Author Topic: Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw (full 3-D RG prequel) trailer & PAX West 2018 gameplay  (Read 8642 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw (full 3-D RG prequel) trailer & PAX West 2018 gameplay
Trailer (don't know why it's more cartoony than the gameplay.  Are they planning on offering a cell-shaded version?  xD)

Gameplay: (side note: how about them energy management gauges, eh?)

Quote from: Polygon, linked below
Outlaw appears to be slightly different. Not only is it a prequel, taking place 34 years prior to the events of the original game, but it will allow players to leave the two-dimensional plane in some way. A cinematic trailer, released today on IGN, shows players in the role of a female pilot of a much smaller, more maneuverable ship.

“This has got to be the most ambitious game I’ve ever worked on,” said Baldree in a press release. “We took what worked from the last title, and then went a little crazy. It’s got a stronger focus on story and place, a huge jump in detail, and while it still works great for folks with a HOTAS [hands-on throttle and stick] at home, I think we’ve managed to make space combat accessible and fun for everybody else in a way that nobody has managed before. We’ve got a lot more to share in the months ahead”

A press release states that Outlaw will include out-of-the-cockpit adventure as well, specifically “billiards and dice poker, plenty of sketchy characters to meet, and sketchier jobs to take on.”

Articles:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/08/31/rebel-galaxy-outlaw-announced/

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/31/17805908/rebel-galaxy-outlaw-prequel-pc-ps4-switch

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/31/rebel-galaxy-outlaw-revealed

https://rebel-galaxy.com/

Freespace-style combat?
Bounties, missions and an open universe?
The ability to flip off your enemies?
Yep this hits all kinds of the right spot.

And that pirate capship attack at 32:00

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 01:35:40 pm by jr2 »

Offline Darius

Re: Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw (full 3-D RG prequel) trailer & PAX West 2018 gameplay
Flight model looks the same as the Star Wars pitch video (with the same restrictions to vertical dimensions)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
This looks incredibly good, it really gives Privateer vibes and apart from the 2D sprite-based engine problems it's probably the open world spacesim I enjoyed the most. The PSA teaser almost felt like it was reading my thoughts ("do you like incredibly unrealistic space flight?").

Flight model looks the same as the Star Wars pitch video (with the same restrictions to vertical dimensions)

Restrictions?
Doesn't really look like it, the Falcon seems to do some vertical flipping here and there.
Or are you referring to the "space is an ocean" way the capital ships are positioned?

"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Darius

I've had a look at the hour long gameplay video that was released recently.

My impression initially was that the freedom of movement was more toroidal than true spherical 6DOF ie. Horizontal with some limited vertical movement but no more than a few degrees either direction.

Looking at it again, it looks more like a true 6DOF (which is making me very happy) with the "space is an ocean" object distribution which i do not mind at all!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Looking at it, that's actually 99% of what I wanted Star Citizen to be.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Darius

Freespace-style combat?
Bounties, missions and an open universe?
The ability to flip off your enemies?
Yep this hits all kinds of the right spot.

And that pirate capship attack at 32:00

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Auto-pursuit is all the good bits of Assault Horizon's Dogfight mode without the downsides.

Deeeefiiniiiiteeeely playing this.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Hot damn, that's exactly what modern Privateer remake is supposed to look like.

But I'm confused... I checked the website and apparently they DON'T sell their spaceships for 150bux (or more) a pop?!?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The ship painter at 39:00 (give or take) is amazing.  They're a really cool developer and I look forward to this after getting their original free on the ps4 a while back.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
That hour long gameplay video is one of the most hype-inducing things I've seen in recent memory (and yes, I started spamming it everywhere because people need to know, dammit!).

Besides, the GTA-style radio stations are something I didn't know I needed in an open world space sim and now I wonder why nobody thought about it back when the GTA games were doing it (at least I don't remember any that did it).
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Gliding and supercruise is IN!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
@SamVision - beat me to it!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
The Privateer remake they wanted to make got rejected by EA and they made this. Obviously ;-)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
It seems it will be an exclusive for the new Epic Games store:
https://www.epicgames.com/

Good grief another client to install, I hope it doesn't act up like uPlay does.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
It's coming out 13th August.

And now if I want to get either of the Optimus Prime figures I put my eyes on I have to push back buying Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom at least to September, I forgot how buying more than one game a year at day one could get expensive rapidly.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 09:53:32 pm by Det. Bullock »

2020 if you want it on Steam

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

2020 if you want it on Steam
Epic is not exactly endearing itself to me but it's not like I have to buy a new PC to use it and it's just the one game, these are probably the only 25 Euros I'll ever spend on the shop since I can do away with all the other exclusives they have.
If it comes out on GOG in 2020 I'll get it there too because these particular devs deserve my money just for having tackled this genre in this particular way in 2019, but I don't see that many differences between Epic and Origin or uPlay or even Steam back when it started, just big tech being mostly incompetent and greedy as usual.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I don't know how I missed this thread when it started, but that game looks like FUN!  I have not bought a game at launch price since BF3, but I may may an exception for this. 

I never quite got the hang of the 2D broadside combat of the original.  I struggled enough that it was more work than fun.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
I don't know how I missed this thread when it started, but that game looks like FUN!
No idea how I slept on this for so long, but consider my attention grabbed.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I don't know how I missed this thread when it started, but that game looks like FUN!  I have not bought a game at launch price since BF3, but I may may an exception for this. 
This year has been weird in that regard even for me, last year the only day one buy was Bloodstained Curse of The Moon that was just ten Euros, this year I bought at launch or preorder price Ace Combat 7, Bloodstained Ritual of The Night, this one and I'll buy Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom too.
I never quite got the hang of the 2D broadside combat of the original.  I struggled enough that it was more work than fun.
I liked it more than I thought I would instead.