Author Topic: Saitek X-56 Rhino Announced  (Read 6324 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Saitek X-56 Rhino Announced
http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x56.html

Almost identical to the X-55 except for RGB lighting and an analog stick where Fire C used to be. I kinda want it, but at the same time I prefer having a button at the resting thumb position instead of a stick. I would have preferred it to be a HAT, too.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: Saitek X-56 Rhino Announced
Hugh, I wonder why some people feel all these lights are necessary, they only take money from more important things like construction quality.
Also, there is already an analog stick on the throttle, why put one on the stick as well and in that position?
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Hugh, I wonder why some people feel all these lights are necessary, they only take money from more important things like construction quality.
Also, there is already an analog stick on the throttle, why put one on the stick as well and in that position?

The system was redesigned for 6DOF gameplay. If that were the case, though, they could have swapped out one of the buttons on the back of the throttle to be a maneuvering HAT instead of putting it on the stick.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

The system was redesigned for 6DOF gameplay. If that were the case, though, they could have swapped out one of the buttons on the back of the throttle to be a maneuvering HAT instead of putting it on the stick.
It's almost like they saw that the CH Pro Throttle selling out on amazon during Christmas because of elite players and said to themselves:
"hey, they are selling it because of the analog stick? How can we do better?"
"By adding another in a place where people either expect a simple button or a hat switch of course! And LED lights! LOTS of them!"
"Genius!"
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Curious: Would those anolog sticks work with the strafing functionality of FS2?

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Well I think it looks cool at least.  At it looks like they abandoned that ridiculous immobile pressure sensing stick concept.  But yeah, I'm not thinking removing a button for an analog stick was a good move.  Hard to judge the layout from that one picture though.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well I think it looks cool at least.  At it looks like they abandoned that ridiculous immobile pressure sensing stick concept.  But yeah, I'm not thinking removing a button for an analog stick was a good move.  Hard to judge the layout from that one picture though.

According to MCZRich on /r/hotas, who speaks as if he's part of the design team, says that the sticks are like the stick buttons on a gamepad.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/4cpv6m/saitek_x56_pro/

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

According to MCZRich on /r/hotas, who speaks as if he's part of the design team, says that the sticks are like the stick buttons on a gamepad.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/4cpv6m/saitek_x56_pro/

Like the clicky ministick on the CH pro Throttle then, I wonder about the precision of these ones as the CH one needs a deadzone to work properly and they usually do the best stuff they can.

Offline MikeRoz

Its placement there means that you can't maneuver on any axes bound to that stick and use any of the thumb buttons on the back of the stick at the same time. I used to bind the 4-way hat there on my CH Fighterstick to axes - no more.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Its placement there means that you can't maneuver on any axes bound to that stick and use any of the thumb buttons on the back of the stick at the same time. I used to bind the 4-way hat there on my CH Fighterstick to axes - no more.

Exactly, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people would use it as an additional hat switch regardless, delegating thrusters to the one on the throttle.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It looks really cool, but I think that I'd still prefer CH. The thumbstick looks rather out of place (I rarely use the hat in there on my Fighterstick, though in FS it's a good spot for shield management, at least). I have no needs for fancy lights and I use the throttle's thumbstick for 6-DOF gameplay anyway.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
CH would totally get all of my money if they'd just release a stick with a twist axis.  I know it doesn't fit their full-industrial-realism business model, but I've been using twist since Microsoft got it oh-so-right 20+ years ago, and I consider it utterly indispensable.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
CH would totally get all of my money if they'd just release a stick with a twist axis.  I know it doesn't fit their full-industrial-realism business model, but I've been using twist since Microsoft got it oh-so-right 20+ years ago, and I consider it utterly indispensable.

Sidewinder for the win! High five!

Offline MikeRoz

I much prefer not to use twist. Axis bleed used to drive me nuts. I wish CH's pedals weren't so loud, but otherwise I can't complain and find them much more ergonomic.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'll never use a non-twist stick again.  BTW, when my X52 was working, I used to use the finger hat on the throttle for shield management.  When I played TBP, I used it for lateral and vertical thruster control.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I'll never use a non-twist stick again.  BTW, when my X52 was working, I used to use the finger hat on the throttle for shield management.  When I played TBP, I used it for lateral and vertical thruster control.

I use mine for tapping the accelerate and decelerate buttons. the POV2 HAT is what I use for shields. Though in Diaspora it's mapped more like you would a military flight stick and the HATs have actual functions.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I never used a twist-stick in my life, until now the only spacesim that would benefit from it is Elite: Dangerous (at least form the ones I've tried) because yaw behaves more like in a real aircraft in that game and even then I managed in the combat demo by assigning yaw to two of the buttons in front of the throttle, and before buying CH the last joystick I bought was from a time when cheap 4-buttons ones rarely had twist.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
You've obviously never played the old Mechwarrior games, then. :P Twist sticks are a must in games like those.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Also Descent, and I'd certainly never play FS without one.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I do miss the twist of my old Cyborg to the rudder rocker of the x45.  It's acceptable though.  I do not consider requiring pedals as an additional device in order to obtain the Rx (or is it Ry? whatever.) axis acceptable.
I like to stare at the sun.