Author Topic: Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?  (Read 20744 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?
From my perspective as a common person, given that IP is basically private property owned by the creator(s) until it is sold/licenced/passed on to another person or group (where legal durastiction allows) the only public way to see who has what is on anual statements if the group lists IP in there, or in media reports.  I dont think there is any legal issue in directly requesting from the suspected owner if they still hold the rights to the IP, but at the same time I do not think there are any legal guidelines on how any responce to such a request if a responce is made at all.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline -Sara-

Re: Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?
Yea I was afraid of that.

edit: bit more of info. I checked on the site Trademarkia on their options to buy trademark names. Surprise, surprise, their attorney is Ray Abhyanker, who also filed the request for the Freespace trademark. So it might be nothing more than Stompy Bot trying to acquire all kinds of trademarks, Freespace included through a web-based trademark attorney. I guess this might end with a bark from Interplay or whoever owns the trademark. It seems that for a mere 159 dollar, you can still file ownership of DESCENT: FREESPACE THE GREAT WAR. That smells a bit fishy, so we'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:03:29 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Drop Kotaku a note and have them try to interview Stompy bot.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yea I was afraid of that.

edit: bit more of info. I checked on the site Trademarkia on their options to buy trademark names. Surprise, surprise, their attorney is Ray Abhyanker, who also filed the request for the Freespace trademark. So it might be nothing more than Stompy Bot trying to acquire all kinds of trademarks, Freespace included through a web-based trademark attorney. I guess this might end with a bark from Interplay or whoever owns the trademark. It seems that for a mere 159 dollar, you can still file ownership of DESCENT: FREESPACE THE GREAT WAR. That smells a bit fishy, so we'll see what happens.

The thing with trademarks is, you have to use them or lose them. If you register one, but then don't use it for a couple years (or even use it a few times and then let it rest) they are automatically cancelled. Another company is then free to register that trademark again, and the original registrator has no legal right to the name. There may be moral implications, but since when have companies cared about morality?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline -Sara-

The thing with trademarks is, you have to use them or lose them. If you register one, but then don't use it for a couple years (or even use it a few times and then let it rest) they are automatically cancelled. Another company is then free to register that trademark again, and the original registrator has no legal right to the name. There may be moral implications, but since when have companies cared about morality?

What I do know is that you have to actually give an argument of proof that you will use or apply that trademark. When trying to order one that comes up as soon as you choose a word to have trademarked. But I guess any 'promise' of using the trademark suffices.

Drop Kotaku a note and have them try to interview Stompy bot.

I'm not that impressed with Kotaku's reviews and generic write-ups. I'm not sure though if their journalism or investigation are any better.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Freespace 3 = Halo 4, as far as I'm concerned. I'll just boycott it if it happens.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Um, I'm pretty sure the latter is coming out soon.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Well the purpose of my statement was that I'm boycotting them. Irrelevant of if they are being released.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

yup and not long before COD-BO2 if the advertising in Game Station is to be belived.  As for boycotting them who cares? for me any game is bought on a if they are being well recieved after launch I might look into getting them, in the case of Halo 4 it will also be after the pricing reaches sain levels, haters have to jump on band waggons though so I wont be drawn into "discussion" on that fact and I dont care if company X is evil, if they are giving me a good gaming experience and I am not being hurt in the process I dont care what they are doing/did to/in that other game.
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
moot, not mute, mute = quiet, moot = irrelevant

sane = makes logical sense

wagons

Spelling Nazi, at your service!  :P

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

wagons

that was 11 posts ago lol

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
still glad he posted about it; that drives me nuts too.  i just didn't want to be the one to post about it. :P
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Halo 4 looks awesome, hth

shhh you're disturbing the pc master race's feelings of superiority
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Meh, they deserve to be disturbed.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The thing with trademarks is, you have to use them or lose them. If you register one, but then don't use it for a couple years (or even use it a few times and then let it rest) they are automatically cancelled.

That was what happened to Descent, wasn't it? The trademark for it lapsed in 2002, but Interplay re-registered it in 2008.

When did Batutta become someone else?

When did he ever become someone else? :confused:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
When did Batutta become someone else?

When did he ever become someone else? :confused:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=82363.0

Also, your custom title proves to be accurate again :P
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam

yup and not long before COD-BO2 if the advertising in Game Station is to be belived.  As for boycotting them who cares? for me any game is bought on a if they are being well recieved after launch I might look into getting them, in the case of Halo 4 it will also be after the pricing reaches sain levels, haters have to jump on band waggons though so I wont be drawn into "discussion" on that fact and I dont care if company X is evil, if they are giving me a good gaming experience and I am not being hurt in the process I dont care what they are doing/did to/in that other game.

wagons

You missed one...................I believe! :P
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline wistler

If you own a trademark you both have to trade under it and protect it or else you loose it.
For instance Taito Corp owns the rights to Space Invaders. They are trying to stamp down on people putting space invaders monsters on clothing and stuff. If they aren't seen to be actively protecting there copyright they loose it.

It also seems silly to buy the rights to Freespace and then make a game unrelated to it. That would just cause confusion amongst gaming fans. You would just call your game a different name otherwise.

I'd be happy to see a new FS game considering its good, whether it be a direct tie-in or a reboot/spiritual successor.

Offline Luis Dias

New Freespace will be all about Brahmans and Vishnans, with no Shivans, Terrans or Vasudans in sight. IP issues you know.