Author Topic: SILENT THREAT: REBORN RELEASED [Updated V1.4]  (Read 451540 times)

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Re: SILENT THREAT: REBORN RELEASED
Ive got a bit of a nitpick with VA's guide. Let's say people were to put the fsport-str flag in their fsport-mediavps mod.ini like VA said. They play the ST campaign, finish it, push their eyeballs back in and wonder whats next.
They then decide to play the FS1 campaign again.
Obviously they would want fsport vp's, so they dont bother changing the mod. But fsport-str is now part of the fsport vps, so when they go to play the FS1 campaign they get a bunch of unexplained errors and possibly a corrupted pilot file.

Does that make sense?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:27:22 pm by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I just thought of that too as I was editing something into my last post.  I think the main problem here is that ST:R needs to be retail-compatible, so it can't include high-poly ship models by default.  If it did, it could safely go first in the mod order, and fsport-mediavps could simply be at the start of the secondarylist.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
What about smurd's solution? Would this work?

By the way, for the windows launcher to use the mod line with mediavps recommended in this thread, you can
change the fsport-str/mod.ini to:

Code: [Select]
[multimod]
primarylist = fsport-mediavps;
secondarylist = fsport,mediavps;

and then select fsport-str from the launcher This will use fsport-mediavps first, then fsport-str, and last fsport
and mediavps. EXCEPT that the windows launcher has problems with mod names containing a dash, so remove
all of them from the mod.ini entries and folder names.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:27:06 pm by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
British/American spelling differs.

In the next briefing, it's spelled "material." I should have said that, too. I suppose it's okay, but it's expected to be one or the other, not both. Anyway, the first problem still applies.

EDIT: It might not be a typo after all.

materiel

noun
equipment and supplies of a military force

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Blah! Ok, my bad. Yeah the launcher has problems with any multimod listings with '-' in the name. I'll modify my little guide thing to correct for that. I had totally missed the fact that my own STR folder didn't have a dash. :\

I was hoping to avoid telling people to rename their folders - as those are the names the FSO Installer makes automatically, but it can't be helped. :\

Goob, could you copy the newly modified guide post into the first one plz? It should all work correctly for everyone now. :)

Edit: Oh, and it'd be best if you could also remove this bit from the first post:
Note that the default mod.ini does not use the mediaVPs.  If you want to play with them (also highly recommended), then use the following custom mod line.  Please note that if you want to use the FSPort mediavps, you must have the 3.6.10 mediavps installed as well.

-mod fsport-mediavps,fsport-str,fsport,mediavps
because that will conflict with what I'm telling them to do in the guide.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 10:53:35 pm by Vasudan Admiral »
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
just finished the campaign a couple of hours ago, aside from getting nailed more that enough in one of the last missions the hole campaign is remarcable, good plot and lot of attention to details also, great VA also :D

truly a pleasure playing this one, thanks fellows! ^^
el hombre vicio...

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Yey my rant did some good. See i'm not totally useless Snail.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:26:48 pm by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Does anyone have the old, non-HTL Karnak around? I'm stuck on an oldish Mac for the holidays and the mission with the PVI Egyptos is practically a slideshow.

(Yes, I turned the detail down to lowest already, this comp is not made for graphical awesomeness by any means, I'm assuming it has something to do with collision detection using LOD0 for calculations and slowing the comp down)
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Possible overlook?

Spoiler:
In Blood of Innocents, the Hades stopped firing beams at the Karnak. When I checked it, it seemed that the bombers disabled the weapon system. Anyway, I thought that I was supposed to destroy the Hades, but when I did (ALT+K at 35%), I wasn't given any orders, departed, and was reprimanded.
Uh, hm.  How many beams did it fire?  Because it uses fire-beam, which (I don't think) isn't affected by subsystem strength.

