Author Topic: Yo what the ****!  (Read 5734 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Rahu crew behavior is an example of outright physical violence among Shivan organisms. The crew selects target members, who are attacked, dismembered, and integrated with components from other dismembered targets. After a convalescence period, the resulting novel phenotypes return to default crew behavior. A small fraction of crew organisms are repeatedly targeted, creating chimeric specimens with multiple limbs and convulsive, maladaptive mass. Target selection seems to crawl along a Markov-like similarity selection from past targets.

That's ****ed up!

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Is this an Aftermath reference?
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline emark4

Rahu crew behavior is an example of outright physical violence among Shivan organisms. The crew selects target members, who are attacked, dismembered, and integrated with components from other dismembered targets. After a convalescence period, the resulting novel phenotypes return to default crew behavior. A small fraction of crew organisms are repeatedly targeted, creating chimeric specimens with multiple limbs and convulsive, maladaptive mass. Target selection seems to crawl along a Markov-like similarity selection from past targets.

That's ****ed up!

Are you teasing something?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It's his own writing from BP's tech room entries for Shivan ships.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Working on a gas miner must be boring as hell if they Shivans are constantly playing Lego with each other.

Offline emark4

It's his own writing from BP's tech room entries for Shivan ships.

Interesting

Offline starlord

Given the diversity of the shivan organisms described in the BP tech entry, I actually wonder if the shivan organisms encountered in FS1 on that azrael were given a particular name...

Offline Doko

After every sucessfull cull the shivans celebrate with a tournament of a different sport to promote diversity and not become too focused on combat traits that could be exploited.

Every ship type used in the cull is required to provide a specimen for this task to battle it out against its peers and the other ships in the playoffs. The champion gets to keep its ship configuration for the next cull and become the envy of all other organisms.  Tired of the dragons winning the contest the rahu's have come up with a secret plan to put and end to their reign, codename SLEEP, Shivan Limb Enhancement and Exchange Program.

So the reason behind the actions of Shivans (genocide, destroying stars) is because they want everyone in the universe to be part of the Great Tournament, but the others just don't get the rules and are being sacrificed after their loss? Who knew that they are just after entertainment...

This brutal violence among each other and creating chimeras is one of the ends of Universal Truth 2. at first I thought that CASSANDRA must be a speciman from the Rahu crew. But the ships were not sighted at the time of The Great War.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I think the most favorable theory is that this one of UT2's outcomes is: Laporte fails and Ken is no more able to hide her from the rest of Nagari network, which makes her extremely susceptible to the influence of Great Darkness, so Shivans intervene in order to avoid our Universe being infested by it. So they just roflstomp Laporte's mind, possibly replacing some sections with behavioral footprints stored in Rahu-based Shivan bodies, and then they cut the connection. Laporte goes all out S.L.E.E.P. with Masyaf's crew (probably with insane efficiency), but since human bodies tend to die during such... operations, she effectively murders most of the Fedayeen, presumably destroying/deactivating CASSANDRA in the process. Great Darkness infestation avoided, no more humans connected to Nagari, the equipement used for the connection isn't functional anymore, so there isn't any risk of a similar occurence, Ken probably disappears because his reason to exist is no more, a cull is ordered ect.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Snarks

Hm, so does this apply on the molecular and macro levels as well? I'm imagining a bunch of Cain class cruisers ramming into each other and somehow getting a Ravana in the process.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I mean if I recall Vassago's Dirge is considered canon in the BP lore, so in principle that could more or less happen (in reference to the black ash stuff).

I mean if I recall Vassago's Dirge is considered canon in the BP lore, so in principle that could more or less happen (in reference to the black ash stuff).
I don't know that much about BPs lore, but that Black Ash were nanomachines IIRC, and Battuta had a rather intense discussion with Mobius when the latter wanted to implement that into INFA, so I wouldn't think so.

Offline -Sara-

Wouldn't one expect a war machine as massive and demanding as that of the Shivans to employ Juggernaut sized gas miners rather than the humble Rahu? That's to say, ofcourse there may be larger variants we haven't seen yet because the Shivans probably have massive resource mining operations tucked away safely where nothing can disturb them, or large gas mining ships may suffer inherent instability issues making their use inefficient, who knows.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

It would be nice if Terran ships got some more updated lore and stories to go with their tech entries. Obviously there is a clear Vasudan bias. ;) Pages of tech entries on intricate Vasudan designs, and a few sentences on, "This ship, it's good" or "This ship, it sucks" for the Terrans.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Wouldn't one expect a war machine as massive and demanding as that of the Shivans to employ Juggernaut sized gas miners rather than the humble Rahu? That's to say, ofcourse there may be larger variants we haven't seen yet because the Shivans probably have massive resource mining operations tucked away safely where nothing can disturb them, or large gas mining ships may suffer inherent instability issues making their use inefficient, who knows.

Sathangases

Sathangases
I'd imagine that large Shivan ships could directly take fuel from surrounding nebulas without further miners.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
It would be nice if Terran ships got some more updated lore and stories to go with their tech entries. Obviously there is a clear Vasudan bias. ;) Pages of tech entries on intricate Vasudan designs, and a few sentences on, "This ship, it's good" or "This ship, it sucks" for the Terrans.

What? While old Terran designs didn't get a lot of lore stuff, all of the TEI vessels did get extensive descriptions. Really extensive, IIRC Battuta ran into a description size limit when he got to writing stuff on the Erebus.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Sure, and those are great! But I love the older ships as well. The V-ships, even the old ones, got substantial updates. Compare the Seraph with the Herc II entry, or the Sobek with the Deimos.

Look, I'm a lore nerd okay?