Author Topic: Series Resurrecta is the best 2020 Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi in ModDB's MotYA  (Read 12321 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Series Resurrecta is the best 2020 Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi in ModDB's MotYA
I do feel I've kind of dragged the energy here down a bit.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
This thread, and the contest behind it, are not a way to implicitly promote SR as "the collection featuring the best FreeSpace campaigns ever".

It turns out that a notable website for modders has a contest every single year and 2020's edition brought very good results for a FreeSpace mod, which found itself competing with mods that don't even run on the same engine. There results were definitely worth sharing considering how niche the Space sim genre is. Anything else about the purpose of this thread is purely conjectural.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Phantom does significant and important work on the FSO engine. He recently figured out what the **** is going on with side thrust and glide physics.

Hypothetically, Could it possible to make True Newtonian physics with this information?

I would be interested in that.

For hypothetical reasons. . . .
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
For the record, the claims posted at the beginning of this thread have been triple checked and are therefore confirmed.

During this extra check we've also received additional details on the final ranking: no FreeSpace mods other than SerRes are in the Top 200. Speaking of the mods present in the Top 100, 29 of them are five or more years old, and some 20 mods have been released this year.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Calling it 'pathetic' was a low blow, and I apologise for that. For what it's worth, I voted for SR when Mobius PMed me and everyone else asking for support, because hey, it's 0 effort and it might get HLP a little more attention. It may still do that, but placing behind a 5 year old Freelancer mod is a fairly disappointing result and I really didn't like the sense that you're trying to dress the result up as something it isn't. Call it a personal allergy to marketing more than anything.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
SerRes - SotGW has been released two months ago and building up a strong fanbase in such a time span is difficult. The Freelancer community seems to have decided to focus on one of their release and this may have contributed to Crossfire's results, among other factors. I surely don't blame them.
The Lightblue Ribbon

If Crossfire is basically the "biggest" mod the Freelancer community has to offer (though I don't know anything about the FL community), it is not surprising that it is more popular compared to a mod that was released only a few months - having been released several years ago is not a drawback in this case, it's an advantage.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I've heard from ModDB's staff again so here's a quick update/recap statement on some of the important details concerning the contest (in fact, this post will be linked at the very beginning of this thread). I'm splitting the news I got in a schematic way for better understanding:

MotYA Official Rules

1) The exact amount of votes will not be revealed by ModDB's staff, though we've been confirmed to be extremely close to the Top 100 mark, in terms of pure votes;

2) That said, it's worth noting that MotYA relies on algorithms that don't treat all votes equally. Votes cast by ModDB members have more value compared to those cast by visitors, and new profiles created during or right before MotYA are also treated accordingly in order to prevent spam or vote manipulation;

3) The above mentioned difference in terms of "vote weight" is what increased the gap between SR and the Top 100, thus leading to the 161st overall rank. This has been confirmed by ModDB's founder and primary administrator who has access to all data regarding MotYA. In poor words, on average, we got many votes from visitors, and fewer votes from ModDB members;

4) Though all mods participate by default and can in fact be voted by anyone, access to the final phases of the contest is restricted to active mods, id est mods which have been released recently or even a few years ago, providing they're still maintained and updated on a regular basis;

5) A fact checking thread has been created and posted on SR internal for quick verification by SR Team members as well as HLP administrators, should any of the mentioned categories require more information on the matter.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Isn't this a bit premature?

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Not really? As far as I know, Mobius confirmed(?) through ModDb admins that the position is more or less solidified for SerRes.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Hey? I can't find any mention of FS2 let alone Series Resurrecta in the MOTY 2020 results?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Because it didn't break the top 100.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Surely a mod that is cited as being the
1) Best Futuristic Sim / Sci-Fi Mod of the Year released in 2020;
should atleast get a honourable mention?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, if that were an official categorization by the moddb team. Which it isn't; it's the result of filtering the results long enough, just like the "Best mod based on FSO" is.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, ModDB no longer issues detailed statistics so all of the stats reported in the first post have been extrapolated and confirmed via queries run by the website's founder and main administrator. The only thing we could do was the release of a news article citing the results; the article was approved by ModDB's admins and we're fine with it. This thread is based on that news article.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Look, Mobius, I'm not saying that any of the things you stated in that post are wrong. They are, to the best of my knowledge, all true. However: as far as I am concerned, there's a big asterisk next to all of them. Being first in a race in which you were the only active participant (like, for example, the "Best mod based on FSO" category: You were the only team that cared to put out anything even remotely resembling a PR campaign, so of course you won) is not something I'd be proud of or that I would use in promotional material, but you do you.
As Battuta stated earlier, coming in on the 161st place or wherever you scored overall isn't nothing. What bothers me here is the careful massaging of the relevant statistics you've done to be able to claim some firsts; it's not dishonest to do so since you weren't lying about anything, but it definitely is misleading, and I prefer not to be misled.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
As I stated many times already, the one real asterisk to all points made is "...compared to other mods which are actively being updated and maintained on ModDB". We said many times it's not meant to be an absolute parameter on mod quality, yet we're here, trying to clarify this for the Nth time.  :rolleyes:

