Author Topic: HEAD CVS Build - 28/02/07  (Read 11596 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
HEAD CVS Build - 28/02/07
Wanderer asked me for a more recent HEAD build than he was using and I noticed it had been a while since we had one posted so here it is.

http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/karajorma/FS2_Open_HEAD_CVS_20070228.7z

As usual with HEAD builds this isn't for newbies. You should only be using this if you're willing to do some work yourself to troubleshoot your problems before you come running for help. You should also be willing to report real bugs in Mantis.

Everyone else can stick to 3.6.9 as we went to a lot of trouble making it for precisely that reason.

WARNING: This build will corrupt your pilot files!!  Do not use pilots with this build and other builds!!  - taylor
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:59:16 pm by taylor »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: HEAD CVS Build - 28/02/07
Works fine for me (for now).

Wepon recharge rate and shield recharge rate also work :D
B.t.w. - are they affected by ETS settings?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
il give it a go when i get back to scripting. focusing on some modeling lately.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I didn't really put it up for testing (although people are welcome to do so). I put it up cause Wanderer wanted a recent HEAD build and I don't think it fair to put up builds privately when there are other people who need them. :)

Noob question: Wats a HEAD Build?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
If you need ask that then you do not need the build :P...

It refers to a executable compiled using files from the FSOpen's CVS code's HEAD branch. HEAD branch is the one where all the new features will be added... and bugs. Basically if you do not need the features then do not use these builds. Only modders who actually need those should use HEAD branch builds while casual gamers and modders should stick to much more stable 369 branch builds.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The FRED build included with this set, as well as one of Taylor's XT builds from the day before, appear to display no ship info.  Where you usually see the name of the ship and the short name of the class, and co-ordinates if you enable them, you just get nothing.  Shall I Mantis this?

On the upside, you no longer get the continuous U.R.A. Moron naming that I'd seen on previous HEAD builds.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah. I'd noticed that. Mantis it.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Mantis isn't working for me right now, so I don't know if that FRED bug has been filed yet or not.  I did look into it quickly, and there is some issue with the fonts.  I don't have the ability to debug Windows apps very easily though, so I'm not even going to bother with it.  Someone just needs to set a watch point on "Fonts[0].num_chars", and figure out when it's getting reset to 0.  Possibly just a memory overwrite somewhere.

I assume that my X build previous to this one didn't have the error though, correct?  If not then it's not likely one of my changes, since nothing from the newest build has been added to either branch in CVS.  If my last X build did have the same problem then it might have been caused by me, since I'm amazingly good at creating freakish array boundry issues.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Your last build (January 24) works fine. It's only this new one that has the problem.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Your last build (January 24) works fine. It's only this new one that has the problem.
My last build was from the 12th.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I guess I hadn't seen that one. In any case, the ship info works fine in that too.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
No problems with your February 12th XT build, Taylor.

If you need ask that then you do not need the build :P...

Well, I do use CVS and such builds regurlary, But I never knew what a HEAD Build is... but because I now its very close to the edge... downloading and testing... at weekend! (yeah, thats the only time i can play FS2.... stupid parents...

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Added a warning to the top post that this build will corrupt your pilot files.  This was only just discovered though, and wasn't intentional.  If you use any CVS HEAD build from the 10th or newer, then DO NOT use that pilot with any other builds.  Any pilot used with these builds should be considered garbage, should not be used with older bulids, and the files will not work properly once we fix this problem.

(NOTE:  My "X" builds are based on the stable CVS branch, and do not suffer from this problem.  If you have only used one of those then you are safe.)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
What if we've only used the FRED builds of this?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
What if we've only used the FRED builds of this?
You should be ok in that case.  It will only really be an issue if you play a normal game.

The second you get past the initial pilot select screen though, that pilot is permanently corrupted.  So long as you don't load a particular pilot with these HEAD builds, everything will be ok and all other pilots will be safe to use in regular builds.

Why cant we activate the JPG-Tga flag? is it default now?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Why cant we activate the JPG-Tga flag? is it default now?
Yeah, it's default now.  DDS textures will try to load first though, then TGA -> JPG -> PCX.  Loading is done by location priority now, so it will just get the best match from the first directory that it finds a valid format.  There are a couple of bugs in the loading code which messes up on a couple of specific places (support ships, Herc LOD1), but those bugs have already been fixed, just not added to CVS yet (been too sick, right now I'm just trying to avoid puking all over my keyboard  :sigh:).

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Kinda odd... i have been using same pilots with this build and fs2_open_3_6_9-Xt_0227.exe build without any problems.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light