Author Topic: Post-server move issues  (Read 24715 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Post-server move issues
Well, I guess taylor was maintaining it, and then it was handed down to me to an extent when I wanted to set up SquadWar.  Not sure how many other people knew this but I had sudo access to the old box for some years now so I could do that and help with FS2NetD.  fs2netd.game-warden.com is actually pointing to 96.31.94.82 currently.  This is what it has always pointed to I believe, as I can still log in with the fs2net account.  I was under the impression that the GW/HLP IPs were the CloudFlare IPs or whatever, and that this FS2NetD is the direct IP to the old host itself.  Perhaps this is the issue, FS2NetD was never put behind the CloudFlare firewall, and seems to have been forgotten in the DNS migration.  It appears that apache is no longer running on the old host.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Hosted projects should be working now.

fs2netd.game-warden.com is MP's thing, I believe.  Adding fs2netd.hard-light.net is easy enough, and I do believe I was able to find and save all the binaries, so it could be set up on the new HLP box, I believe.

--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
A number of subdomains were misconfigured like this.  A two-part fix was required.  I just finished fixing all of them, and I'm waiting on rev_posix for the final reconfiguration.
Good, thanks.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

fs2netd.game-warden.com is MP's thing, I believe.  Adding fs2netd.hard-light.net is easy enough, and I do believe I was able to find and save all the binaries, so it could be set up on the new HLP box, I believe.

But do you believe?? :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations

But do you believe?? :p
The only things I believe right now are:
I'm beat and going to bed
I may be catching a cold
Windows updates suck the lamas ass
A beer right now doesn't sound half bad :P
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Too bad the updates don't whip the llama's ass, eh?

Now might be a good time to try out the node-based daemon then.  If we have node that is.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I've changed the frontpage a bit; now instead of a hard-coded slideshow, it shows the latest 4 entries from the Highlights section of the website.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline CT27

Are the pictures of "highlight" projects (and the pictures are links to the appropriate threads) going to return to the top of the page like they were before this move?

Yes.  Sandwich will take care of that after the forums are fixed.

Are you referring to the highlights at the top of the forums, or on the website?

My question was about the highlight pictures/links at the top of the forum.

Anyways, Goober and Sandwich, for what it's worth I set up a Fenris donation.  I wish I could do more but income isn't 100% reliable right now.  I've enjoyed all the campaigns and things I've got from this place over the years I wanted to at least do the minimum to support. :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Anyways, Goober and Sandwich, for what it's worth I set up a Fenris donation.  I wish I could do more but income isn't 100% reliable right now.  I've enjoyed all the campaigns and things I've got from this place over the years I wanted to at least do the minimum to support. :)

Very much appreciated, thank you. :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Not to be a nag, but any progress on fixing the forum theme?  The site is nigh-unusable on mobile right now due to this absurdly-wide Quick Reply box.  (Yes, you can collapse it, but you need to do so for every single thread you open, which is super-obnoxious.)  Jumping to new posts also being broken is a major drag too.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
For some reason, there are a lot of errors that need fixing (see the news announcement).  I put in several hours of work on the first attempt, and although a lot got done, there is still more to do.  I ought to have time to do more today though.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
For some reason, there are a lot of errors that need fixing (see the news announcement).  I put in several hours of work on the first attempt, and although a lot got done, there is still more to do.  I ought to have time to do more today though.

To be clear, I've intentionally been hands-off trying to fix the forum theme issues until I get the go-ahead that you've restored it as far as you can and I should take over. ;)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The [size] tag doesn't seem to work. No matter what number I put there, the resulting text is always 5pt.

This was due to a PHP incompatibility that kicked in after our move to PHP 7 on the new server.  It should be fixed now.

I'm just about ready to pay cash money if someone will prioritize fixing the Quick Reply box.

Send cash money my way, please. :)

Not to be a nag, but any progress on fixing the forum theme?  The site is nigh-unusable on mobile right now due to this absurdly-wide Quick Reply box.  (Yes, you can collapse it, but you need to do so for every single thread you open, which is super-obnoxious.)  Jumping to new posts also being broken is a major drag too.

Ditto.  This was the problem:

Code: [Select]
#quickReplyOptions form textarea
{
height: 100px;
width: 635px;
max-width: 100%;
min-width: 100%;
margin: 0.25em 0 1em 0;
}

The middle three lines were supplied in the default theme, but not the HLP theme.  I guess they became required on the move to the new server.  I have no idea why. :confused:

EDIT:

To be clear, I've intentionally been hands-off trying to fix the forum theme issues until I get the go-ahead that you've restored it as far as you can and I should take over. ;)

Yup, understood.  All yours now -- see my post on the other thread. :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:21:07 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
Sounds like everything is in hand, but if you need any help just let me know (SG resides on a gigantic server). Having falling flat on my face several times with server moves, it's something of a touchy subject ;)
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks. :)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hmm...not sure if it's a cache thing or what, but I'm still getting the super-wide reply box on both my phone (Chrome) and my ancient iPad (Safari). And I'll be damned if I know how to force-refresh on either one.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Only way to do it on mobile seems to be to delete all site data.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Looks like clearing the cache did the trick. :yes:

One more very minor issue way down the priority list: there's still something on the page that seems to be generating a horizontal scroll bar, whether in a maximized or resized browser window.  It only appears when viewing an individual thread, and it only scrolls for a few pixels in either direction.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Looks like clearing the cache did the trick. :yes:

One more very minor issue way down the priority list: there's still something on the page that seems to be generating a horizontal scroll bar, whether in a maximized or resized browser window.  It only appears when viewing an individual thread, and it only scrolls for a few pixels in either direction.

Yeah, that'll probably remain as-is until I fully recreate a theme for the forums. Rorry!