EDIT: It might not be a typo after all.

materiel

noun
equipment and supplies of a military force
Bingo. ;)

Yeah the launcher has problems with any multimod listings with '-' in the name.
Ugh.  >.<  You know, that was supposed to have been fixed in the code ages ago.  I guess I'll have to do it myself.

Goob, could you copy the newly modified guide post into the first one plz? It should all work correctly for everyone now. :)
K.

Does anyone have the old, non-HTL Karnak around? I'm stuck on an oldish Mac for the holidays and the mission with the PVI Egyptos is practically a slideshow.
Just disable the Port mediavps and regular mediavps.  The non-HTL Karnak is already included in the Port core vp.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sounds like your hard work paid off, Goob... congrats on a successful release!
 ;)
Missed this the first time around.  Thanks Betsy, and thanks for your help on ST:R. :)

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Just disable the Port mediavps and regular mediavps.  The non-HTL Karnak is already included in the Port core vp.

Well, crap. I don't actually have the mediaVPs on this comp to disable in the first place.

Which means the low-poly Karnak is the one that's lagging.

Ah, well. Guess I'll have to wait to finish playing this awesome campaign until I return home.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
So...is the HTL Karnak in any of the fsport vps including the mediavps and ST:R? :confused:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I just finished after two or three marathon sessions throughout the day.  And...wow. :D I can comfortably state that this is decidedly the best user-made campaign ever put together for this game.  I'd even go so far to say that it doesn't feel in the least like a fan-made production at all; if it magically replaced the original Silent Threat on my FS1 disk tomorrow, I wouldn't bat an eye.  Every single bit of the endless hours of hard work and devotion you guys poured into this comes through in the finished product, and the whole community is far better off for it.  You've managed to set new standards for campaign design, storytelling, voiceacting...the whole works.  Thank you for sticking with it for all of these years. :)

Now, before I gush any further, let me touch on some specifics:

Spoiler:
--As I said earlier, I loved how you started out changing up the retail missions right off the bat.  Eliminating the wild goose chase at the beginning of the original campaign and adding in that convoy mission was a great touch, and the handling of the mix-up over the escape pods was superb.  I can't help but miss the good old GeeTeeDee a little bit, though...

--Even the retail missions that you kept largely intact were tweaked to make them much more enjoyable and impactful.  Field of Destruction felt like it had an actual purpose to it, and the way you worked in the discovery of the Seraphim was great.  (I think it was in there; some of the missions are running together in my memory into one big blob of awesome.)  Cloak and Dagger had some real punch to it; I know I wound up failing or getting killed at least once, which was just about impossible in the original.  Hellfire was another one that you turned into a real challenge (and took me a few replays to get everything offed in time), and The Wait went from being a rather dull exercise to something that felt very natural.

--I think I've already gushed enough about He Who Rides the Tiger.  I think it still managed to hold up as my favorite through the end. :)

--Like others have said, I love a few of the cameos and references.  All Your Base, the Material Defender, the good ol' LoneWolf, fishes, beer...all fun stuff.  Seeing old ships like the Mecross, Repulse, and Orff make appearances was a nice touch, too, though I wish the Hope had managed to pull through. :(

--You picked things up to a ridiculous degree at the midway point.  Though short, Return to Ross 128 was infinitely more meaningful than in the original.  The attack on the Demon was a fantastic fast-paced mission, especially with that twist ending.  (I really liked how you emphasized the final roundup and defeat of the remaining Shivan forces, since the original didn't do much at all with that angle.)  You managed to turn that formerly-abysmal Krios destruction mission into something awesome; I actually felt sad at its destruction instead of utterly indifferent.  And I amazed myself that I was able to save the entire convoy in Exodus on just the second play-through; it had just the right amount of balance that it wasn't one of those repeat-this-ten-times chores.

--That does bring me to my one biggest nitpick about the campaign: those default EMP missile loadouts.  I'd like to strangle whichever one of you threw those in there. :p I found them just about utterly useless 90% of the time, unless you count scrambling my own sensors with them repeatedly and nerfing some of the dialogue.  And when the wingmen started flinging them around like crazy, dear lord...

