I can see if it is the same?

Originally posted by karajorma
That's what I got. One minute I was flying about shooting and then next the music is playing but the computer is hanging. Had to give it the 3 fingered salute to get rid of it.

Try running with no music and see if it still hangs.  If so then try with no sound.  I was getting a strange crash with the audio streaming code that had a mix of Windows and Linux in it.  I have split the Linux stuff into a separate file and went back to the original code for Windows.  It might have been a bigger problem than I had figured though and something else is hiding in there somewhere.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 07:11:35 pm by 1252 »

Is this new or did it happen before?  All of the umlats are working correctly though right?  If not try to add "Language=German" to your ~/.fs2_open/fs2_open.ini file.

Yep, all umlauts are working. Only the ß character is not displayed.

Are you using the media VPs?  I think I know what you are talking about here but it should be fixed.  Can you post a screen shot so that I can see if it is the same?

I will provide a screenshot tomorrow, just to let you know, I don't use the MediaVP and in your last version these white squares did not appear.

Here are two sample images:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 06:46:40 am by 805 »