Author Topic: Your alltime favourites  (Read 11776 times)

Offline DarkShadow-

• Machina Terra
Re: Your alltime favourites
Games that left some beautiful memories in my head, and that I'm still playing from time to time:

Counterstrike (the good old days when it was nothing then a small, unknown mod, without this "CS-community")
Freespace 1/2
Homeworld 1/Cat./2
Starcraft
Diablo 2
Warzone 2100
Yoshi's Island
Spellforce 1 & Addons
Total Annihilation
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Zelda 64 Ocarina of Time
Zelda - A Link to the past
Final Fantasy (all of them)
Secret of Mana

Hmm, seems like I'm just unable to make a short list  ::)
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, isn't 'Eureka!' but rather 'hmm....that's funny.'" Isaac Asimov

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
*Shows age*

Spectrum
Ranarama
Where Time Stood Still
Head Over Heels
Netherworld
Carrier Command

Amiga
Dune 2
Zeewolf
Warhead
Menace
Secret of Monkey Island (1 & 2)
Civilisation

PC
Freespace II
GTA : Vice City (The others are good but VC was the best of the lot)
Hostile Waters
Rome : Total War
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
FS series
Homeworld series
GTA series
Half life series and mods
C&C Tiberian sun and Red Alert 2
Starsiege Tribes
Mechwarrior 4 Mercinaries
Civilization 3 COnquests
Civilization 2 Test of Time (with a few tweaks, this coulda been the best of the series)
Diablo 2
Total annialation (and core contingincy)

Offline ME$$ENGER

• The Yellow Peril
Baldur's Gate
Day of the Tentacles
Diablo
Grim Fandango
Monkey Island Series
Red Alert
Total Annihilation

PS: I'm not putting FS here because...well, pretty much everyone here is a die hard fan of FS.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 12:31:59 am by ME$$ENGER »

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I still can't believe I'm the only one to mention doom.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
lets see my were

total annihilation
system shock 1 & 2
Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 (i have never finished 1!)
Doom
FS series
Red alert
Discworld 1 & 2
homeworld
Worms
Warcraft2
Starcraft
Blood 1 & 2(one of my best just wish they would run under XP)
Alien Vs Predator
Gods(now theres a old one!)
Dalek Attack
Cannon fodder

And i had one on my Comardore(sp), called Snare it was a brillant game bit like tron except better graphics nearly pc quality! and you were in a spaceship inside a computer fight a virus i think i cnt remember but it truly was an excellent game!
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline starfox

C&C Series
Freespace Series
Starcraft & Expansion
Doom
Dungeon Keeper
Rome: Total War
I-War 2
Max Payne 1 & 2

Oldies....

Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3
Yoshi's Island
Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past
Sonic the Hedgehog 1,2,3
Chrono Trigger
Megaman X
Super Metroid

Now those were the days....
 :)
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Roanoke

hmmm.....

I think Ghostbusters on Amstrad CPC464 is the first game i remember actually going out and buying. Then maybe 1942. Back when an expensive game was £4.

Hey, did anyone play "Aliens" ? (as in the film adaptation)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hmmmmmm...

Ranarama and Solar Jetman were probably some of the best games from the 8-Bit Era, but theres so many to choose from like Manic Miner, Alien8 etc. It was because almost everything tried back then was new, nowadays the cake stays the same but the icing changes. It's not just the game-designers' fault, but they really don't put any effort into doing anything to stop the trend in most cases.

I played Aliens, it wasn't bad actually from what I remember :)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Spectrum
Ranarama

That game is an under appreciated masterpiece.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Hmmm. Years of no one even knowing what the game was whenever I mention it and then suddenly two people agree with me about how good it was :) The funny thing is I mention Paradroid or Quazatron more people recognise them but I always prefered Ranarama over either of them.

I was rather annoyed when I completed the game cause I had heard that if you got to the end there was actually a way to Myrven back into a human but it simply looped you back round and changed the name of the dungeon (from Magic Minions to Belos the Black). That was on a spectrum emulator though so now instead of simply starting from the absolute beginning every time I play and complete the game I can save and start from the last time I completed the game instead :)

I plan to see if I can get the score counter to loop round to 0 again :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 04:25:32 am by karajorma »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
My all time favs, starting from the days when I sometimes got to play some archaic games on my dad's working computer... :D

Grand Prix Circuit (1988)

Red Baron (1990)

Grand Prix 2 (1996)

X-Wing vs TIE Fighter (1997)
>X-Wing and TIE Fighter in XvT engine... XvT was my first contact with this game series. XWA is not as much fun as TIE Fighter. X-Wing was sometimes a bit tricky...

WarBirds (199?)