--I think enough's been said about the voice work, so I won't go overboard on the completely-deserved massive helping of praise. :) The choice of music tracks throughout the campaign was great, too, particularly M10, which never got any love in retail.  That beta track you used for the main hall was a nice touch of atmosphere.  I was a bit disappointed that my personal favorite set, M9, didn't turn up anywhere.

--Forced Hand was a great way to set up the final stage of the campaign.  Whoever was providing Glaive's voice was utterly superb; I just wish he'd had more lines in other missions.  I did manage one interesting restart on this one that could be attributed entirely to those blasted EMPs.  Either myself or a wingman fired one at a wing of bombers that were attacking the boarding team, which managed to freeze a bomb not more than twenty meters from me.  I then made the brilliant decision to destroy said bomb at that range. :p

--Though it had a great atmosphere, Chasing Shadows was the first mission to really frustrate me with multiple replays.  Keeping those convoys out of the node while simultaneously fending off bomber wings and the ever-annoying Lokis was quite a challenge; I even had the bombers manage to destroy one of the Isis medic ships once.  And when I finally did beat it, the Hope limped out with all of 1% hull integrity.  She really needs to keep herself out of trouble better. :p

--Secrets Reborn was all sorts of epic; the dialogue from the Jotunheim was rather well-done.  It also managed to provide me with my favorite death of the campaign.  As soon as the Hades jumped in, I turned to gaze at it in wonder...only to get flattened by a chunk of Arcadia right up the backside. :lol: I'll second the amusement over the recommendation text.  Yay, the Hades finally does something!

--The final few missions were incredibly intense.  The Karnak defense was particularly pulse-pounding...and a bit frustrating, since that massive HTL model made my system chug along something fierce. :p The reactor defense segment was just awesome.  I was completely expecting a stealth mission in Abandon Hope, but the reality was something much more action-packed; the Hope's final moments were particularly well-done.  And the finale...well, that was something in and of itself.  I had a devil of a time taking out enough of those beam cannons to keep the Soyakaze alive, and even then, the Zeus wings managed to dip it below 20%.  Love the dialogue in that one in particular, though it was a tiny bit hard to follow while I was running all over the place.  Rubber bands need not apply. :p

--Man, you weren't kidding about 162 providing all sorts of hints throughout, were you? :p

--As a final (I promise :p) note, what impressed me most about the entire campaign in retrospect is how you managed to work the theme of the fledgling alliance throughout it; it was that element of unity that was the retail version's most glaring flaw.  It made perfect sense that the Hades project would have originated as a final solution against the Vasudans, and equally as much that R&D would be loath to let the whole idea go to waste after investing so much time and effort into it.  The theme of having to put basic trust in a former enemy against most general ideas of rational behavior is one that resonates well, and it makes for a good segue into the far more cohesive and developed Terran-Vasudan alliance that we experienced in FS2.

I think I've blabbed for long enough (and I desperately need sleep), but to sum up once again, thank you guys so much for a truly amazing experience. :) I'm as much of a canon stickler as anybody around here, but this is the one time when I'd be glad to make an exception.  Part of me wants to go back and play the original campaign now, to see the relative drek that inspired this...the smarter part of me just wants to play this through again. :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
AWESOME. :D  Thanks so much, Mongoose.  That is the review we were shooting for but only dared hope we'd achieve.  That makes all the hard work worth it. :)  (And believe me, it was a lot of hard work. ;))

I'd like to address a few points of yours though:

Spoiler:
--That does bring me to my one biggest nitpick about the campaign: those default EMP missile loadouts.  I'd like to strangle whichever one of you threw those in there. :p I found them just about utterly useless 90% of the time, unless you count scrambling my own sensors with them repeatedly and nerfing some of the dialogue.  And when the wingmen started flinging them around like crazy, dear lord...
Spoiler:
My lips are sealed. :nervous:

Actually, the only mission where you were forced to use EMPs was the Karnak mission, and that was by mistake.  I meant to change them back to Interceptors (which that mission had for the vast majority of its life cycle) just before the release, but apparently forgot.  They're back to Interceptors as of about two days ago, but you might have to re-download the core VP.

