Author Topic: Modview Source Code  (Read 20254 times)

Offline Water

Re: Modview Source Code
Hmm. Are those craft publically available? If not, how far do I have to bump the limits?
Highest values I've seen so far.
#6007 Too many SUBJ chunks = 402
#6029 Too huge sub-model points = 24578
#6018 Too many docking points = 864

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Here are two examples of models that cannot be opened because of limits:

PVI Karnak (karnak.pof) in the FSPort mediavps (mv_fsport.vp) (Error #6029: Too huge submodel, too many points defined.)
Vishnan Preserver (xdread.pof) in Blue Planet (bp-visuals1.vp) (Error #6017: Contains a thruster with too many glowpoints.)

Also, your build of MODVIEW32 cannot save mass values to FS1 models, whereas MODVIEW32 legacy can.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A new build for you guys to play with:

http://blueplanet.fsmods.net/E/ModelView%2011A101.7z

Several changes have been made in this:

--The nonstandard BCMenu and coolcontrolsmanager additions have been removed
--The texture loading code has been reworked in preparation for additional texture formats
--Dependence on dm_tools.dll and other assorted bits of legacy stuff has been removed.
--Registry access code has been reworked to stay the **** away from HKLM (you may have to re-set a few settings)
--Stuff related to Descent and Red Faction has been exorcised
--Minor UI changes
--A few limits have been raised

As for the Mass value issue, no idea what happened there. I haven't really touched that part yet, but since the model loading/saving code has to be reworked anyway....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 04:27:15 pm by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Water

Large submodels seem to be covered now. What is the current limit on SOBJ chunks?

--The texture loading code has been reworked in preparation for additional texture formats
--Dependence on dm_tools.dll and other assorted bits of legacy stuff has been removed.
--Registry access code has been reworked to stay the **** away from HKLM (you may have to re-set a few settings)
--Stuff related to Descent and Red Faction has been exorcised
--A few limits have been raised
:yes: ^^

I can't download it now, but I will do it later.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Right, so it seems my texture loading rewrite broke texture loading slightly. I fixed it and uploaded the fixed version. Get it at the link above, or this one here:

http://blueplanet.fsmods.net/E/ModelView%2011A101.7z

Large submodels seem to be covered now. What is the current limit on SOBJ chunks?

I set it to 200, which seemed sufficient for now.

Well, next project, after introducing support for more texture formats, will be to remove those static limits.

As for allowing collada import, that's going to be a wee bit trickier. Unless someone can point me to the source for the PCS2 collada importer, I'll have to figure out how to do the conversion stuff myself, which will take a while.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 07:41:55 pm by The E »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'll see if I can find a copy of it on my local files, but it might be in one of the main PCS2 threads, unless it was an attachment in which case it's long been deleted.  Or PM/IM Spicious.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I did. Haven't received an answer yet.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Enjoy!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Thanks for that! Let's see what I can learn here.

I'll also stick it on the ModelView svn, to prevent attachment rot.

EDIT: For anyone interested in this, here's how to get it to compile on Windows:

1. Get the PCS2 source
2. Download the wxWidgets SDK. I used version 2.8.11. Install it, and build the "DLL Debug" and "DLL Release" targets. This guide may come in handy.
Remember to build it with wxUSE_GLCANVAS set to 1.
3. Download the colladadom SDK. Install it, and build both the debug and release dlls.
4. Download and install the DevIL SDK. No building necessary, as it comes precompiled for your convenience.
5. Download and install the SDL SDK
6. Get the boost package, and install it.
7. Open the solution. Adjust directories as necessary.
8. Solution should now build.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 04:44:37 pm by The E »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Awesome work, The E. :)

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Haven't tried saving yet but did a quick run through.

Getter G, 23k Check!
TOS CBstar, 82 turrets, Check!

And numerous other fighters I couldn't open before, Check!

Excellent work, pls keep it up!

I for one appreciate the more user-friendly functionality of MV!

