Author Topic: Your alltime favourites  (Read 11772 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Your alltime favourites
I suppose this board is not only for new games, so what are your favourite games from the very past (and I mean really past, like DOS and max W95 :D ) ? Besides all the great grafic effects that are possible today, a lot of games suffer from really flat stories, since they waste all their money on grafic and stuff and then when the money get's short they need to rush out the game asap. Very few companies are capable of doing good stories today, example Jowood and Blizzard.

But back to topic, which games do you always remember with a happy smile on your face ? For me, it's always Imperium Galactica 1 and
Missionforce Cyberstorm. Thanks to dosbox I'm able to play my beloved IG1 (with it's great movies) again, unfortunately I can't get Cyberstorm to run in XP, not matter what I do. If anyone has a hint, I'd be glad for it :)

And btw, If I wouldn't have so little time, with all the cool looking ships from IG1 you could create an excellent new Space-Sim game using the FSO engine :)

What are yours best memories ?
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: Your alltime favourites
Frogger.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
System Shock 2, Mario 3,..........
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
System Shock 2 and Rome.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Beating Mario 64 for the first time.... I forget how old I was. In any case it was the......... third game I'd beaten by that point. (First was Super Mario Bros, at the age of 5.)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
These are the games I spent years with and/or keep going back to despite having played through them at least 10 times:

Lemmings (1992, mac version)
Infotron (1993, another mac game)
Fate of Atlantis (1994, mac version)
C&C (1995)
Mission Critical (1995)
Descent 2 (1996)
FS2 (1999)
Unreal Tournament (1999)
Deus Ex (2000)

This is not taking mods and TCs into account, in which case C&C:RA makes it in there too.

Offline Nuclear1

Medal of Honor (the whole series)
FS2
C&C: Red Alert 2
Homeworld
Myst/Riven/Exile
Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time (I don't think I'll ever forget this little jewel--it's one of the few adventure games outside of the Myst series that I actually enjoyed)
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
DooM 1/2
Soldier of Fortune II (The game that got me into online gaming)
Freespace 1/2
Comanche Gold
SM64
Mario Kart 64
GTA (Whole series :nervous:)
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga

C&C (1995)

Good one, this was an excellent designed game and the birth or RTS Games.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
All these games I still play, all dates are guesses:

Wolfenstein 3D (1991)
Command and Conquer (1995)
Freespace 2 (1999)
Day Of The Tentacle (1994)
The Settlers 2 (?)
Pokémon (199omg)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer

C&C (1995)

Bollocks :). The birth of RTS games was Dune 2: The Battle for Arakis.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It was indeed. In many ways C&C was simply Dune 2 with different unit names.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That subtitle isn't right. :p It's The Building of a Dynasty.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Check the Amiga version.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.

C&C (1995)

Bollocks :). The birth of RTS games was Dune 2: The Battle for Arakis.

Actually try Herzog Zwei.

Also it was "Dune II: Battle For Arrakis" I have a huuuge poster on my wall circa 1991 (?) which has it on.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Myst/Riven/Exile
No Revelation or End of Ages?

Offline Nuclear1

Myst/Riven/Exile
No Revelation or End of Ages?

Haven't got em yet. That, and Medal of Honor and various other games have taken over my life at the moment.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Homeworld2. Not the greatest game in the world, but there are just so many mods it's easily the game i've played the most in the past few years. That, and the original Battlefield 1942, the very first game I ever got into online.

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Thanks to dosbox I'm able to play my beloved IG1 (with it's great movies) again, unfortunately I can't get Cyberstorm to run in XP, not matter what I do. If anyone has a hint, I'd be glad for it :)

Try this, I can't guarantee it'll work but it's worth a shot.  Right click it's icon, click Properties, click Compatibility tab, check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box, and pick Windows 95.  That might do it.  I emphasize might.
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
No way, I already tried all four settings, it's not running :(
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH