Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 612129 times)

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Re: What are you playing right now?
Mount and Blade: War Band

I've conquered Calradia as a non-woman now I gotta girl up and get the last achievements. Finally finished the Swadian rebellion now half the map is in their hands. With some save scumming I can get the achievement for helping my faction conquering the map then going back a few hundred days and starting my own campaign to become Queen.

Napoelonic Wars too. Jumping into a napoleonic battle with all the clumsy derpery of mount and blade mechanics is just never going to get old. I've charged at the guns with my trusty mount, derped around as a field engineer and piped a sad lament over the rotting corpses of my fallen comrades; all while listening to some great classic music. I make it a rule to just go berserk whenever Toreador comes on, still not sure why.

Offline Snarks

Just got done playing Conan Exiles.

I'm having such polarizing opinions about the game. On one hand, I absolutely love the setting, and the combat engine is refreshing given how most other survival games feature either guns or simple click and hit stuff mechanics. On the other hand, I hate the fact that the game is set up to be like a RPG, where you are intended to progress from one area to the next. It absolutely ruins the open world feel of the game, since you are expected to be in the region similar to your level/equipment. I have no incentives to explore other places because enemies will be either too weak or too strong to fight against. It also means you have to basically move your base from region to region.

I just restarted my Week 15 Darkest Dungeon Save. Dang this is haaaaaard.

Offline crizza

Playing Naval Action, but watching One Piece while sailing around :D

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Started playing Quantum Break... a few days ago... A month ago, Remedy unveiled their next project: Control.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Finally picked up Borderlands.  Pew-pew!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Been playing a lot of Battlestar Galactica : Deadlock recently. Technically I can claim it's research for Diaspora.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Snarks

Been playing a lot of Battlestar Galactica : Deadlock recently. Technically I can claim it's research for Diaspora.

With or without the DLCs? I thought the game was passable. Here's hoping the DLCs improves the overall experience.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Without the DLCs. It's a bit samey unfortunately. It suffers from the Total War problem where after a while you just start auto-resolving all the battles.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Finally picked up Borderlands.  Pew-pew!

The first one? I just finished the second one.  Have to pre-sequel as well but it's not compatible with my Xbox One yet so, would need to drag out the 360 if I ever want to play it.  Hopefully they just add the backwards compatibility in there.

Started Uncharted Lost Legacy - decent though, Chloe is framed very much like Lara Croft in a lot of ways I feel so far.

EDIT - Finished Lost Legacy, only took two or three nights. Pretty short game, the environments are all pretty similar though they put some work into the architecture.  Puzzle/Climbing/Combat ratio was better than normal, with less combat (weakest part of the game imo).  Overall not too bad, especially as got it on sale.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:28:33 am by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Finished Bloodstained: Curse of The Moon (PC)
For real this time.
Nightmare mode leads to an alternate last level and the definitive ending to the storyline of the game (also an after credits scene, be sure not to skip it).
The alternate last level isn’t that difficult and the final boss allows for an extra life hidden in the respawn point giving effectively infinite extra lives for figuring out the boss patterns.
While I played it in “veteran mode” (that is with the old NES Castlevania physics) the game isn’t as unfair as the games it imitates (I wasn’t able to finish the first Castlevania even abusing savestates) but still no walk in the park, it took me weeks to beat the second to last level in Nightmare mode.
Still the mouse+keyboard default controls for gamepad-less players are really, really silly.

Tomb Raider 2 (PC)
Now I’m at the monastery, even though the motor sled was clunky and there were multiple sections in which not taking damage was impossible I managed to get through Tibet without using any medikit.
Similar deal with the Deck level before it, I also managed to get all secrets thus far.
Fortunately until now no level reached the ridiculous levels of Venice and the Opera Theatre but the game could do with less combat encounters and be the better for it. Besides, how the hell they managed to get so many armed goons inside a goddamn shipwreck!?
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Preping for a Let's Play of Red Faction Guerillia ReMarstered ... let's hope that the pseudo-Xbox Controller I fixed up for playing Tokio Yanadu eX+ holds until that is complete (esspecially considering I canabilised another broken controller* to fix it)

* I play a lot of Dark Souls  :D
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

I've beaten DMC1, and I beat Dante's Campaign in DMC 2. Man Lucia plays reaaallly good. Can't say I want to replay the later half of DMC 1, or any of Dantes campaign in 2.

In 2, I killed three Abrams Tanks by pumping 12 gauge rounds into them at pointblank range. That was neat.
In 1, I had to carefully break the Shields of a group of Lizard men by Shoryukening them. That was ****ing awesome.

Nothing in 2 has really hit that high that fighting Nero Angelo or Phantom in 1 gave me. Learn their fighting style or get your head pounded into the ground. IIRC, they changed the difficulty in 2 since it was the the one thing people complained about in the Quizzes sent out during it's development.

Which is... kinda good? I mean, the frustration of getting my face torn off by Phantom was pretty frustrating. But this is kinda overkill. I'm really not having ANY challenge, except for some later bosses like Bolverk or Trismaga. And the fact that most enemies go down in like 3 shotgun blasts, and they throw them at you like candy, plus how they respawn if you leave certain zones in the rooms. Makes the entire game a slog. I mean, I had tonnes of fun. But yeah except for the bosses. I basically just held down the fire button.

I both like and sort dislike the control changes, since your roll in 2 is now set to the same button as interacting. Yeah... I can't see that being a nuisance sometime ingame... no sir. :3
Dante at-least starts with his double jump and a faster run speed.

1 is a little clunky, and the levels dragged on. But since every room was very cramped. You had to use the little space available, but there's tonnes of space to dodge in 2. Plus the limited space and how the moves you had like Stinger in 1, increased your mobility made it very easy to keep enemies within reach for combos. I found myself accidentally knocking people across the room in 2, and having to roll or shoot them to keep the combo going. But why even melee them in the first place? Stay at a distance and pump them with lead.

I really like the ability to customize your Devil Trigger, that's ****ing awesome. I wonder how that would work in a later game. Also thank the Elder Gods, they changed the Yellow Orbs to not take you to an entire different menu, just to say you used one to revive yourself. In 2, they just get consumed and you come back. DMC 2 is definitely worth a play through, it's much shorter than 1. Mostly because they didn't add allot of backtracking and increased how fast you can move. 

Finished Uncharted LL and playing Titanfall 2's SP campaign. Pretty fun but I wish I could disable Auto Aim.  Also I don't find the parkour elements to be very workable most of the time, probably just need to get good, but during combat I don't find there's enough places to wall run to get up to speed.

The mecha combat is also kinda meh.  I actually prefer being outside of the Titan so far, combat seems more dynamic.

Offline crizza

While Freespace is one of my favorite childhood game, there is another one: Urban Assault and I got it to run thx to this nifty UA Source project.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
I have been playing Skyrim with the Bruma mod installed, and I couldn't help but notice some of the voices sounded very familiar. .

Admiral Po of the GTD Intrepid (BtA) and the court adviser in Castle Bruma are clearly the same voice actor, but I also think one of the generic guard voices sounds a lot like Lorna Simms from Blue Planet. . . but I could be wrong on that one.

I never really thought about where/how mods get their voice actors from before, now I'm curious.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Since I was fed up with single-handedly causing the extinction of the snow leopard in Tomb Raider 2 I decided to keep playing Castlevania Rondo of Blood (romhack with the PSP translation) on the Wii, this time using a Mega Drive gamepad with a Gamecube adapter by Raphnet Tech (even with international shipping was much less costly than one of those Hori pads and I always have some Mega Drive/Genesis controller lying around since it's basically the console of my childhood) and boy is it much less tiring playing with a proper D-pad.
Of course I interrupted at the galleon level and that's where the proverbial **** hits the fan, Death was the first boss I had to use the built-in hint system for and the following level was a boss rush and the seventh level started with the most difficult version of the crumbling bridge with bats in all Castlevania games I played, though the level is mostly in line with the rest of the game for the rest once you rescure Richter's girlfriend. Though I had to use a walkthrough to find the two remaining damsels in distress, one was obvious in hindsight, the other much less so. At the moment I still have to get the timing to pass under the second form of Dracula while it jumps right, and thank god Dracula's boss room is a separate level, I don't think I could take going through the clock tower and its boss every time I lose a continue.

Also in my quest to get in touch with what the kids play today I picked up Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut on GOG.com, mostly because I wanted something not too difficult after spending two hours trying to beat Dracula in Rondo of Blood. I'm playing in Italian for once, mostly because I think I'll get the Ezio Auditore's games and I wanted to experience at least this part of the series consistently and I HATE when some english speaking actor decides to break in random Italian phrases. Yeah, I know that to brits, yanks, aussies and company sounds cool and exotic but there is basically no native english speaking actor that I know of that doesn't still have a foreign accent to an Italian ear and let's not talk about bad grammar and misused idioms.  :rolleyes:
But forgetting rants about language, I'm liking the game so far, there is a lot of repetition but since I'm not exactly searching for deep gameplay at the moment it's not necessarily an issue for me. The controls feel a bit weird though, I tried both M+K and gamepad and in the end settled for M+K because it's easier to control the camera with the mouse.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Molto bene   ;)

MGS 2 and 3 HD remake on P'S Vita.   Currently on a week long holiday with in laws and I needed a fix and this is all I can get due to the wifi and my vita failing to cooperate, otherwise I'd be remote connecting to the PS4 6 hours away and playing something a bit less addictive.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Snarks

A complete remake of MGS3 on the Fox engine would be amazing, and I will throw money so hard at such a project. That said, it isn't going to happen.

Started playing CRYPTARK, which I picked up on the Steam summer sale. It's both frustrating and fun. But I think I'm just not that big of a fan of twin joy-stick shoot em ups.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I’ve finished Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (wii)
Yep, I can confirm that Super Castlevania IV is the worst 16-bit Castlevania, both Rondo and Vampire Killer/New Generation/Bloodlines are far superior games with a tighter design, less schizophrenic difficulty curve (SCIV is either super-easy or stupidly hard while the other two are consistently hard with some stupidly hard parts here and there which paradoxically trains you better for the stupidly hard parts) and a better art style with bolder colours and better drawn sprites (SCIV is mostly brown and the sprites are often rather stiff-looking).
I still have to beat stage 5’ though (the one unlocked after beating Dracula) but that stage is basically late level NES Castlevania grade of bull**** difficulty so I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to achieve 100% completion.