Author Topic: I have never played Silient Threat before should I....  (Read 4870 times)

Offline eisberg

I have never played Silient Threat before should I....
So I did play Freespace 1 and 2 back in 1999, but I never did play Silent Threat.  Should I actually play Silent Threat, or just go for the Silent Threat Reborn instead?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: I have never played Silient Threat before should I....
I'd say skip the original Silent Threat for now. It's somewhat interesting from a historical point of view, but Silent Threat: Reborn is better in every way.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

I just went for it rather than play the original. Didn't regret it.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
I've played Silent Threat. Can't say I've completed it.  :shaking:
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

I've beaten Silent Threat... and I can't say I remember it as well as the campaign's of the 1st and 2nd campaigns.... but I still would recommend the Reborn version.

Yes, i recommend it.

Because it is an official campaign.
Also Reborn is more impressive if you know the original and see all the changes and improvements with your own eyes.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'd say skip the original Silent Threat for now. It's somewhat interesting from a historical point of view, but Silent Threat: Reborn is better in every way.

Yeah do this

@eisberg: You're in for a treat. IMO, ST:R is the gold standard of "classic" FreeSpace gameplay. Also, the VA and cutscenes are top-notch.

I haven't played ST, but I've heard it's horrible.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
We've intended ST:R to be a drop-in replacement for Silent Threat, to match the quality of the FS1 and FS2 main campaigns. If you're just looking to play and move on, go for ST:R. If you do want to truly appreciate just how good of a job we've done here, you can play through Silent Threat.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I'd say play the original ST. It's part of lore. Also if you see people referring to it at "rushed," "piece of s***," or "horrible," you can see where they're coming from. Personally, I don't hate it as much as most people around here. Sometimes I enjoy very simple things, and the original ST is very, very simple.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The only reason to play the original Silent Threat is literally for the setup of Hellfire and the perspective it provides about the Shivans, if you care about that sort of thing.

One mission, not for the mission, just for the briefing/debrief/fail debrief. It's the single significant lore contribution in there, really. This is not to say original ST is unfun, mind, it's just that ST:R is also fun, and far better made.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The only mission of (positive) note I can think of in the original Silent Threat was "Cloak and Dagger," due to the frigate-scanning gimmick.  It's also notable that the fan-created Destiny of Peace campaign included in the user-made missions list is far more memorable and well-crafted than the canon expansion itself.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The only reason to play the original Silent Threat is literally for the setup of Hellfire and the perspective it provides about the Shivans, if you care about that sort of thing.

One mission, not for the mission, just for the briefing/debrief/fail debrief. It's the single significant lore contribution in there, really.

...Really?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...