If you mean the scan-the-Hades mission, the enemies all have EMP missiles, and that was my idea. :)  The object was to make it a bit harder to do the scans.

That beta track you used for the main hall was a nice touch of atmosphere.  I was a bit disappointed that my personal favorite set, M9, didn't turn up anywhere.
Thank Dan Wentz for that beta track (it was on the CD he sent Nix). :)  But I must point out that M9 is used.  It's in Return to Ross 128. ;)

Spoiler:
--Forced Hand was a great way to set up the final stage of the campaign.  Whoever was providing Glaive's voice was utterly superb; I just wish he'd had more lines in other missions.  I did manage one interesting restart on this one that could be attributed entirely to those blasted EMPs.
Spoiler:
Glaive is indeed awesome, but is there any love for the Jotunheim commander? :(

Forced Hand isn't supposed to have EMPs in it though...

Spoiler:
--Though it had a great atmosphere, Chasing Shadows was the first mission to really frustrate me with multiple replays.  Keeping those convoys out of the node while simultaneously fending off bomber wings and the ever-annoying Lokis was quite a challenge; I even had the bombers manage to destroy one of the Isis medic ships once.  And when I finally did beat it, the Hope limped out with all of 1% hull integrity.  She really needs to keep herself out of trouble better. :p
Spoiler:
Congratulations. :)  That was deliberately intended to be extremely difficult.  It's only necessary to save the Hope to advance in the campaign, but if you maintain the blockade as well (and rescue the survivors), you get the Military Defense medal.  It's the hardest medal to get in the campaign. ;)

Spoiler:
--Man, you weren't kidding about 162 providing all sorts of hints throughout, were you? :p
Spoiler:
Nope. ;)  The question is, did you get them all? :D

Spoiler:
--As a final (I promise :p) note, what impressed me most about the entire campaign in retrospect is how you managed to work the theme of the fledgling alliance throughout it; it was that element of unity that was the retail version's most glaring flaw.  It made perfect sense that the Hades project would have originated as a final solution against the Vasudans, and equally as much that R&D would be loath to let the whole idea go to waste after investing so much time and effort into it.  The theme of having to put basic trust in a former enemy against most general ideas of rational behavior is one that resonates well, and it makes for a good segue into the far more cohesive and developed Terran-Vasudan alliance that we experienced in FS2.
Awesome. :D

I think I've blabbed for long enough (and I desperately need sleep), but to sum up once again, thank you guys so much for a truly amazing experience. :) I'm as much of a canon stickler as anybody around here, but this is the one time when I'd be glad to make an exception.
:)

Part of me wants to go back and play the original campaign now, to see the relative drek that inspired this...the smarter part of me just wants to play this through again. :D
When you have time, do both.  And then see if you notice anything more on the second play-through. ;)

Finally finished it. The campaign was jaw droppingly awesome  :eek2: :yes:.

Here are my comments:

Spoiler:
Overall the improval over the original ST is gigantic. All missions including the new ones where made top-notch in both gameplay and story. Some highlights:

Silence all Voices was made from a dumb pure dogfight mission into a challenging time-trial(it really made me hate those Isis transports after what they did to my Ulyssess hull). Screwing up by jumpin a second too late was also mean. :p

Next thing that caught my attention was the mission with the three Science Cruisers and the escaping Shivans. I have to admit that that sequence made me freak out and die when the Shivan jumped on my fighter. No campaign had creeped me out like this since Transcend. It was a bit troublesome to find out what you have to do there too. It took me three attempts:
1.Freak out and die while standing still.(hit alt-j to late to jump out)
2.Try and jump out as soon as it lands on me. Die while entering subspace.
3.Get as far away from the cruisers as possible. Impressive of those Shivans to be able to jump 8km distance in a split second. :p Freak out again - use afterburners - PROFIT!
The remainder of the mission was amazingly atmospheric with the sense of hopelessness peaking when I saw two cruisers and then a Demon jump in to get me.

