Author Topic: I really, really miss Freespace  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I really, really miss Freespace
To clarify: the PCI-E slot on my mobo is busted and the onboard graphics just don't cut it (I can play Homeworld and that's about it). I so desperately want to play the updated WiH with its shiny new models and watch in awe at the glory of shadows on ye old freepsace engine. I didn't even get to finish The Antagonist before my slot died (****ing brilliant campaign btw).

I have a 800W power supply, harddrive, monitor, speakers etc. Basically everything except a working PCI-E slot. What I'm looing for is a decent mobo bundle for under £400. Is this viable? I know this is a small budget to work with, but I'm poor as **** atm.

Offline LHN91

Re: I really, really miss Freespace
If you can get just a motherboard, and don't need to buy a new CPU or RAM, and I'm reading you right and you mean 400 pounds (and I've got the conversion right), then you have the equivalent of 600-some US dollars to spend on a motherboard. Considering I'm a)Canadian, thus my prices are higher than the states, and b) that I've built full baseline gaming desktops for $600 CDN, you could probably get a high end gaming motherboard without any issue. I'm used to getting mid-line mobos for about $150 CDN

Offline Demitri

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-080-OE&groupid=43&catid=2053&subcat=2063

That's just one example and is under your budget. You can also add more memory etc. If you only need a new mobo then you can get a decent one for £150-ish.
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

If you really want to save money, a new motherboard of the same type would do the trick, if it's still found for sale.

Could you post the specs of your motherboard so we could take a look and possibly suggest a similar motherboard of it's type?   
This is of course a good moment to upgrade, I like Demitri's bundle suggestion as well, but if you prefer a cheaper solution the option might be there as well.

Most important is the socket type (Socket 775, 1155, 1156, AM2, AM2+, etc), the (full) name of the old motherboard would help as well.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I've had this setup since late 2008 and it's aged well before the slot died. The CPU is an Intel E8500 OC'ed to 3.9GHz. While it plays games moderately well I could tell it was starting to show its age so I will need a Mobo+CPU+RAM.

This board is an MSI P6NGM series (not sure which specific one), Socket 775. It doesn't allow any changes to voltage (except memory) so I wasn't able to achieve a higher clock on my CPU unfortunately. It's old and it's screwed, I would prefer something more modern tbh. That bundle looks ideal, I'm open to any other suggestions, thanks for the replies fellas.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Silent Threat: Reborn works on retail! :nervous:

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Well sure, but

I so desperately want to play the updated WiH with its shiny new models and watch in awe at the glory of shadows on ye old freepsace engine.

So yeah, not sure why you bring retail here.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I love STR so much I'm gonna go ahead and play it on retail while I wait for a new machine. :)

The GTI logo makes an excellent mobile background btw. ;)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Don't play it on retail unless you really have to. FSO will bring you moar FPS and better visuals, even with most of the features off.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Hey, is there a tag to make the sun in missions revert to the retail one? I can get 40 fps with onboard graphics while running mediavps, but whenever I aim directly at the sun it drops to 20fps...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
There's an option in launcher, "disable lightshafts". Tick this. That's what slowing you down.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Can't find that option. I looked at the command lines and there is a '-flightshaftsoff' tag, but that isn't recognised either. :(

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Graphics tab in launcher (make sure it's up to date), scroll down. Make sure you've got the latest RC build.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I have RC5 and the latest launcher, but the option still isn't there. Can you tell me what the command line is so I can slot it in with the tags please?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I've had this setup since late 2008 and it's aged well before the slot died. The CPU is an Intel E8500 OC'ed to 3.9GHz. While it plays games moderately well I could tell it was starting to show its age so I will need a Mobo+CPU+RAM.

This board is an MSI P6NGM series (not sure which specific one), Socket 775. It doesn't allow any changes to voltage (except memory) so I wasn't able to achieve a higher clock on my CPU unfortunately. It's old and it's screwed, I would prefer something more modern tbh. That bundle looks ideal, I'm open to any other suggestions, thanks for the replies fellas.

8 year's aint bad, about the same as mine a MSI KN8 Neo, though fingers crossed only a couple of blown PSUs so far.

Not sure where in the world you are but i did a quick ebay on the uk site and how is a MSI 915GLM-V for £13.99

edit

stick this on the end of a ebay url to get the search I used

Code: [Select]
/sch/PC-Components-/3667/i.html?Socket%2520Type=Socket%2520755%7C!&Product%2520Type=Motherboards%7CMotherboard%2520%2526%2520CPU%2520Bundles&LH_BIN=1&_trkparms=65%253A15%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_nkw=Socket%20775&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&_sc=1&_sop=15&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH
eg
Code: [Select]
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/PC-Components-/3667/i.html?Socket%2520Type=Socket%2520755%7C!&Product%2520Type=Motherboards%7CMotherboard%2520%2526%2520CPU%2520Bundles&LH_BIN=1&_trkparms=65%253A15%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_nkw=Socket%20775&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&_sc=1&_sop=15&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 05:27:32 am by headdie »
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Caught me too late already, I got a recommendation for this and went ahead and treated myself - http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/motherboardbundles/mbb-i5240a.html

I don't trust Ebay for electronics anyway. :P I already have an aftermarket cooler so I plan on OC'ing this baby and squeezing out as much as I can get out of her. ;)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Caught me too late already, I got a recommendation for this and went ahead and treated myself - http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/motherboardbundles/mbb-i5240a.html

I don't trust Ebay for electronics anyway. :P I already have an aftermarket cooler so I plan on OC'ing this baby and squeezing out as much as I can get out of her. ;)

Fair play, and good luck with the OC!
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Thanks for going to the trouble of searching on the UK ebay as well! Guess I won't need to disable lightshafts now.