Author Topic: Scariest gaming monsters  (Read 19508 times)

Re: Scariest gaming monsters
Amnesia: The Dark Descent had me quaking before I even saw any monsters!  But yeah.  That game is... freaky.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline crizza

My vote: Alma:
Even now, replaying it, I kill myself cause my trigger finger always twitches, when that little ***** creeps towards me and this is bad, if you wield something really explosive^^

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Have you played the original F.E.A.R.?  If not, then don't tell me Alma isn't scary.

Yes, I have, no, she wasn't really scary.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
I know one monster that is a few thousand helluvas more scarry than everything mentioned in that article.

It hides in a mysterious nebula in a Pegasus.

Why has this only been mentioned once?

The Transcendent is scarier and better written than nearly everything else in this thread.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Have you played the original F.E.A.R.?  If not, then don't tell me Alma isn't scary.

Yes, I have, no, she wasn't really scary.
Agreed, when the game basically tells you she's going to appear, it's not scary.

Also agreed, Alma's not all that scary. I think in the whole first game, there was only one time when she could actually hurt you. The rest of the time she was just popping up and being creepy, but not nearly as scary as those stupid floaty ghost things that pop up out of nowhere and can flay you in seconds. (These guys: http://fear.wikia.com/wiki/Nightmares)
Also, the Tentaculat from Terror From the Deep took everything terrifying about the Chryssalid and gave it the ability to swim above you out of sight until it drops on your soldier and tentacle-rapes him to zombification.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
A creeper or skeleton appearing around a corner when you didn't expect it.

Not really scary monsters on their own, but Minecraft is the sort of game where anything can happen and usually will... the fact that none of it is scripted makes it more terrifying.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Wendigo ambush in a dark room with ice covered floors and lots of bottomless pits to slide into found in Hexen Beyond Heretic.  Sure now, like Doom, its pretty silly but back in the day it was the ****.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
alma was unsettling.  the fact she doesn't hurt you is irrelevant; when you're already tense and you turn a corner to see a girl who liquefies people with her brain rushing at you like a crab it tends to make you swear loudly and empty your clip at the floor where she was a second before.
fettel was a bit creepy too.  the nightmares were scary when they popped out the first time, but after that were just ****ing annoying  there was no kind of suspense/buildup or anything else, they just warped in front of you and fking killed you.  the spectres in FEAR 2 were generally creepy, with one particular sequence of downright terrifying.

running into a tri-gen up close is never fun.  the first encounter with the flood in HALO was good, but they also became annoying rather quickly.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Man, now I'm reminded of going through Ravenholme in HL2 and hearing the howls of those fast headcrab zombies.  The speed alone was enough to make them scary...they were just on you before you could do anything about it.  Yeesh.

(also booted to Gaming)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Cyberdemon from Doom. Always sent cold shivers up my spine when I heard one of those stomping around...

Offline newman

You kids have no idea what scary is. I remember when I was still young, just turned 60. The Austro Hungarian Union had just collapsed and Doom 1 was the scariest game in the world.
Be afraid, for the infernal Tomato of Doom is upon you!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:17:47 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
The problem with Alma is that she is and was then already a tried and tested concept, particularly in Japanese and Japanese influenced horror so to many people she just becomes the creepy girl.  The game makes said in many interviews that F.E.A.R. was inspired by the likes of the Ring

You kids have no idea what Scary is. I remember when I was still young, just reached 60. The Austro Hungarian Union had just collapsed and Doom 1 was the scariest game in the world.
Be afraid, for the infernal Tomato of Doom is upon you!

Barons were scarier, and those brown things that floated were scarier because they spawned lost souls at you all the time.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline newman

You may want to clean the dust off your sarcasm detector's passive cooler, I don't think it's working to specification :P
Some Doom monsters were scary back in the day, but I remember bursting out in laughter whenever I saw the Cacodemon. I mean you're playing a game that tries to scare you with bad monsters, you turn a corner and.. you explode in laughter. A floating tomato? Really? :D
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Cacodemons looked much better in lurid red ;) And Demons in bright pink, reminded me of Warhammer 40K Daemons with that colour scheme ;)

The Lost-Soul spitting thing was from Doom 2, and if we are going to include that then Revenants probably win the prize for that one, Arch-Viles were pretty nasty too.

Edit: Cacodemons were 3 shots on a shotgun, the minute you heard that hissing noise, hitting 3 was kind of a built in reaction :)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Little girl that literally ****ing rapes you.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Chrysallids.

Shamblers / Vores? (spidery Q1 things?)

Barnacles (the concept of having my head chewed like that  :shaking:) Just..........eeek!

Those floor teeth things from Another world, and the initial beasty thing from Another world too.

Resident Evil one dogs.  I projected my early teenage love of Jill Valentine into a sense of over-protection. So every time she was in jeapordy i was all liek ONOZ IMMA SAD AND SCARED :C

Pyramid Head and the dummys from Silent Hill 2 were FREAKIN SCARY.

Purple Tentacle from Day of the Tentacle.. :lol:

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline newman

Those floor teeth things from Another world, and the initial beasty thing from Another world too.

Yes! Those things were nasty.. the ones that hanged from the ceiling and would pull you upwards and eat you were scariest for me there. Man I loved that game.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam

Resident Evil one dogs.  I projected my early teenage love of Jill Valentine into a sense of over-protection. So every time she was in jeapordy i was all liek ONOZ IMMA SAD AND SCARED :C

I was just about to post about them damn zombie dogs! The first time they jumped through that window I crapped myself! There are a few Resident Evil monsters that scared the **** outta me. (Nemesis!!!!!  :nervous: :shaking:)

And yeah, F.E.A.R. scared me half to death too, not because of Alma, but because of the atmosphere it sets.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline newman

F.E.A.R. was scary in like 2 or 3 scripted instances for me. The rest of the time it was just boring. Oh look more offices, that'll be great for a gaming environment.