Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >
The Modding Workshop / Re: What are you working on?
« Last post by Black Wolf on September 24, 2018, 02:29:05 am »
That looks spectacular!
Exile / Re: Exile - Discussion
« Last post by Nightmare on September 24, 2018, 02:11:28 am »
Ehhh, the campaign flip-flops between shivans being a serious existential threat that'll wipe out your entire race and there's **** all you can do about it and an ineffective enemy that pilots joke about. It's as if they're shivans in the 'story' but a joke in the pilot dialogue as they constantly call them bugs, insects, and have casual dick-waving contests with their killcounts.

Though that's kinda true for the entire campaign, it flip-flops between serious grimdark and parody-level fourth wall breaks.

I admit I'm not a huge fan of the pilot dialogs; it seemed kinda F***-say-contest to me...
But calling them bugs (ain't that part of FS2 retail as well?) or insect and making fun of them doesn't seem unrealistic to me. Or would you prefer to fly with people who constantly say things like "were are all going to die if we fail this mission", "all my loved ones are dead, but we'll soon join them yay", "I don't care if I survive this mission, it won't change anything"?
« Last post by FrikgFeek on September 24, 2018, 01:51:10 am »
Ehhh, the campaign flip-flops between shivans being a serious existential threat that'll wipe out your entire race and there's **** all you can do about it and an ineffective enemy that pilots joke about. It's as if they're shivans in the 'story' but a joke in the pilot dialogue as they constantly call them bugs, insects, and have casual dick-waving contests with their killcounts.

Though that's kinda true for the entire campaign, it flip-flops between serious grimdark and parody-level fourth wall breaks.
« Last post by QuakeIV on September 24, 2018, 01:24:28 am »
I tend to seriously enjoy stories that aren't actively contriving to achieve a specific narrative objective.  It makes it feel like a much more real and authentic experience to me.

The shivans come to kill everyone, chaos everywhere, shuttles trying to force their way into an evac ship that has no room for them, et cetera.  Lines like "take one last look, this is the last you will ever see of this system".  The campaign was far from perfect but it certainly had its moments and therefore I feel obliged to defend its merits.

I also didn't really observe a huge shift in the shivans personally, there was a lot less focus on 'shiva, why u do dis' but I think that made sense given that the humans had already seen the shivans in action.  For the common person there wasn't all that much expectation that they would find an answer, they just had to try and get away.
Neo Terra Victorious / Re: Join Neo Terra Victorious!
« Last post by Goober5000 on September 24, 2018, 12:32:11 am »
Got to it earlier than I thought.  Give it a try now; new versions are on the FSO Installer and Knossos.
Okay but, Starcitizen is good, right?
The Modding Workshop / Re: What are you working on?
« Last post by Trivial Psychic on September 23, 2018, 11:13:04 pm »
Does it use detail boxes?
We (on behalf of Scroll) wanted to have some advanced effects that could be accessed either via SEXP or scripting.

The envisioned features are as following:
-Adjusting further Post processing values in-mission than currently possible, in particular the bloom and blur values; at best fluently. Currently this can only be done by closing the game and modifying the config files, what is pretty much the opposite.
-Adjusting the rendering of maps in-mission. This is something similar to what you can do in the F3 techroom where you can adjust the rendering of the available maps such as base map, glow map etc. This could be used for 2 effects:
1. For a cutscene effect it would be cool if models could be semi-transparent at first and later faded out. There was such an effect in the old F3 lab before The_E... removed it (but it was only a static effect, we were thinking about something that could be adjusted dynamical). There's also such a thing with the PBR map overrides in the current F3 lab.
2. A derivate of this for the custom mission with the subspace Sathanas - it would be good to modify the rendering of specific maps, in this case the Sathanas glow maps. Currently it is possible to turn them off entirely (and on) on the entire modell, but it looks rather dull to the point it's better without using the effect. (While not discussed, I think that if something like that was made it would be good to have an option where only a specified map would be affected).

I think both 1 and 2 are related, 1 fades out/in all maps; 2 affects only the glow map. The effect would be slightly different from the current cloak/uncloak effect, however.

This function could be accessed via a single action where the ship (and optionally, the specific map) are altered over a specified time, or as a series of SEXPs where the map is given the rendering "90", "80"... etc.

I talked with Goober about that, but he said that this would require new shaders in addition to/replacing the current built-in shaders, and he doesn't know how to write such things. Therefore we require somebody from the community who volunteers to do that. I haven't any clue about coding, leave along complex things such as shaders.
FS2 Open Coding - The Source Code Project (SCP) / Re: Adjusting bloom and blur in-mission
« Last post by m!m on September 23, 2018, 09:28:07 pm »
What exactly do you want to achieve? I could give you some pointers towards the correct parts of the code base if I know what you want to do.
« Last post by Nightmare on September 23, 2018, 08:41:01 pm »
Probably I can't be helped anymore, but I still like it. Yeah it's not about ethics but it tells an interesting story. In that way it's different to BP but I don't want to play BP clones.

I like the idea of Exile - you have fight only to survive, but how? I don't know how much you played of it (yet), but it adds more aspects as the story continues. Also, keep in mind that it is only the first of 4 chapters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >