Author Topic: No weapons except hornet in loadout - 1st mission  (Read 4442 times)

Offline red_5

No weapons except hornet in loadout - 1st mission
I installed ST-R, tried to play. The only weapon I have in the loadout screen is the hornet swarm missile. No guns, no other missiles, nothing.

When I play the normal ST, I have all the weapons.

What gives?

Running all the latest FSO downloads on a 2011 MacBook Pro 13." I've got FS2, FSP, STR, no mediavps for FSP.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 02:04:06 am by red_5 »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: No weapons except hornet in loadout - 1st mission
That sounds very odd.  Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post. That should help us figure out what the issue is.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline red_5

Log file generated. I ran the game, selected the ST-R campaign, messed around in the loadout screen and flew around for a few seconds while trying to switch primary weapons, just to try and generate as much weapon-loadout-related script as possible.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Code: [Select]
FreeSpace 2 Open version: 3.7.0.9755
Can you try again with a more recent version, either 3.7.2 RC3 or a recent nightly build (or both)?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

STR was somewhat recently updated for MediaVPs 2014 and you'll need a more recent build to play it, you'll also(obviously) need MediaVPs 2014.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline red_5

Which build do I have, and which do I need?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline red_5

Ok, so I'm so smart, I dug up the 3.7.2. RC3 and installed it, downloaded the 2014 Mediavps for FS2, now when I try to play ST-R it crashes when I click on Weapons Loadout. It'll launch the mission if I click Commit, but I still only have Hornets and no primary weapons. Log attached.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Ok, so I'm so smart, I dug up the 3.7.2. RC3 and installed it, downloaded the 2014 Mediavps for FS2, now when I try to play ST-R it crashes when I click on Weapons Loadout. It'll launch the mission if I click Commit, but I still only have Hornets and no primary weapons. Log attached.
In this case, the crash is because of the lack of weapons in the loadout (which is a known and fixed bug, although it was fixed after 3.7.2 RC3). It should be noted that FSO "caches" loadout information; you may be running afoul of saved, bogus loadout information here. Try creating a new pilot to see if the new pilot still encounters loadout problems; if not, then we can worry about fixing your regular pilot. If so, then something else is going screwball.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline red_5

Alright, creating a new pilot fixes the issue. Thanks for helping me solve this!

Can I fix my current pilot? I would like to save my stats and stuff.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Technically you can fix the pilotfile.  But given that its in a binary format and must be edited with a hex editor isn't not easy. And you probably need to read the code in order to figure out the files format :)  Having said all that, if you can attach both the .csg and the .plr files to the forum, I'll see if I can fix them up for you (no promises though).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Yarn

STR was somewhat recently updated for MediaVPs 2014 and you'll need a more recent build to play it, you'll also(obviously) need MediaVPs 2014.
It wasn't. Yes, there's an unofficial patch to make FSPort compatible with the 2014 MediaVPs, but it's just that--unofficial. Furthermore, you don't actually need the MediaVPs to play ST:R. (It's still a good idea to try a more recent build, though.)
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline red_5

There's a lot of files in the players folder. I'll just make a new one. Heaven forbid I have to beat the game again, it's not like it's fun  :D

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
It wasn't. Yes, there's an unofficial patch to make FSPort compatible with the 2014 MediaVPs, but it's just that--unofficial. Furthermore, you don't actually need the MediaVPs to play ST:R. (It's still a good idea to try a more recent build, though.)
In fact according to red_5's log he isn't using the fsport mediavps or the regular mediavps
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.