Freespace 2 (1999)

IL-2 Sturmovik [FB+AEP+PF] (2001 ->)

Freespace Open (2002 ->)
>Derelict
>Freespace Port
>The Babylon Project

Rome: Total War (2004)

What else... some random games and game demos, but none have captured me like these have. Baldur's gate was interesting, but it got boring even though I only got to play it some way through at my cousin's. Also, I've never been a big fan of FPS shooters, though they are fun in multiplayer deathmatch. We used to play HL in our school's computer class sometimes. *Someone* had put it onto the class's net hard drive, and it was also copied to multiple of the actual computers, too... so every time the teachers "deleted" it, it mysteriously returned rather fast. :nervous:

Some games have triggered my interest but I never got to by them for one or other reason. Those aren't listed here.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Umm let me think? these are not in order and I can't remember the years I played them

ZX Spectrum Games:-

Manic Miner
Attic Attak
Knightmare

Megadrive:-

Sonic 1,2,3, etc
PGA tour
F1

All Nintendos:-

All the Mario series
PGA tours
Wipeout
Wipeout2003

Sega Saturn:-

Pebble Beach (Golf)
Alien trilogy

Playstation:-

Formula 1
PGA tours
Resident Evil
Metal Gear Solid
Fade to Black
Tombraider (although I played it first as a demo on the PC)

Playstation 2:-

Spiderman 2
Metal Gear Solid - Sons of Liberty
Tombraider - Angel of darkness
Fight Night 2004 (Often referred to in some circles as Ricky Hattons)

PC:-

Wolfenstien 3D
Prince of Persia
Asteroids
Doom
Turok
Unreal
Duke Nukem
Bloodrayne
No one lives forever
and a Star Trek Voyager FPS whose name I can't quite recall ATM.
Tombraider 2 + 3
Martian Gothic
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 07:52:04 am by Wobble73 »
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You had Fade to Black but you didnt put Flashback from the Snes or Another world on the Mgadrive.  ::)

Sweet pickles......... I should have added them myself............. :(
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Hmmm I seem to remeber playing Another World, maybe on the megadrive or maybe on PC not to sure? But then it wasn't one of my All time faves, I found Fade to Black better!  :)
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Hmmm. Years of no one even knowing what the game was whenever I mention it and then suddenly two people agree with me about how good it was :)

I don't think many people actually played it. It totally passed me by on initial release. I got it as part of a Hewson compilation pack. Can't actually remember what the other three games were. They weren't very good.

I was rather annoyed when I completed the game cause I had heard that if you got to the end there was actually a way to Myrven back into a human but it simply looped you back round

Surely it said "well done" at least? :)
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, Ranarama was up there with Cholo, Mercenary, Nodes of Yesod, Cybertron and Nebulus as games that shaped my teenage years ;)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think I've already mentioned the depths of my vendetta with the Paylar Commander's Brother-in-law to you previously Flipside. There's not many people who'd steal his office furniture then jump off the top of the orbital base 65km up just to smash it into kindling :D

Cybertron? That the Transformers homeworld. Are you perchance thinking of Cybernoid? :) 

I don't think many people actually played it. It totally passed me by on initial release. I got it as part of a Hewson compilation pack. Can't actually remember what the other three games were. They weren't very good.

Exolon, Zynaps and Uridium Plus I'll bet :) I had the pack too.  Exolon wasn't bad although Rafaelle Cecco went on to make the much better Cybernoid games. I tend to agree with you on how it was largely ignored as yet another Gauntlet clone when it was in fact so much more.
I was rather annoyed when I completed the game cause I had heard that if you got to the end there was actually a way to Myrven back into a human but it simply looped you back round

Surely it said "well done" at least? :)

Yeah you got that but I'd heard a rumour that when you completed the game you presented with two potions. One would make you human but the other would leave you a frog and force you to play again. I was most disappointed that there was no potion. :(

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Wolfenstein 3d!!! That was the best game in the entire universe besides FS!!!

Seriously, Wolf3d was the game that started the entire FPS genre, and there are lots of games based on it (Spear of Destiny, Corridor 7, Rise of the Triad, Blake Stone, etc.). Wolf3d was no doubt the best game ever, but I liked FS more :P

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Exolon, Zynaps and Uridium Plus I'll bet :) I had the pack too.  Exolon wasn't bad although Rafaelle Cecco went on to make the much better Cybernoid games. I tend to agree with you on how it was largely ignored as yet another Gauntlet clone when it was in fact so much more.

Yes that was it. I was probably a bit harsh on the pack in my last post, Exolon was fun, if a little slow and plodding. . Then you had the other extreme. Uridium. Where a blink of an eye is all the time it would take for a wave of enemy ships to zip onto the screen and blow you away. That game wound me up no end. It was quite unfair.