Author Topic: DAE support - so many issues  (Read 3381 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
DAE support - so many issues
In the last few days I've seen so many issue with .dae support it's ridiculous.  I rarely use helpers and prefer to do all my rigging in PCS2.  Every time I need to use .dae with helper PCS2 finds a new way to screw things up.  Depending on what version you use some things work, others don't and some just plain corrupt data.

Recently discovered:
-Any subobject with a space in the name is not exported in a format that can be imported int max with via Colladamax.
-Any texture name that starts with a number same issue.
-Collada 2.03 version will export paths and docking points fine but can't import them.  Latest version exports them incorrectly and I just lost 7 hours of work because of it.  Only dock point 2 had valid helper info and the others were tossed resulting in only one dock point per dock.  Also the dock point names were either not exported correctly or not at all.  Easy fix you think just rename them?  Well when there are 864 docks no it's not.

Someone working on this really needs to get some models, export to dae, import into max, export and see how bad it's frakking things up.  

Some additional ones:
-Bay paths (fighterbays) do not re-import.  If you disconnect them from the subobject then you can import them but of course they don't have parent info. 
-Paths are not parented to anything when imported. 
-Dock points with spaces in names get corrupted.
-Eye points do not parent to subobject just show as eye point. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 01:40:05 am by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Re: DAE support - so many issues
2.03 is obsolete now and will never be fixed.
How many of those result from a trip through max?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Most of them. 

Unfortunately I still have to use 2.03 as it's more stable with dae imports.  Dae exports work better with 2.1 or at least as far as models go.  Docking points export better with 2.03 but the info is still not formatted correctly for max to read.the name so you end up with everything being called dock x.  I tried naming one I imported into max and doing an export and that did read in with the name. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The recent builds in Spicious' signature have been more stable, haven't they?  Import wise I mean.  I know for a long time 2.1 was incredibly unstable but it should have been getting better now.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
As far as general model import 2.0.3 has so far been more stable for me.  Again I don't use helpers 99% of the time and am just importing geometry.  Granted I haven't tested the most recent but have tested one after the insignia stuff was merged and had bad results with it doing strange things to rotation and axis or subobjects.  Also load seems to load everything instead of just what you are trying to load.  If I have dock points selected and hit load it should only load dock points.  2.03 does that.  

Also you don't even want to get me started on the interface changes.  

Add special points exported import without $special=subsystem and radius of 1. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:44:24 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Importing specific chunks seems to work correctly for me.

Interface changes?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I don't think I've ever managed to get any pof data (outside of geometry/textures) to not crash PCS2 from export from max, even just keeping the stuff that the DAE exporter adds :/

It just crashes PCS2 when trying to open the DAE that's been opened and re-exported from max with no editing :o
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I, uhhh, screwed up mousewheel scrolling in one revision. is fixed now.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Oh right yeah...I though zoom was disabled altogether in the 2.1 Alphas. XD
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
If it's breaking PCS2 on import I'd like a look at it. While getting DAE support to the point where exporting and re-importing doesn't lose stuff is probably the priority, I would like to try improving support for modelling programs too.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
First time I get it reproducible on something I can give you I will definitely do so.  Unfortunately like I said I rarely use helpers and just do all the stuff in pcs2 except for the properties which are just comments in max.  Of course when I have the info I will file in PCS2 mantis.  Hopefully that is still in use.  It definitely could use some updates as to reporting.