Author Topic: New player having some trouble  (Read 2568 times)

New player having some trouble
Hi all-

New player here with some questions/issues I can't figure out.

I've just downloaded FS2 (from GOG) along with the MediaVP and FSO mods through Knossos (0.11.2) and have two problems I was hoping the community could help me with.

1. I don't have the option to "Play" FSO - I can only select "Play" on MediaVP or the Retail. Does that mean my install is corrupt or is FSO already baked into the retail version?

2. I can't for the love of me get my PS3 controller to work with the upgraded mods/through Knossos. If I launch via GOG the gamepad works well enough (missing functionality on some keys). What might be affecting the controller?

3. (BONUS POINTS, as this is somewhat unrelated) GlovePIE doesn't work at all with the PS3 controller. I'd prefer it did, so I can get all the buttons to serve a function since I know this should be a M+K or Joy+K game. I use the controller with SCPToolkit (and is recognized by games like Shadow of Mordor). Anyone getting a PS3 controller to be fully functional?

Many thanks!

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Re: New player having some trouble
First off,

:welcome:

Glad you could join us. Exit is in the upper right hand corner of your screen (just kidding, there is no exit). Stay out of Political Discussion and General Discussion (there lies madness), and keep using Knossos (seriously, it's the best thing).

I can only speak to the first issue, as I don't play with a controller (frankly I'm surprised the game is even playable that way).

You play using an SCP build on Knossos by selecting an FSO build within the settings of whatever mod you want to play. So, for example, if you want to play with all the visual enhancements of the MediaVPs, you go to the Details menu of the MediaVPs "mod," go to the "FSO settings" in the "Options" dropdown menu, and select the executable for the build you want. FSO doesn't "bake" into retail--it's a separate executable, not a patch for the retail executable.

The Retail FS2 "mod" behaves the same way, and could run on any executable, including FSO builds (although there's not much point without another mod of some kind unless you're just testing code, but you can do it).
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'd like to clarify that Knossos will essentially auto select the most recent build that the selected mod/game is compatible with. You never "play" FSO. Choose a mod or retail and click Play. Knossos will do the rest to make sure you are using the most updated build. If you want to use cutting edge builds, in the settings you can choose to allow Knossos to select Nightlies. Note that these builds often come with bugs or other issues.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I think there's a setting within Knossos that lets you select a joystick. Look at the Settings menu.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

@Ryhmes: thank you on all fronts! I will follow your steps later today and report back if i have trouble.

@mjn.mixael: Thank you - it seems to streamline @Rhymes steps if I wanted to play MediaVP for example, right?

@Galemp: will give it a go. I also posted in reddit and someone let me know the controller codes change from retail to MediaVP and I need to either fix a string in the config file (any idea where I could find that?) or update Knossos - to my understanding I am using the latest built already though.

in all cases, I'll do some poking around and report back later today!

Cheers,
Matt

EDITS: I have been able to launch MediaVP by running Knossos as administrator.

I am getting warmer on the controller support. Can anyone lend a hand? The below was found out after selecting "No Joystick" under Knossos settings.

- Using GlovePIE in non-retail FS2, the dual sticks aren't operating separately from one another (eg, I have left stick mapped to thrusters, right for mouse control) and both sticks are doing mouse control
- Using Glove PIE in retail FS2, the dual sticks operate as expected, but now the triggers on the ps3 controller (set up to be IDed as a 360 controller) don't work.

What's going on here?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:41:09 pm by sixstringedmatt »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Can you use something like vJoy to map the PS3 controller to a new "virtual" joystick, and use that?  (should be a link in my signature, something like "use vJoy / xPadder" or something like that).  I *think* you might  be able to use GlovePIE + vJoy to the same effect, not quite sure what GlovePIE's exact
 functionality is but it sounds sort of like xPadder.  Worth a shot, anyways.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Looks like most of your questions have been answered already.

I have been able to launch MediaVP by running Knossos as administrator.
You earlier said that you selected C:\Program Files (x86)\FreespaceOpen as your data folder in Knossos. This is the reason you have to run Knossos as admin. If you select another folder outside of program files, you should be able to run it normally (which will prevent further problems during updates).

Regarding GlovePIE: Can you run a debug build (click the dropdown button on the MediaVPs and select Fast Debug) and upload the log? I'm wondering which input devices FSO is detecting and the log should tell us more about that.

Thanks for the additional questions and suggestions all! I'll try to get to this today or tomorrow- things have been crazy lately.

I did also find a good deal on a Logitech F310 and should receive it Thursday. With dinput, xinput, and it's own drivers and profiles I'm hoping this will resolve the controller issue if the above doesn't.

Fully functional with the Logitech F310! Dinput mode with the Logitech profiler works wonders. Just need to adjust my right stick sensitivity for more accurate flying.

Business trip this week but all free this wrekend- excited to play through FS2! May start with FS1 through Knossos.

@ngld- no need for the log now. I sincerely appreciated the offer ro review it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:04:30 pm by sixstringedmatt »