Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 421263 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.11.2 (combined launcher/installer)
Hi,

I've come back to FreeSpace after a long time and wanted to say that Knossos looks dope! You guys have done a great job.
I had an issue with downloading Knossos as it was flagged by Norton and Windows Defender as being unsafe (and auto deleted). This might new people off from downloading and proceeding past that point.
This point might have been raised earlier in the thread (I wouldn't know as i never learnt how to read!  :shaking: )

Keep up the good work.

I think there's a way to submit the file for review or somesuch.  If not you could just contact the AV vendor and tell them it's a false positive.

For FSPort MediaVPS, the field where video should play during briefings in-between missions (As in story events, introducing new weapons, etc) is blank and there is no voice audio. There is also no voice audio during the level briefing or the level itself- sound effects work just fine though.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
For FSPort MediaVPS, the field where video should play during briefings in-between missions (As in story events, introducing new weapons, etc) is blank and there is no voice audio. There is also no voice audio during the level briefing or the level itself- sound effects work just fine though.

The voice files and animation files are separate optional downloads. If you go to FSPort MediaVPs, click the dropdown, click Modify, then check the boxes for the option VPs, they should start working for you.

EDIT: FSPort is a confusing piece of **** mess. I may have been wrong. You should follow the steps to modify your FSPort install as well. Make sure to install all the optional VPs there.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:05:09 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Is there any permanent fix on this?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
For what problem? If you're talking about the FSPort issue, it should be working with all the relevant packages installed. If it's not working even with that, then there is a bug in Knossos and we'll have to look for a fix.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.12.0 (combined launcher/installer)
Version 0.12.0 has been released. macOS and Ubuntu builds will follow in a few days (both failed on the CI and I can't build them manually right now).

This release introduces a major UI change: We now have a custom title bar! If you don't like it or it doesn't work (i.e. you're seeing two title bars), you can go to the settings screen and disable it there. Huge thanks to mjn for the design and the icons!
Mod menus have a new "Open Debug Log" button which does exactly what it says on the tin.
m!m improved the "Apply To All" button in the global FSO flags section. It now does its work in the background instead of freezing Knossos (particularly noticable if you have a lot of FSO builds installed).
mjn also fixed the Save buttons, they no longer move around when a save confirmation popped up.

Oh, and you no longer have to be logged in to upload debug logs.

Finally, according to my statistics out of over a hundred users, only 2 are using a 32bit processor. Since nobody has complained since my last announcement regarding this, I'll switch to 64bit Windows builds if it becomes necessary.

But 2 32bit users isn't "none"; you might want to keep a working 32bit version available, even if you don't continue development for that system anymore. (I have a 32bit system, but I don't use Knossos, so it's not a problem for me but for others it might be).

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
In fairness, I think he meant that "nobody mentioned" having 32 machines only. Though having an archived, no longer supported 32 verison is probably not a bad idea if that means the rest of us 64 users can have an updated, faster version  :D

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
All releases since 0.5.0 are available on GitHub and I have no intention of taking those down. However, if I do switch to 64bit builds, I won't keep updating the 32bit builds (sorry, I simply don't have the time to maintain two versions of Knossos) and they might eventually stop working due to changes to the Nebula server.

That said, I don't have any plans to switch in the immediate future. The problem that prompted me to consider switching is that the main UI component for Knossos (QtWebEngine) only offers 64bit builds in its latest release (at least through PyQt5). I'm not sure if it's intentional and if future releases will include 32bit builds again or not. However, if PyQt5 drops support for 32bit QtWebEngine, I will eventually be forced to switch to 64bit builds if I don't want to be stuck on an old version. For now, I'm sticking to the last release with 32bit QtWebEngine.

EDIT: "nobody has complained" was in reference to my question two weeks ago. I asked if it would be a problem for anyone if I switched to 64bit builds. Nobody has responded to that.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 03:55:49 pm by ngld »

I had the feeling that not all people coming to HLP and playing the mods here necessary register an account (mostly when they have problems, or don't have Discord), so asking the people on the forum might not cause someone affected to complain.

It might be useful that when switch to 64bit only, you could provide a link, with something like "32bit is no longer supported/developed, but you can find a working built here:".

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It honestly surprises me that even 2 people (3 with Nightmare) in 2018 still have a 32 bit computer... limited to 4gb of RAM. Yeesh.

Well my i7 was state-of-the-art, back in 2011...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Well my i7 was state-of-the-art, back in 2011...
If you have a i7 from 2011, then the only thing limiting it to 32bit would be if you still ran windows xp or something. I mean, my desktop is also an i7 from 2011, and it has 16gb ram and is fully 64bit and all that jazz.

IMO good call to drop support for 32bit at this point.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Uh.. yeah. If you have an i7, then you have a 64-bit capable chip. You're limited by your OS (either old or you installed the wrong version).

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Some 64-bit capable computers that came with less than 4GB of RAM from the manufacturer shipped with 32 bit OS versions.  Someone could have gone from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 10 32-bit via the free upgrade offer and still be on fairly modern hardware and software, but still locked into 32-bit land.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Whoops...... when I bought that thing I had a lot of 32bit games so I used that 32bit version and continued that from WinXP over Win7 and Win10 for some reason.... :warp:

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I believe there's a way on Win10 to "upgrade" to the 64bit version. Would have to Google it.

Yeah I think there is. But thanks for the reminder everybody, I totally forgot about it. :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The "upgrade" path for x86 to x64 of any version of Windows is to do a clean install of x64 of the same revision of Windows (eg, if you had x86 Win 7 Home, do x64 Win 7 Home) and you should be able to use the same key and keep it activated.  Of course this is on the same machine, not a new one (unless you have retail, then I think as long as you aren't using the old x86 version any more, you might have to call M$ and explain, but you should still be good?)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/is-a-windows-7-license-key-valid-for-both-32-bit/70d546cd-b6e3-44d8-a6c8-fd7feb7d1915

https://superuser.com/questions/979528/is-a-product-key-for-32-bit-windows-compatible-for-64-bit-windows

Is Knossos installing the upgraded movies?  I manually installed them for my wxLauncher installation and they seem to be working but the Knossos intro doesn't seem to be the updated one.