Author Topic: Other Battlestar classes  (Read 16021 times)

Other Battlestar classes
I was wondering is there any chance other battle star classes would added to the game. classes like the Mercury class, and Galactica?

Offline newman

Re: Other Battlestar classes
Every release is going to introduce a new battlestar class to the game, and eventually every class you've seen in the show is going to be in.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Iam definitely looking forward to that :) can't wait for the new releases :)

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Look forward to the valkyrie and her sister ships in game in the next set of releases.

The question is what other designs has starslayer cooked up?

That will probably remain unanswered until he feels like it.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline newman

Look forward to the valkyrie and her sister ships in game in the next set of releases.

The question is what other designs has starslayer cooked up?

That will probably remain unanswered until he feels like it.

If you like Slayer's designs, R2 shouldn't disappoint in that respect. We do need to keep some things a surprise, though :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The big problem with Starslayer's designs is that they're good enough that they get ripped off. We've seen knock off versions of the Bolitho is lots of other places, often without any credit to Diaspora, Starslayer, or even Beyond the Red Line (which would probably mean that they got hold of the design a long time ago).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Yeah, I've seen a few, but it's a good thing he keeps a part of the process of his work here.

In the world of ripoffs, archiving your works and keeping essentially a "catalog" of it spares any doubts who made the dang thing in the first place. Keep notes, build ref sheets, date if possible and realize that if StarSlayer is good  enough to be ripoffed, he's got some aesthetic chops.

Some of StarSlayers work has started to influence my own designs and it's quite to my chagrin that I had scribbled somewhere in my sketchbook "StarSlayer has killed yet another idea!"
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline festivefire

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
    • Minecraft
on the subject of other battlestar classes, are you guys planning to do the nova class battlestar?
Digital Fire

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We won't be including any fanon battlestars other than our own.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
We won't be including any fanon battlestars other than our own.

Where does that leave the Defender/wedge-shaped thingie, out of curiosity? It's...in a grey area.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That one appeared in the show so it's canon. The issue of what to make it when we include it is an interesting one. It might be a nice ship to do in two versions, with turrets and a retrofit for civilian use.

As for when we'll make it (or even decide to make it), it's pretty far down the list of ships we want. I suspect if we ever get all the ships we want done, it will be on the list. That said, in the past we have given it to prospective team members as their task for entry into the team so it might appear sooner.

I was just curious what are your priorities regarding this one (dubbed "Berserk"):

It's the ship seen at Scorpion Shipyards in Razor.  It looks like a support vessel, rather than a full-blown battlestar (although, it looks to be the size of a Valkyrie) so, it would add some nice class variation to the game.  Plus, it has a hangar, so you could launch from it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Boy I hope that name would change.

Well, the name isn't cannon, and at worst it's the class name, so you'll never see a ship with that name. Anyway, seeing as there was a Ragnar, it's within reason that other colonial assets would have Norse-inspired names.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
One of the big ways to have ships you want to see in the game is to make them yourselves as a prospective. A big issue is of course labor since this is a volunteer project.

Ideally everything seen in the show, and then some more to flesh out the fleet, will be there.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline newman

I was just curious what are your priorities regarding this one (dubbed "Berserk")

Very similar to what Kara already wrote about the Defender.

Offline festivefire

• Minecraft
out of cuiriosity, which version of the Valkyrie are we getting, are we getting the refit that has the wing on the back, or the standard Valkyrie?
Digital Fire

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Our Valks are spoiler free.

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline newman

Yep, we opted for the one that doesn't have a cocktail bar over the engines. We never actually saw it with the "spoiler" in flight ("Hero" and "The Plan"), only when docked, and given the ridiculous way that thing looks I'm sticking to my theory it's some kind of an engine diagnostics package they slap on while in dock. In reality it was probably just a bad idea they got rid of later on, though :)

Offline festivefire

• Minecraft
ya, i see no reason a massive spaceship needs a spoiler, considering a battlestar would disintegrate on re-entry, and doesn't have the engine power for atmospheric flight even if it did survive.
Digital Fire