Poll

Should we keep our models exclusive, or release them to the community?

Keep our assets exclusive - it'll make the final INF release better!
3 (3.6%)
Release assets on a case-by-case basis.
33 (39.8%)
Release any assets we've been sitting on for a while - benefit the whole community.
47 (56.6%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Do you want Inferno to keep its assets exclusive?  (Read 13409 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Do you want Inferno to keep its assets exclusive?
Hey guys.

majorvader111 just asked us for some unreleased Shivan models for his Sins project. Woo would prefer to keep them exclusive.

So I ask YOU, the five of you still waiting for Inferno's glorious inevitable release, this question of immeasurable gravitas.

Would you rather we save our remaining exclusive assets for release, to boost the cool factor?

Or would you rather we hand out assets on a case-by-case basis, like to help out majorvader's project?

OR! Would you rather we modeldump our exclusive assets if we've been sitting on them for a while, so other projects can use them?

Thanks!
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Re: Do you want Inferno to keep its assets exclusive?
So I ask YOU, the five of you still waiting for Inferno's glorious inevitable release

Hey, I count too, right?

...right?  :(
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Well that was fast.

Good to see we have more than literally five people who care about Inferno's asset policy.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline CT27

Make it at least seven fans of Inferno. ;)

I can see both sides so I'll say case by case.

Offline majorvader111

• Don't Puckle With Shuckles
yeah both are good in there ways, some of the models could be model dumped while the newer models could be done with a case to case method, Just my 2 cents.
STRAYA... Home of Death, Trash Internet & The Police State Downunder.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
For whatever my opinion is worth, I think that case by case is always the way to go. Some assets are more prominent or important than others in any campaign - keeping some assets back and releasing the rest lets you have the best of both worlds. And a gradual release schedule lets people know things are happening (or gives that appearance before more important releases, to generate interest).
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If there's any really cool models, I suppose you could just ask any project that wanted to use them to delay their release until yours.  Then, after they finish their project, they'll have to help yours so you can both release sooner!   :drevil:

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
I'm leaning case-by-case myself, though it's Woo's call I suppose.

Thanks for your opinions!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
As someone who has done a lot of work with the INFR1 assets, I would strongly encourage the new Inferno to release assets as they're finalized, if for no other reason than to keep up the mod's reputation as being chock-a-block with content. Especially if there's any upgrades of existing models, like the GTCa Warlock.

Keep anything plot-relevant internal, naturally.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I agree wholeheartedly with Galemp.

Offline Zarax

I'd agree on a case-by-case basis, especially as artists are getting scarcer with time.
Inferno EA fleet is especially inspired IMHO and would be a great community asset.
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline mr.WHO

I vote for sharing already - it's not like we expect Inferno release in this decade. Additional benefit would be is someone would take you assets and improve them even further - such upgrades could made back into Inferno.

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
2nd Galemp's points...ship models that are already public can benefit from updates (and the mods using them benefit as well).  Anything that's plot-relevant or has "shock value" should be kept under wraps until release.

I've quietly waited for an update to Inferno, too, so that makes at least eight.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline CT27

Mr. Who kind of brings up an interesting point.

If Inferno:  Nostos is going to be released relatively soon (in the next year or so), hold onto more of the assets.  However, if you unfortunately don't see Inferno:  Nostos being released for more than a couple years, you might as well release more assets.

Offline Lorric

Wow, 20 votes for both options. And a single vote for keeping the assets exclusive.

I don't intend on voting, but as I said when Earth Defence got dumped:

It's obviously sad that a project has failed, but the part that seems really sad to me is that it's just been thrown out like this, almost unceremoniously. If this is the culmination of 7 years work, it's something that seems to me that should have been presented to the community. Talked about in detail with pride and shown off. Maybe released in a number of segments. Apart from what Dragon said, I basically have no idea what's in this dump. But it sounds like there's plenty in there to be proud of and it's just been thrown out like this.

So I would say if Inferno do decide to release anything, have some fun with it! Take some pride and pleasure in the release/s and enjoy doing it. And in turn that will help create interest in the mod far more than just releasing stuff. Show off separate ships / releases in their own threads like you're selling a shiny new product. Perhaps tease some releases before releasing.

Circumstances came between us and being able to enjoy the experience of doing so with Frontlines, we were originally intending on doing plenty of pimping of the mod before release, and I do feel not being able to have done so hurt it somewhat. That is applicable here because the release is intended to be just the first release not the final one. Like Diaspora is just the first and the new Wings of Dawn is just the first.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
How about some 'demo' missions (a mission spotlighting each release?) -- doesn't have to be a full out mission, its purpose is just to show off the release, not be an actual playable mission in a production sense.  Like the FS2 demo missions, maybe even less complex than those. 

IDK just an idea.

Offline Aesaar

Exclusive assets don't make a mod that much better.  They might increase people's anticipation for a mod, but people shouldn't look forward to Inferno just so they can sort through the models and maps folders.  Story and missions should be the selling point, not exclusive ships.

IMO, this is a decision ultimately up to the individual artists themselves, but I personally think you should release anything that isn't unfinished or inherently a spoiler.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
A considerable number of assets are "unfinished" in the sense that they are high(er)-poly models that have been tilemapped so we can work with them and not have them hold up development, but they really deserve proper UVmapping and textures, but are "finished" in the sense that you can plop them in a mission and they don't look too out of place (though obviously not as good as they could), hence I say a case-by-case basis - a good number are actually UVmapped and complete, while others...well, they're complete and they're not...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Aesaar

I think it comes down to this: will the model be significantly improved between now and the campaign release?  If the answer is no, release it.  If the model's been sitting tilemapped for years, is it really going to get UVmapped and textured between now and Inferno's release?  Obviously, I can't answer that.  Only the artist can.

This is why we released the Erebus early rather than waiting for the WiH Director's Cut.  I don't consider it finished.  There's still a ****load of stuff that bothers me about it which I'd like to fix, and that's why it wasn't released last year when it probably should have been.  But it's good enough.  Whatever improvements I want to make can be packaged in a future BP release or by themselves later.  And since they're always drop-in, it's very easy to do this with UV maps and textures.  No balance work is required.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:56:16 pm by Aesaar »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Also, sometimes if you release assets a crazy talented mother****er pops up out of nowhere and improves them of his own crazy Canadian volition. That's a lot easier than recruiting.