What bothers me here is the careful massaging of the relevant statistics you've done to be able to claim some firsts; it's not dishonest to do so since you weren't lying about anything, but it definitely is misleading, and I prefer not to be misled.

I kind of believe you are intentionally cherrypicking the things about the deal which you think are bad and building up the entire argument around them. I did not ask the admin specifically for "things SerRes ended up being good at because I need something to show off". I asked for statistics, which the site seems to be lacking for the reasons we stated I don't know how many times already, and it turns out I got more than what I asked for. The statistics seem very specific and go into the details simply because FreeSpace, and futuristic sims as a whole, are so niche the queries have to be performed accordingly. That's the whole story behind the "details".
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I kind of believe you are intentionally cherrypicking the things about the deal which you think are bad and building up the entire argument around them. I did not ask the admin specifically for "things SerRes ended up being good at because I need something to show off". I asked for statistics, which the site seems to be lacking for the reasons we stated I don't know how many times already, and it turns out I got more than what I asked for. The statistics seem very specific and go into the details simply because FreeSpace, and futuristic sims as a whole, are so niche the queries have to be performed accordingly. That's the whole story behind the "details".

You do realize that you just confirmed everything I said?

Let me be as plain as possible here:
I do not like this kind of self-aggrandizing promotion you've done. "Best mod of the year based on FSO" is meaningless. "Best futuristic/SciFi mod of the year released in 2020" is less so, but it's still based around being a single fish in a mostly empty pool. "Second place behind Crossfire" is meaningful, but again: Crossfire made it to the top 100. SerRes did not, and based on absolute rankings, the gap in popularity between these two is far larger than what your use of the words "right behind" implies.

It doesn't matter to me that ModDB's admins approved these statements. As I said earlier, they're obviously true. My sole point here is that, had I been in your position, I would have left it at "We finished at 161st", which (and I repeat myself) is definitely not nothing and wouldn't have required any asterisks or explanations whatsoever. I do not like to be misled and I do not like to mislead, and I consider you highlighting these statistical artifacts to be misleading because, again, they're all the results of SerRes being one fish in a very empty pool.

You do realize that you just confirmed everything I said?

Let me be as plain as possible here:
I do not like this kind of self-aggrandizing promotion you've done. "Best mod of the year based on FSO" is meaningless. "Best futuristic/SciFi mod of the year released in 2020" is less so, but it's still based around being a single fish in a mostly empty pool. "Second place behind Crossfire" is meaningful, but again: Crossfire made it to the top 100. SerRes did not, and based on absolute rankings, the gap in popularity between these two is far larger than what your use of the words "right behind" implies.

It doesn't matter to me that ModDB's admins approved these statements. As I said earlier, they're obviously true. My sole point here is that, had I been in your position, I would have left it at "We finished at 161st", which (and I repeat myself) is definitely not nothing and wouldn't have required any asterisks or explanations whatsoever. I do not like to be misled and I do not like to mislead, and I consider you highlighting these statistical artifacts to be misleading because, again, they're all the results of SerRes being one fish in a very empty pool.

So you think the appropriate way for you to celebrate the sites 20th birthday is to dump on the communities accomplishments? Damn.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Well said, Nightmare. I don't think I exaggerate when I claim that similar comments are light years away from the climate the SerRes Team wants to establish over here. This board is for other kinds of content.

The E, you voiced your opinion. We appreciate the feedback but I don't see anything useful coming from further, similar statements. This approach to the core of this thread's topic is crossing the border between "legitimate questions/opinions" and "hate speech".
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 08:50:19 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon