Author Topic: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 8 - "The Countdown..."  (Read 18218 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
3.6.9 Release Candidate 8 - "The Countdown..."
Here it is, the last build before 3.6.9 final, so be sure and test it well... and quickly. :)

Build for:
Windows

And:
Source Tarball

And don't forget these if you haven't already gotten them:
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/mediavp/mp-710_adveffects.rar
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/mediavp/mp-710_effects.rar
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/mediavp/mp-710_models.rar

Offline Dysko

Re: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 8 - "The Countdown..."
 :nervous:
I'm sorry, but I have already a problem: when I go in the mission simulator, the game starts switching between the mission simulator screen and the tech room screen. I've tried pressing "Esc", "Enter"... The only thing I can do to resolve the situation is open the Task Manager and shut down the game manually. It does that with every mod.

I'd have reported this in Mantis, but for some strange reasons my Mantis account has been removed.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I'm sorry, but I have already a problem: when I go in the mission simulator, the game starts switching between the mission simulator screen and the tech room screen. I've tried pressing "Esc", "Enter"... The only thing I can do to resolve the situation is open the Task Manager and shut down the game manually. It does that with every mod.
Huh?  You mean when the simroom popup comes up when the missions are being read?  Are you using D3D or OGL, fullscreen/windowed?

Offline Dysko

I'm using OpenGL with fullscreen.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
But it's that popup, correct?  It should only last a few seconds so you shouldn't ever have to break out of it.

Flipping between the old and current screen as a background is an old bug though, and I haven't been able to fix it 100% (works in windowed but not fullscreen, on ATI but NVIDIA, in Linux but not Windows, and every option in between).  It's purely cosmetic though, and probably already in Mantis.

Offline Dysko

But it's that popup, correct?  It should only last a few seconds so you shouldn't ever have to break out of it.

Flipping between the old and current screen as a background is an old bug though, and I haven't been able to fix it 100% (works in windowed but not fullscreen, on ATI but NVIDIA, in Linux but not Windows, and every option in between).  It's purely cosmetic though, and probably already in Mantis.
No, it's not that problem. It's difficult to describe by words. I tried to capture a video of it to show what happens, and the situation became extremely strange: while I was capturing the video, everything worked fine :mad:, so I minimized FS2 to deactivate FRAPS. When I reopened FS2, it continued switching between minimized and mission simulator screen. Also this time, I could only open the Task Manager to shut down FS2.

The original problem was: I selected the Mission Simulator in the tech room, and instead of seeing the "Reading mission XXX.fs2" (or whatever it is) pop-up, I saw briefly an empty mission list, then it switched back to the tech room and then back again to an empty mission list (it is so quickly that it does that about 10 times per second). It continued doing so until I shut down the game.

That was the better I could explain. I hope you understood. :)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
The original problem was: I selected the Mission Simulator in the tech room, and instead of seeing the "Reading mission XXX.fs2" (or whatever it is) pop-up, I saw briefly an empty mission list, then it switched back to the tech room and then back again to an empty mission list (it is so quickly that it does that about 10 times per second). It continued doing so until I shut down the game.
Yeah, that's the same problem that I'm thinking of, but the popup should be visible over the mission list while it's reading missions.  It also shouldn't force you to kill the game to get out of it, since the popup will go away after a few seconds.  Either way, I can't get it to mess up like that, and none of that menu code has changed since RC6 as far as I know.

Get rid of everything except for the retail VPs, and make sure that you don't have any missions in data/missions/, and try again.  It may actually be some bad data which is causing it (freaky as that may be, it is possible).

Unless someone else reports this same problem though, a serious look into the issue will have to wait until after 3.6.9 is released.

Offline Dysko

Get rid of everything except for the retail VPs, and make sure that you don't have any missions in data/missions/, and try again.  It may actually be some bad data which is causing it (freaky as that may be, it is possible).
Neither doing this helps. :(
I'll continue to use 3.6.9 RC7.9X until the release of the official 3.6.9. Anyway, thank you!

Offline Mosef

Hi,

I have a problem with SCP and the Freespace2 campaign.
I have installed the newest RC (RC8) with all VPs and FS1-port.
I've played the FS1-campaign and Silent Threat without any problems, but then I wanted to play the FS2-campaign I'm getting errors.
I tried it with a new pilot, but after the 3 training lessons I'm getting always 4 errors.
I've attached screenshots of them.

btw: I had these problems also with the RC7.9x. Also I tried the Launcher with and without any features.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Shade

You didn't happen to install the port to your main FS2 directory instead of using a mod directory, did you? Those errors look suspiciously like and out-of-place table from some mod or other. At least if it's that, it's an easy fix - Just move it to a mod directory instead :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Mosef

Ok, I think that was the problem. I should have removed the fs1-port earlier by myself... ::)
Not it works!
Thank you!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You probably didn't need to remove the port. Was the port in it's own folder or slapped down in the main Freespace2 folder? Cause if it was the first one all you had to do was go into the launcher and change your selected mod to mediavps.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'll continue to use 3.6.9 RC7.9X until the release of the official 3.6.9.
Well, keep in mind that RC8 will probably be identical to the official 3.6.9...

alt+tabbing back into the game under OGL on an WinXP rig with Radeon x800 causes garbled images ingame until I do esc+enter, then the screen is ok again. Under interface I need to just hit enter a few times to get to the next interface screen, if I don't, the screen stays totally black.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
alt+tabbing back into the game under OGL on an WinXP rig with Radeon x800 causes garbled images ingame until I do esc+enter, then the screen is ok again. Under interface I need to just hit enter a few times to get to the next interface screen, if I don't, the screen stays totally black.
Don't ALT-TAB, it's known to not work very well.  It will be made better for 3.7, but for now you are pretty much on you own if you try it. :)

Offline neoterran

It would be nice for the official builds to be compiled with full voice synthesis and voice recognition support.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Ok, fair enough, just thought I'd report everything I spotted. The rest of the stuff seems to be working fine, though.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I have it.

The campaign list still has that bug...

I'm not having problems like DySkO, but I want to use the new build of FRED. Can I use RC8 FRED Open with the RC7 build?

Is there an ETA for the release of 3.7? As you know we are interested on the unlimited Species tbl...

neoterran:what do you mean? This build has the voice implemented...

I have opened FRED RC8. The ships names font colour is different...now it's dark.
I placed a Mjolnir a few dozen metres away from the player, and both the camera coords and the coords of the Mjolnir displayed near its name became white and not readable. Though now it's ok, I want to know if this problem is serious or not.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Don't ALT-TAB, it's known to not work very well.  It will be made better for 3.7, but for now you are pretty much on you own if you try it. :)

It actually seems to have gotten worse over time, although it may have more to do with changing video card drivers than anything else. I used to do it all the time on an old 6800GT a little over a year ago, the 7800s couldn't do it at all (instant BSOD) and on an X1900, it works about half of the time and does what kasperl described at other times.

Which drivers are you using? I was using the Omega drivers, but was getting ATIogl crashes. I just switched to the Ngo drivers. They are current, and come with advanced tray tools which expose some amazing features I've never seen before. I'm not crashing anymore, but my fingers are crossed.