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Just loaded up my own models in ModView, petty good so far. When will .dds preview support come around. Sure would be nice to see the textures before they make it ingame.

Great job so far! Oh, and .dea support is a MUST. Otherwise I won't be able to use it period...
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Current plan in that regard is to import PCS2's model loading/handling code. That is, turn that part of PCS2 into a standardized library that can be used by both PCS2 and ModelView. The texture loading code would improve as a side effect.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'm guessing the Collada code we got from Spicious will likely be utilized in some way as well, so you can probably count on your DAE support.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, that's part of it. Would be a bit stupid to import all that code from PCS2 without getting the model import code as well.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
A brand new program would be precisely the wrong thing to do; why start from scratch when you can build upon something that already exists?

The consensus seems to be that the PCS2 codebase is very hard to work with, and this is complicated by the facts that 1) the PCS2 code repository isn't available for new members; 2) the most recent PCS2 code isn't even in the repository.  In contrast, the Modelview source code is freely available, well organized, and well documented.

In view of these facts, focusing on Modelview would seem to be the better choice.

1) Yes it is, how many times do i have to say "PM me for access"?
2) what is in the repo is not very out of date.  HEAD is unstable, but the 2.0-fixes branch is
3) Collada still needs merged.. i think i have a changeset against HEAD around here somewhere

don't fork out of my repo FFS

[edit]
and instead of *****ing about how un-userfriendly PCS2 is how about you make suggestions on what you think needs improvement - to me (and I assume to bob who did the UI) it is no more difficult to use than Modelview - PCS2's UI was designed to copycat the basic layout of Modelview

my wife and I are playing WoW which is what is keeping me distracted from playing FS2 again and thus working on PCS2.  

[edit2] what files are missing from the repo?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:28:53 am by Kazan »
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm sorry, what are you saying here? Are you saying I shouldn't take your code to improve ModelView? Are you saying that PCS2 should only be developed with you as project lead? If so, then you saying "I'm too busy to work on PCS2 because I'm playing WoW" is sort of giving us all the bird, isn't it?

As for PCS2's UI.....where to start. Suffice it to say it is nowhere near as user friendly or accessible as ModelView's, from my POV. ModelView gives you a lot of information about the model that PCS2 doesn't give you. PCS2 gives you error messages that are not very helpful (The "great flameing graphics error of DOOM!", for example).
Seriously, just do a side-by-side comparison of the two programs, and compare the functionality.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
I'm sorry, what are you saying here? Are you saying I shouldn't take your code to improve ModelView? Are you saying that PCS2 should only be developed with you as project lead? If so, then you saying "I'm too busy to work on PCS2 because I'm playing WoW" is sort of giving us all the bird, isn't it?

As for PCS2's UI.....where to start. Suffice it to say it is nowhere near as user friendly or accessible as ModelView's, from my POV. ModelView gives you a lot of information about the model that PCS2 doesn't give you. PCS2 gives you error messages that are not very helpful (The "great flameing graphics error of DOOM!", for example).
Seriously, just do a side-by-side comparison of the two programs, and compare the functionality.

1) use my repo - i don't mind if you post improvements (please do) - but use my repo.  I intend to move it into SVN soon as I fix a stability problem in head.  I'll try to fix that this weekend and get it moved.

2) please don't rip code from my app to use in modelview.  if you have a problem with the UI, improve it.

3) i'm saying keep it in my repo

4) I forgot to add the "but i'll try to set aside some time to work on it" .. it'll be easier once my wife's new char hits 80

UI
A) What information does Modelview give that PCS2 doesn't?
B) that's one of Bobboau's errors.. we can clean up them
C) side by side comparison of functionality? PCS2 wins hands down as it is designed to be a model converter and meta data editor from the start.  Modelview bolted those features on as an afterthought.

PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Why will no one skip SVN in the VCS chain?

I quite like the idea of splitting the pcs2 backend from the frontend. (I was going to suggest it...)