Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 29311 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The ending is pretty well-written!

So well-written it took no effort. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Come on game industry. Let's get back to basics. A game just set in our solar system with colonised planets and moons would still be absolutely massive.
Kerbal Space Program. :) OK, it's not real scale (mainly for gameplay reasons), but can be made so with mods. What's interesting, it didn't start with a huge idea. It started as a very rudimentary physics sim that simply kept growing. Sure, it has its flaws and the graphics are medicore at best, but compared to how things look for other projects operating on such a scale, well...

Another thing to note that it has never involved any sort of multiplayer. Sure, the idea has been floating about, but it's always been a sideshow at most. So yeah. Start small, work your way up and stay away from grand multiplayer schemes (at least until the point you really don't have anything better to work on). To think of it, FSO (and many other open-source projects) also worked out that way. On the other hand, when ArmA3's devs tried focusing on multiplayer in the latest expansion, it was a complete disaster. Make of that what you will.

Scope is consistently a source of problems for pretty much anything these days. I don't know how long the actual development cycle was for NMS, but for a team of 12 people and what it appears they wanted to develop, they way over-scoped for whatever production time they had.

The last project I worked on, my senior game design project had a 6 month production cycle and 7 people all working part time on it. In retrospect given the uneven distribution of talent, the project was slightly over-scoped, though it had all the features (save for camera perspective switching) originally outlined, it's very rough around the edges.

Networking anything is a massive can of worms to open up if you're a small team and in hindsight, I think believing that a team of 12 would be able to deliver the scale of game they were promising as well as having Dark Souls esque multiplayer was optimistic, not necessarily completely foolish, just extremely optimistic.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Rumour has it that Steam have started offering refunds to anyone who feels cheated regardless of time played.

I suspect that is a steaming pile of crap, but I have seen posts from people who claim they got their money back.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, the Steam page very clearly says that there are no changes to the refund rules for NMS, and the gaming press hasn't been able to confirm refunds happening outside of the normal rules in any way.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 04:46:34 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Rumour has it that Steam have started offering refunds to anyone who feels cheated regardless of time played.

I suspect that is a steaming pile of crap, but I have seen posts from people who claim they got their money back.

Most people I know who had gone over the two hour limit managed to get their money back after submitting the request

There was some scuttlebutt about Sony seeing to it that digital copies on the PS4 were refunded too
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/234633-amazon-sony-steam-refunding-players-unhappy-with-no-mans-sky-former-sony-content-director-calls-refund-seekers-thieves

I personally cannot say my own experience at any rate. Either way, seems it's mostly anecdotal but nonetheless frequent
"No"

Offline Kszyhu

In other, extremely minor news - the Steam rating for NMS has crossed into Mostly Negative, at 39% of positive reviews. I haven't played the game, not at that kind of a price point, but it seems kinda harsh.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
In other, extremely minor news - the Steam rating for NMS has crossed into Mostly Negative, at 39% of positive reviews. I haven't played the game, not at that kind of a price point, but it seems kinda harsh.

Given the nature of how steam does their rating system, this isn't surprising. Without the middle ground choice, you're going to have a lot of people telling others that they don't recommend the game and write in the review "Yeah, wait till things get updated" rather than a thumbs up saying the same thing

Course, I entirely think the score is justified. They did it to themselves
"No"

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I really hate the yes/no good/bad rating system that took over the internet since whatever that old website that facebook stole "liking" things from started it. 
I like to stare at the sun.

The real reason good/bad rating systems took over is that in five-star systems the overwhelming majority of reviews are either five or one stars.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Allow people to vote but have 10s and 1s cancel each other out.  Just don't tell everyone that you're doing it.

Offline Luis Dias

10s and 1s already automatically cancel each other out?...?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Not really, they just pull the mark towards 5. I'm talking about having them completely cancel each other out or having an algorithm weight them based on the other marks the film is getting.

So for instance in a film like Suicide Squad which had a disproportionate number of people voting it worse movie evarrr! And fanboys giving it 10s to cancel them out you'd simply ignore all the 10s and 1s and calculate the score based on the other votes. Cause let's face it, the film deserves neither a score of 10 or a score of 1. 

Offline Luis Dias

I see what you mean. Like particles and anti-particles. Whenever there's a bunch of 1s and 10s, they cancel each other out. If there is way more 10s than 1s, then only those that didn't cancel out count.... wait. That doesn't work too, that would mean there would be a nasty war on who would get the biggest number of supporters, the 10s or the 1s. So scrap them off. Yeah. Wait. That doesn't work... they would figure it out and then the war would be between 2s and 9s. Well, 2s and 9s are out too. Wait.

Ah **** numbers.

It's pretty simple really, you take the 1s and 10s out of the review dataset, count them both, subtract the smaller from the larger and then put what's left back in.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
On a side track, I've been seeing posted on /r/RebelGalaxy that a lot of people that picked RG up for free on PSN are saying it fills the slot they had hoped NMS would rather nicely.  So that's a plus (for RG, which is a nice game, for a decent price (especially on sale / free).  Hopefully NMS will eventually grow out of its current state.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It's pretty simple really, you take the 1s and 10s out of the review dataset, count them both, subtract the smaller from the larger and then put what's left back in.

I wouldn't do that. It's not that different from now, it just depends on if there are more haters or fanboys.

I would compare the numbers against the rest of the dataset. For instance, if you have a lot of 1s and 10s but no 9s and 2s then people are ****ing around and not voting what they truly think of the film. So you discard all the 10s and 1s. The rest of the data set will give you a fairer picture of the data.

That's a simplified version. You really need a statistician rather than me to tell you how you could come up with a fairer system which couldn't be gamed as easily but I'd guess such things do already exist.  As I said, the secret is to not tell people that you're doing that. Same as how Google never reveal how their rankings work so that people can't game them.

Offline Luis Dias

Everyone knows how ratings work given enough time. Make it harder to understand these guys will only see that as another game to beat.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
The Steam voting system works for the most part. The idea is to read the reviews regardless if you're actually looking for veritable opinions
There are always going to be the ones who are quick to judge and ram away on the bandwagon, but then again that's true to any voting system that exists. If 1s and 10s don't count in a system, that doesn't account for the pointless reviews made by 2s-9s

Some people just throw on whatever and say stupid bull**** because why not

Reviews are to always be taken with a grain of salt, not salt itself

Either way, NMS rightfully deserved the backlash that it got. No matter if you liked the game or whether or not you're that special snowflake that keeps cramming down how people are stupid for believing what was said and that you knew exactly what the game was years ago... it still for the majority and most part did some ****ty things and overall is a meh game

On the note of Rebel Galaxy however, that game has an awesome soundtrack
"No"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
On the note of Rebel Galaxy however, that game has an awesome soundtrack

Indeed! ( <- YT playlist for RG OST, Spotify -> here