Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > Test Builds

RT 06/06/2004 Pcx compression to reduce memory requirements

(1/4) > >>

RandomTiger:
This build is intended for medium to low spec users who are having frame rate issues.

http://www.randomtiger.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/freespace/fs2_open_r.rar

The -pcx2dds ('Compress pcx' as seen in launcher) flag will compress pcx images which will reduce texture memory.

Because this is a compressed format the image quality will reduce however paradoxically dxt is a 32 bit image format. So the pcx files are loaded as 32 bit which increases their quality over the default 16 bit quality and still takes up less space.

The likely result is that some things will look better and others will look worse. The compression is DXT5, if this isnt supported by your card this feature will not work. Only TNT (and possibly voodoo cards) cant do DXT5 as far as we know.

As a result of 32 bit loading and compression the loading process is likely to be slower.

Lightspeed:
not if -pcx32 was used, anyway.

And this should be in one of Bob's decal/env/etc builds, as THATs where most of the people get slowdown problems. That would make most sense to test. :)

RandomTiger:
I've only just put it in so it wont be in Bob's builds till he updates.

mrduckman:
Works fine on GeForce4 MX-440SE, DX9b.
Hud's target hull integrity indicator is out of alignment.
The hull number is at the top left of the screen.

Other than that, seems to run fine. It didn't like the anti-fighter beam fire much, though :D
I had a little drop there.

mrduckman:
Ah, I'll be off 'til midnight (GMT -3) when I'll be at work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version