Admiral Glaives voice over was badass indeed but his character seems to disappear after you take over the Repulse. They should have used more of him to give some inspirational dialog during the fights with Hades. ;7

Quote from: Goober5000
Glaive is indeed awesome, but is there any love for the Jotunheim commander?

What? Was that your voice?  :D It was pretty good actually... had me convinced for a moment there. Maybe for Silent Threat:Rereborn we can have branching that allows you to defect into GTI in that mission eh? :nod:.

Spoiler:
The mission with the Shivans in Ross was just mean. It took me 20 minutes to clean everything out after my wing mates got toasted only to find that if I stay too long I get disabled and ganked by traitors. I definitely wasn't expecting that.

I think i was the only person that liked using those EMP missiles in the Karnak defense mission. Just scramble the bombers in the "sweet spot" when their about to launch and go for the clean kill. Managed to keep the station at over 70% when the second cruiser went down. Your wing mates using them are annoying though.

The final 4 missions actually had me guessing when it would be time to take down the Hades. I didn't really bother counting the missions so I was expecting every appearance of the Superdestroyer to be its last. The most d'oh of these moments was in the second to last scanning mission the it got disabled. Oddly the Hades is dubbed a Juggernaut in ST:R where I though it was a Superdestroyer but whatever.

Overall Silent Threat:Reborn fills the the storyline gaps between FS1 and FS2 main campaigns providing some stupendous gameplay in the process.

If I were to compile a "new canon" Freespace storyline made from campaigns of voice acted goodness it would definitely be(in playing order):

1.FS1 Main Campaign(fsport)

2.Silent Threat:Reborn

3.FS2 Main Campaign(mediavps ;))

4.Derelict

5.Inferno (or Blue Planet once it get voice acted)

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
I'm trying, really I am. I uninstalled everything FS2 wise, reinstalled the game and redownloaded using FSO installer, I followed the instructions to the letter and chaged the mod ini in the str folder to what was recommended. I'm sure I've done it right. Yet the bloody lambda 1 still insists it has no orders.

Here's proof.

Look in the bottom left. "No orders" so it just sits there!

I'm getting really frustrated now.
Done voice work for :
TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
Possible overlook?

Spoiler:
In Blood of Innocents, the Hades stopped firing beams at the Karnak. When I checked it, it seemed that the bombers disabled the weapon system. Anyway, I thought that I was supposed to destroy the Hades, but when I did (ALT+K at 35%), I wasn't given any orders, departed, and was reprimanded.
Uh, hm.  How many beams did it fire?  Because it uses fire-beam, which (I don't think) isn't affected by subsystem strength.
Tested again. This time weapon subsystems weren't destroyed, but it still stopped firing. I think it fire 8, maybe 10 times. Oh, it was also on Very Easy Mode.

Offline ShivanSpS

OMG, the scince vessels escorts...  making a video to youtube now...

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
I'm trying, really I am. I uninstalled everything FS2 wise, reinstalled the game and redownloaded using FSO installer, I followed the instructions to the letter and chaged the mod ini in the str folder to what was recommended. I'm sure I've done it right. Yet the bloody lambda 1 still insists it has no orders.

Here's proof.

Look in the bottom left. "No orders" so it just sits there!

I'm getting really frustrated now.
Try letting it die. It might help.

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
Why would that help at all, I've had it die before and lambda 2 just sat there.
Done voice work for :
TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning