Author Topic: RELEASE: GTGs Prominence  (Read 56664 times)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: Starting a gunship (needs a name)
I'd suggest to cover the engines, or at least 60-70% of the engines with a thin armor layer.
Keep a bit of distance ( room enough for Uly ) between the armor and the engines and connect them via two struts.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!

I' not very good at paint. >_>

Though I still feel the back is a bit unbalanced but I'm not sure how to do anything with it by using paint.

I'll probably take most of those suggestions. The front point defense turrets might need to be moved back if the difference in the shell is going to be at all large, but we'll see where that goes. Still not sure about extruding the armor on the top area but I'll see what it looks like.

What Hades did looks good.
Also the logic of the beam cannon and sensors being "fairly important subsystems" and not having them exposed, then having the engine assembly exposed is kinda contradictory, seeing as the engine is probably more important than both the beam cannon and the sensor array combined.

The engine susbsystem[sic] is probably the most important of them all, cause well, if everything else goes to hell you can still bail.

True, until you consider that the reactor and most of the sensitive areas connected to the engine are actually in the area directly beneath the back turret, and the engine tubes that you see are mainly for directing/focusing the ignited fuel. As such, they're pretty much giant chunks of high-melting-point metal already and therefore count as "armor".

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Very cool. :yes:

Looks kinda Nordera... :nervous:

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
It... does, loosely. Hadn't noticed that. Well, I'm basing my Terran faction roughly on the Star Fold Confederacy from the Infinity project, and SFC ships are always angular/utilitarian/boxy, so they'll probably look similar.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
This ship is coming along really well. :yes: I love the design of the top turrets with the armour over them; am i right they're meant to retract when its not in combat?

My one concern is those boxes on the sides; are they multi-part turrets? i've heard that FS2 really struggles to get them working when they're sideways.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
FS2 doesn't, but I will. I must brave the eternal horror of fvec and uvec...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
FS2 doesn't, but I will. I must brave the eternal horror of fvec and uvec...
* headdie salutes your courage

I fought that foe only once and got my ass handed to me to the point I remodelled the ships the turret points.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I come to aid thee in thy tribulations!  Ensure all off-axis turrets face forward.  This way, you can have uvec be 0,0,1, and you don't have to bother with making the fvec values negative.

Easiest way to defeat the enemies.  Also, before you apply the turrets, record what the rotation about the forward axis is (I dunno what program you're using, so I can't tell you which axis for sure).  You'll need this in order for your LRTrigBeams to acquire target successfully.

[EDIT]

Huh... I wonder.... can you mount a multipart gun on a rotating subobject?  I must try this, for great justice.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
O HAI

So after spending quite a while not working on this, I've finally got back to it. The armor piece over the top isn't very extensive, but it's all I'm going to do up there. Most of the detail will come from the texture. May still need to do something at the very back of the armor sheath on the top, but I think most of the detailing on the front is done.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Hades asked in irc for the .wings file so he could show me some concepts he had in mind, so I'm putting a .wings and a .3ds up here so anyone can have a look. There's no hierarchy whatsoever yet- that'll come after finalizing the mesh, UVing and texturing.

3ds
wings

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I'm not too fond of the extra long pointy things that slopes downward. Good job so far.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Very impressive work there.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Wow. That looks impressively good. Would you mind if I messed with this to create something non-Terran for my own mod?
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Most Impressive.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Wow. That looks impressively good. Would you mind if I messed with this to create something non-Terran for my own mod?

Go ahead, just make sure to credit me for the original mesh :D

I think I'm going to tidy up the model and then start on UVing. I've got it pretty much where I imagined it would be wrt the mesh, and it's been delayed enough IMO.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
certainly came a long way from an undetailed slab since i last took a peek at it. pretty good now.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Very cool. :yes:

Looks kinda Nordera... :nervous:

Looks too high tech to be a Nordera ship, Snail. =p
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
* Droid803 really looking forward to seeing this done.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
It's awesome! :D It's excelent for some fenris-styled cruiser maybe for post-GW Sol. Good work :yes: .
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Wow.  This is quite impressive.  I can't say I'm a fan of the flat nose, but other than that, this is awesome.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that