Author Topic: Game Crash in Silent Threat: Reborn  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Fire112

Game Crash in Silent Threat: Reborn
Hello all,

first I must say thank you for thias awesome game remake. First time playing and enjoying it. Seem's I've missed all the fun back in the end of the 90s ;)

But now for the problem:

I'm playing with FS2Open 4.7.2 RC4 and the Silent Threat: Reborn campaign.

The game crashes reproducable in the mission "Last Stand" when I'm going for the fourth beam cannon of the Juggernaut, see the added Logfile.

Any tips or solutions?

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Game Crash in Silent Threat: Reborn
Code: [Select]
ASSERTION: "num == bm_bitmaps[n].handle" at bmpman.cpp:2568
Not sure what could be causing the error.  You could try just playing ST:R without the MVPs, and see if that helps.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
You might also want to try a recent nightly build in case it was caused by a problem that has already been fixed since RC4 was released.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Fire112

Sorry for the late reply.

I tried with stable Version 3.7.0.

With that there was no error and I could finish that mission.

I do have one issue here when running FSPort. It doesn't run once I select a new pilot or an existing one. I recently downloaded FS-ST:R through the FS O installer and it happens the same thing when selecting the mod. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Here's my log file. I hope it helps  :)

[attachment deleted by nobody]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I do have one issue here when running FSPort. It doesn't run once I select a new pilot or an existing one. I recently downloaded FS-ST:R through the FS O installer and it happens the same thing when selecting the mod. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Here's my log file. I hope it helps  :)

That is very odd.  It is crashing on a line it should have no business crashing on, if the version number is correct.  Tell me, where did you get the FSO executable that you used to run the mod?

I'm not quite sure about your question but I got it from the FSO Installer. I'm currently using the fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4.exe in order to load Freespace Port.

Maybe if I wipe everything out and do a clean install would help? By the way, FS2, MediaVPs 2014 and BP1 run pretty good so far. I've not tested BP2 yet though.

Nope. I just reinstalled retail FS and everything still the same. So that means I must be doing something really wrong. Every time I select the 3.7.2 build plus fsport-MediaVPs 2014, either original campaign or ST:R or any other it crashes. This is part of the code I always get:
"Error: Required token = [#End] or [$Mission:], found [+Substitute Main Hall: Galatea B]"

Don't know what it means :/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:58:05 pm by Reloaded »

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open:3_7_2_RC4.exe! <no symbol>

Here's my fs2_open log by the way...

[attachment deleted by nobody]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:59:44 pm by Reloaded »

Use FSO 3.7.2 RC5.

Wow!! So far So good. Made it through the old Main Hall with no conflicts whatsoever and successfully chosen ST:R. Loading up missions :)

Ok. New Main Halls are working nice! Thanks tomimaki!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yep, RC4 vs. RC5 solves the puzzle.  The earlier RC4 was choking on a feature that wasn't implemented until RC5.

Also, in most cases it is not necessary to completely reinstall everything to solve a problem.

Yeah, now I know LOL
Thank you so much guys!