Author Topic: Another MediaVPS 2014 crashing topic  (Read 3549 times)

Another MediaVPS 2014 crashing topic
Hello, fellow flying folk!

I'm also using MediaVPS 2014 with FS2_open 3.7.2 RC4 SSE, running at 1920x1080 32-bit with all settings set to high or equivalent. The previous version I used, 3.7.0 never crashed, but then again it couldn't run 2014 either. ;)

The game suddenly becomes jerky, usually when there's a lot of stuff going on, but not constantly jerky, just like a jerk every couple seconds (a very short freeze, then it lets go) and then it crashes to the desktop. The JAD mod crashed the same way.

My lawg file is attached. Thank you for looking and for being an awesome community that I'm happy to join. :)

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Another MediaVPS 2014 crashing topic
Code: [Select]
Found root pack 'C:\GOG Games\Freespace 2\MediaVPs_2014\MV_RadarIcons.vp' with a checksum of 0x00000000
It looks like your MV_RadarIcons.vp is corrupt. This is probably not related to your problem, given that it appears to be empty (and the VP is optional anyway):
Searching root pack 'C:\GOG Games\Freespace 2\MediaVPs_2014\MV_RadarIcons.vp' ... 0 files

Found root pack 'd:\tango1_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x4c25221e
Found root pack 'd:\tangoA_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x2e10c984
Found root pack 'd:\warble_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xd85c305d
Having the FS2 CD in the drive could cause some wierdness, but I'm also doubtful that it's related to your problem.

Beam couldn't find a good object model/type!! (0)
This is the last section of your log before it abruptly stops without recording an error; this debug message (which is prefaced with the comment "// this shouldn't happen too often") seems to indicate that a beam is trying to be fired at a target that doesn't exist. I'm not sure why this would be happening. Could you try a recent Nightly Build in case this problem is related to a bug that may have already been fixed since RC4 was released?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Sorry it's taken so long for me to report back. Also, I find it hilarious that you can tell I have the actual FS2 CD in the drive. I decided that was too much hassle, did a system restore, and bought the GOG version. Still, it's nice to have the big pretty manual (still can't get custom pilot/squad graphics to work, like the manual says you can) and it's awesome that the GOG version includes a scan of it.

Anyways, I have a sort of Michigan J. Frog situation going on here with the crashes. Whenever I try to get it to crash so I can try and get another log, it won't.... but whenever I think the problem has fixed itself and try to play the game like normal, *shoryuken* and I'm crashed. :mad:

However, I am using the nightly from the 10th, so that didn't seem to be the solution, alas. I'll try to get another log file soon, and thanks again for trying to help. :)

If I have a question about Voice Recognition, should I start another thread? Also, is there a place to make suggestions or a request? I wanted to ask about possibly adding some new commands (these: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=37643.msg880793#msg880793) and maybe glide/reverse thrust, if possible
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:35:41 pm by Billkwando »

I had a crash just when the Maelstrom was firing up its beam cannon, so I tried to replicate it with the debug, but the game actually crashed before I could get that far. Here's the log. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can get the beam error again. I'm using the newest NVidia drivers.

Thanks!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I had a crash just when the Maelstrom was firing up its beam cannon, so I tried to replicate it with the debug, but the game actually crashed before I could get that far. Here's the log.
ASSERTION: "shipnum >= 0 && shipnum < MAX_SHIPS" at hudsquadmsg.cpp:763
...Bwuh. What exactly were you doing when that error occurred? Had you just selected an item in the communications menu? If so, which one?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I can't remember which command it was. I thought it would be funny to tell Alpha 4 to depart before he died, and I had one wingman left. Oh you know what? I think I called for a rearm. I'll pay closer attention next time. I might've also given an order to all ships, when I only had 1. I'm always telling them to do crazy crap. Maybe I called for a ship that wasn't there anymore...

You see, I'm trying to get my voice commands working well, and I pick the Maelstrom mission because it gives me an opportunity to tell them to target a subsystem. The irony is that I always die, or the game crashes, before I can get that far. I've beaten the mission before, but that's not really the point. :lol:

This crash I got just from doing All fighters > Form on my wing... at the beginning of the mission (but after the radio guy was done talking).  No shenanigans. Thanks!