Author Topic: Screencap Contest - February 2018  (Read 3577 times)

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Re: Screencap Contest - February 2018

Literally 30 seconds before the end of February in my time zone.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It's got my vote... if I had one.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Are these... hearts? Valentine's hearts?  :lol:

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Bomb3rman, you are definitely not playing enough JAD.  :p
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Sadly I don't have enough time right now  :mad: But I will, someday ;)

Offline Axem

Sigh, I've been trying to put this off because as usual, you guys make this too hard.

I think I'm going to have to go with this Shivan Family Portrait by Nightmare. The Vassago pic by Techno and the JAD pic by PIe were also pretty nice (and not just because they're my campaigns (okay maybe a bit!).

2018 Scoreboard:
niffiwan - 1
Nightmare - 1

I just want to post some critiques and words of encouragement to help you guys take some better pictures. They're always good, but sometimes there's just a few things that could really make some of these pic even better.

One thing I always like to look for is originality. I liked this month's winner because it was different from before, it had work put into the composition and setup. It always brings a smile to my face when I see that little bit of creativity behind it everything.

Another thing that influences me is superb lighting. Nightmare's first entry was certainly red, but the ship it was meant to be showcasing was entirely black, I couldn't make out what it was! The Vassago pic was dark, but it had just enough lighting to make out the shape of the ship (and the bloom it was giving off helped give off a certain sinister presence).

On the other side of things, tomimaki's entry of a Rakshasa firing a beam is very striking, but it was a bit washed out. I know sometimes you're fighting various effects going off that do that sometimes, and it can look cool in motion, but as a static screenshot it loses some of that pop you get with good contrast. (I did really like it though!)

And just in general I like well composed pictures where you have a good view of the object that's pleasing to the eye. Check out some photography composition articles to get a feel how the pros do it.

Keep up the good work and please continue to make the end of the month miserable for me as I try and pick just one entry.

Now you mentioned this... yeah, I see washed colors.
I shouldn't post when I am tired. :P