Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > Test Builds

Linux/Windows 20040519 test

(1/3) > >>

taylor:
Alright, this should be the final test of the Linux code tree before it get merged into CVS.  Both Linux and Windows users are needed to point out any last minute bugs.

First the Windows (doesn't have speech support, sorry) build: 20040519-win32.zip

Windows users have three things to test:
1 - Make sure that everything works in general.  No random crashes or new bugs.
2 - Make sure that the end-of-mission CTD doesn't show up in this build.
3 - Do some network play over a LAN to make sure the new networking changes don't break anything.

The Linux release (source for Linux and Windows): 20040519-fs2_open-linux.tar.bz2

Just make sure it builds and doesn't have any weird problems.  There is so much new and fixed in here that I've long since lost count.  Some basic notes though:
- The DevIL configure option has been renamed to "--enable-devil" rather than the capital "IL" before.
- Text to speech doesn't work right although there is a configure option for it.  You would need speechd (/dev/speech) for it to work.  This is less than half way done since I can't decide exactly how I want to impelment this.
- You now have to "./autogen.sh" before running "./configure" or just include your options with the autogen.sh command.  If you are running Fedora Core 2 and get a bunch of automake messages, just ignore them as they won't hurt anything.
- The "-timerbar" works if you want to try that out.  This is more of a developers option though.
- This is basically a 3.6 Linux release and will be rebranded as such unless problems are reported.
- Linux/PPC networking between x86 machines still isn't complete but is 99% done.
- Some basic help is printed to the command line if you use an invalid option (such as -h or --help).
- The executable filename has changed to match the Windows version: "fs2_open_r" for a normal/release build, "fs2_open_d" for a debug build.

mrduckman:
Well, I had a few hangs on two missions. The only ones I played tonight. I'll keep testing later.

DaBrain:
Ok, I'll have a look into this too.

Christoph_Berg:
The Linux version is not working for me. Compilation is fine, but when I want to start the game I only get a black screen and that's all.

There are two more things which I find odd. I compiled without DevIL support, but the linker had DevIL flags in it and so the link process failed. Also the path to the OpenGL libraries is not included in the Makefile. The $OGL_LIBDIR variable is empty, so I had to add -L/usr/X11R6/lib manually.

taylor:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by Christoph_Berg
The Linux version is not working for me. Compilation is fine, but when I want to start the game I only get a black screen and that's all.
--- End quote ---

Not sure about this one.  What's you config like?  Also, try starting the game with strace, directing output to a file, and see what it gives you.  It could be in a loop somewhere.

--- Quote ---There are two more things which I find odd. I compiled without DevIL support, but the linker had DevIL flags in it and so the link process failed. Also the path to the OpenGL libraries is not included in the Makefile. The $OGL_LIBDIR variable is empty, so I had to add -L/usr/X11R6/lib manually.
--- End quote ---

I added OGL_LIBDIR so that I (or anyone else) could build against separate Mesa libs rather than thier system libs.  You shouldn't have to use it to compile and link, it works fine for me with and without.  It's only needed if you are going to compile with GL libs that are outside of the default library paths.

You are right on the DevIL flags, I'm missing a check to make sure that DevIL is used before adding the flags.  If you want to use DevIL though and have a system that uses RPMs, I can upload a SRPM of DevIL for you or an RPM that should work on Fedora Core.  This is fixed now but I'm not going to do a new release for 6 new lines.  I would prefer that everyone get used to using DevIL because at some point the option is probably going to be removed and it will be a requirement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version