Author Topic: Crash During "Chasing Shadows"  (Read 5138 times)

Crash During "Chasing Shadows"
I've had multiple crashes during "Chasing Shadows" at different points during the mission.

Log attached.

Thanks!

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Crash During "Chasing Shadows"
The log shows FSO quitting successfully, not crashing.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Hmm, odd...

Let's try this one.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
That one just suddenly stops without recording the error; unfortunately, that makes it effectively useless for troubleshooting. However, I notice you seem to be using 3.7.4 RC1. Could you try it with a recent Nightly Build instead? If that doesn't crash, I think it's probably a ship-spawning bug that was already fixed, and 3.7.4 RC2 should work when that gets released.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm getting a crash on this mission too.  The timing is completely random.  Sometimes I get it within a few seconds of the mission starting.  Sometimes much later.  I just tried a hunch and opened the mission in FRED and deleted the event that replaces the ships with hulks and played it again.  Things seemed to be going better and I made it much further into the mission.  Unfortunately, I did poorly enough that the Hope got destroyed, so I restarted.  Unfortunately, I experienced the same random crash.  Then I reopened it in FRED and deleted the debris field, but got the crash again.

I had played on a recent debug and got a CTD with the following message:

Assert: num == bm_bitmaps[n].handle
File: bmpman.cpp
Line: 961

ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_5_SSE2_20160401_f4645e3-DEBUG.exe! <no symbol>
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes

I tried to include my log in an attachment, but the file size limit is 2 MB, and my log is about 2.7 MB.  Yes, I'm using a filter file so that may have a bearing on the massive file size.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I tried to include my log in an attachment, but the file size limit is 2 MB, and my log is about 2.7 MB.  Yes, I'm using a filter file so that may have a bearing on the massive file size.
http://pastebin.com/

Your debug log could very well have something helpful, if all filters are active; I'd very much like to take a look at it.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Pastebin wouldn't work for me.  It told me that my post exceeds its 512 KB-per-paste limit.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Pastebin wouldn't work for me.  It told me that my post exceeds its 512 KB-per-paste limit.
Ffffffffffff--

Like, email me or send it via Skype or something because anything that could help even narrow down the problem would be helpful.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Mediafiiiiiiiirrrre...

Or, like, Google Drive or something, since you most likely have a Google account already.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Ffffffffffff--

Like, email me or send it via Skype or something because anything that could help even narrow down the problem would be helpful.
I don't have your email account and its not in your profile.  PM me with it if you want me to send it that way.

That one just suddenly stops without recording the error; unfortunately, that makes it effectively useless for troubleshooting. However, I notice you seem to be using 3.7.4 RC1. Could you try it with a recent Nightly Build instead? If that doesn't crash, I think it's probably a ship-spawning bug that was already fixed, and 3.7.4 RC2 should work when that gets released.

I just completed the mission twice with no problems using the latest nightly build.

Looks like your hunch was right, but if there's anything you need from me, let me know.

Thanks!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
As I noted in another thread in the Support forum, it appears that I WASN'T using the latest builds, due to the launcher ignoring the presence of any build newer than April 1st.  I will also try to replay this mission with the hulk Atens and Typhon reactivated, and the debris field reinstated.  I have high hopes that it will succeed.