Author Topic: AI class behavior location  (Read 871 times)

Offline Zarax

AI class behavior location
Hello everyone and happy 2022 for those who will read it in the new year!
Is AI action behaviour hardcoded or is there a table file for it?

For example, is there any place where I can find the actions available to a destroyer VS a fighter?

Thanks!
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: AI class behavior location
AI behavior is subject to a number of tables:

- ai_profiles.tbl - https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Ai_profiles.tbl
... which contains global AI settings which can be set on a per-mission basis.

- ai.tbl - https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Ai.tbl
... which creates the AI classes you can set a ship to in FRED. It can also set class specific overrides for flags set in AI_profiles.tbl.

- objecttypes.tbl - https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Objecttypes.tbl#.24AI:
... sets basic rules for the AI to be used with the object type flag (e.g. "cruiser" ) which a ship has. Among other things, if a ship will maneuver to broadside.

- game_settings.tbl - https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Game_settings.tbl#.24AI_use_framerate_independent_turning:
... under "#OTHER SETTINGS" has as one or two settings which can impact AI behavior, but unlike the previous tables doesn't set rules per se.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Zarax

Thank you for the info.
Interesting, I seem to have only AI.tbl, guess it's time to update my FSO...
The Best is Yet to Come

Many of those tables are optional, so it's no surprise.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
To elaborate, FSO versions don't come with any tables at all. The values that those tables would set have internal defaults that generally maintain the retail behavior, and a mod can add the tables to change them.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline Zarax

Is there any place where I can get the table files? I extracted the usual ones (weapons and ships) from the MediaVP files.
The Best is Yet to Come

I'm pretty sure the MVPs comes with it's own versions of most of those, except perhaps game_settings.tbl, but you can find the default in-built version of that one on the wiki in its entirety. Note that you don't need any of these unless you plan on making changes to one or more of the settings in them, FYI.

Offline Zarax

Thank you, in the end I just pasted from the wiki and it works fine.
Is there any way to increase the default number of orders in FRED from 5 to the 9-10 the interface is set up to accept?
The Best is Yet to Come

I don't think so, I'm not sure why the interface shows 10 honestly, I believe those are reserved for 'dynamic' goals, like reacting to attackers and such, and can't be manually given, or something like that.