Author Topic: BETA RELEASE: Wing Commander Saga for FSO  (Read 42904 times)

Offline Crashdown117

• You can't take the sky from me
    • Steam
Re: BETA RELEASE: Wing Commander Saga for FSO
It appears, mission 37 (the first of the Hyperion arc) has the same problem as mission 9, when it comes to landing on the Hermes. Tried it twice and the landing sequence wasn't triggered both times.
"Flying is easy, landing is hard" - Delta-07

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
OK, I have patched mission 37 on Knossos.  Thank you for posting your issues here.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline CT27

Can the issue be fixed for non-Knossos as well?

Offline Admiral Nelson

I am traveling presently without access to my home PC, so not for some time. Best to just use knossos.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

You can download manually from Knossos:

https://fsnebula.org/mod/Wing_Commander_Saga

The fix should be in there, don't know which file though.

Probably hermes_core.

Offline Bobun

Hi guys,
Just wanted to signal you another landing issue on mission "Hyperion 3". At the end of the mission, i cannot land on the Hermes.

Game version: 0.9.2

I deleted the hermes_core and tried your fix at https://fsnebula.org/mod/Wing_Commander_Saga; but still cannot land.

I will wait for your fix on Knossos.

PS: Great job on this mod, a really good game with super music tracks.

Offline Admiral Nelson

I've fixed the landing issue in mission 39; the fix is available through Knossos.  Please let me know if you find any other issues.

Offline CT27

Out of curiosity:

I have this installed 'regularly' (not Knossos) but as I understand it I can get Knossos files through here (https://fsnebula.org/mod/Wing_Commander_Saga).  Do you remember which of those files the fix you just mentioned was in?

Offline Admiral Nelson

Core.

Offline CT27

Thank you.

Offline Bobun

Ok just finished the mission 39 (Hyperion 3) and was able to land! great job! all works fine.
I'll keep you update if i find any other landing bugs in future missions.

Thanks again for the patch. :yes:

Offline Bobun

well i passed the landing issue described bellow in being in godmod when i had to land on the Hermes (to avoid being killed by the dreadnough on landing approach). So like that "Hyperion 5" no more an issue, and works.

well another landing bug on mission "Hyperion 5". But this one is odd :

so the mission finishes and im heading to land on the Hermes. Im just behind the Hermes and the landing video starts (so at this point things look normal). But then, on the video i'm not anymore behind the Hermes but just under the Big Kilrathi capship in a landing approach, with the Hermes many many far away.
And it stays like that until either i die (cause im under its heavy fire) or until eternity (if i use godmod to pass the capship and time acceleration). Escape buttom just propose me to restart, leave...and cannot be used to skip the video.

It's like i was just behind the Hermes and then on landing approach very far away from the Hermes...odd

game version: 0.9.3
Sorry for the bad news.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:10:54 am by Bobun »

Offline Bobun

Hi guys, just passing the word on another landing bug:

Freya 5 same issue...cannot land at the end of the mission. I tried to enter in its flight bay but it doesn't work or end the mission.

Just for info for other players if you encountered this, sometimes it could seem you cant land cause there is no landing video on the Hermes approach. But actually you can if you enter the flight bay of the Hermes until you arrived at the middle of flight deck. It's the case for one Freya mission for example (mission 2 i guess...).

Offline Admiral Nelson

OK, fixed Freya 5 landing.  Fixed a small glicth with the Kilrathi Ace in the same mission.  Finally, set protect ship on the player during the landing sequence in Hyperion 5.  Update available on Knossos as 0.9.4.

Offline Bobun

job well done mate!  :)
Checked all missions till the end and no more landing issues.

do you think we will see one day a Wing Commander 3 campaign on Freespace engine (my prefer one) like Wing Commander Saga? Will be a dream come true to play like in the old time but with improved graphics.

Anyway, thank you for all your updates  :cool:

PS: by the way, after such a masterpiece of work, have you ever think of making a making-off of your mod? like showing us how you made things, built stories, all that stuff that make this mod so cool. I really liked the characters (So much laugh with Avatar...).
I was thinking of it and im sure it could be cool for everyone. I always love seeing making off after a great movie, so why not doing such things with great mods like this one?...think of it, mate.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 06:36:44 pm by Bobun »

I've gotten to Cairo 4, mission 40 and after killing all cap ships and all fighters the "Destroy Kilrathi Fighters" objective will not complete. Combat music comes to an end but combat chatter continues, no enemies are present and no allies are chasing anything but the mission refuses to end.

Unable to proceed after multiple attempts.

Edit: Well I left the game running for 10-15 minutes longer and it just randomly completed, so not sure if there is some trigger being delayed or not firing at all. At least I can proceed.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 03:14:54 pm by Chaotic Entropy »

Offline Admiral Nelson

job well done mate!  :)
Checked all missions till the end and no more landing issues.

do you think we will see one day a Wing Commander 3 campaign on Freespace engine (my prefer one) like Wing Commander Saga? Will be a dream come true to play like in the old time but with improved graphics.

Anyway, thank you for all your updates  :cool:

PS: by the way, after such a masterpiece of work, have you ever think of making a making-off of your mod? like showing us how you made things, built stories, all that stuff that make this mod so cool. I really liked the characters (So much laugh with Avatar...).
I was thinking of it and im sure it could be cool for everyone. I always love seeing making off after a great movie, so why not doing such things with great mods like this one?...think of it, mate.
Cheers!

I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Something which may not be clear is that WC Saga originally came out in 2012.  They used a custom build of the FSO engine so that they could get the features they wanted in the timeframe they wanted.  That custom build has remained unchanged since 2012.  What I did was to port the original TC to the current FSO engine so that it could benefit from the many improvements to the engine since then, as well as to make it available to non-Windows users, make multiplayer available and so forth.  Thus a "making of" story would require that original mod team to return - I was not part of that team.

Did you try the WCIV demo?  That is an example of what WC could look like in FSO.

I've gotten to Cairo 4, mission 40 and after killing all cap ships and all fighters the "Destroy Kilrathi Fighters" objective will not complete. Combat music comes to an end but combat chatter continues, no enemies are present and no allies are chasing anything but the mission refuses to end.

Unable to proceed after multiple attempts.

Edit: Well I left the game running for 10-15 minutes longer and it just randomly completed, so not sure if there is some trigger being delayed or not firing at all. At least I can proceed.

Did you mean Cairo 4 or mission 40?  Cairo 4 is mission 37.  I tried it a few times and could not reproduce this bug.

WCSaga's FRED Release came with the Orsini Missions from WC3 as sample.
https://wcsaga.com/index.php/rs-downloads/download.html?path=tools%252FFRED.zip
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline Admiral Nelson

Hm -- I completely missed those WC3 demo missions.  It should not take long to port those over to the knossos version as well.  Thanks for the heads up.