Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 270008 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I think you might be confusing "ripped off" with "purchased for use".  FASA, back in the day, legally obtained a vast majority if not all of the Unseen designs.  Copyright complications and the machinations of Harmony Gold (who's sole reason for existence, so far as I can tell, is to acquire and sit on various licenses until people want them badly enough to pay through the nose) forced them to be removed.

They were not stolen.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Y'know, I may not be the best commentator on these matters, but I'll say a brief piece anyways.

I really wasn't grabbed by MWO when I first tried it a few months back. I've only got room for so many grindy F2P multiplayer games, and MWO just didn't strike me as generally "good" enough to warrant making space. Yes, the presentation (graphics, sound, etc) is quite nice, but I found the frontend main menu confusing and unintuitive, and the gameplay felt very similar to old MechWarrior titles I've played previously. Having now gotten my hands on MW4:Mercs, I think the latter is the superior game even before considering dev antics, of which I'm admittedly not very clued into.

It's a damn shame really. Genre fans have been really hard-up for a good stompy robots game, and watching MWO's saga is nothing but disappointing. Perhaps I should look into Living Legends, or maybe I'll just stick with Mercs.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Y'know, I may not be the best commentator on these matters, but I'll say a brief piece anyways.

I really wasn't grabbed by MWO when I first tried it a few months back. I've only got room for so many grindy F2P multiplayer games, and MWO just didn't strike me as generally "good" enough to warrant making space. Yes, the presentation (graphics, sound, etc) is quite nice, but I found the frontend main menu confusing and unintuitive, and the gameplay felt very similar to old MechWarrior titles I've played previously. Having now gotten my hands on MW4:Mercs, I think the latter is the superior game even before considering dev antics, of which I'm admittedly not very clued into.

It's a damn shame really. Genre fans have been really hard-up for a good stompy robots game, and watching MWO's saga is nothing but disappointing. Perhaps I should look into Living Legends, or maybe I'll just stick with Mercs.

I skipped MW4 because the reviews said it was more arcade-style and less of a simulation than MW3 and 2. Is it (MW4) any good, after all?
Concerning MW:O, I still hold some hope for it, though that might be related to the fact that I'm fairly new to the game, and I haven't been disappointed as often as the veteran players, so far.  :nervous:

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Please, do look up Living Legends. It was a labor of love. A bunch of Battletech fans got together and gave a shot at the biggest game they could make. You aren't even restricted to mechs!
You can use: Tanks; Hovercraft; Airplanes; VTOLs; Elementals; And I am likely forgetting more. It was really something beautiful. Even if it lacked a heat-sink mechanic and customization. (Which, in my opinion made the game better, forcing folks to use balanced presets, rather than game breaking Octo PPC platforms that turn your mech into an oven the moment you fire :P) Check it out, at least see some footage on Y'tube.

Living Legends' Homepage is already bookmarked. As soon as I have some time on my hand, I'll take a closer look :)

Oh, I haven't seen any Octo- or Qadro-PPC Mechs in MWO. I think they nerfed the PPC after/during Open Beta. Though I'm quite a happy owner of a 9-MLas Hunchie. It's pure meta-gaming, but it's fun ;)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
To be fair the 4P pretty much comes that way.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
I skipped MW4 because the reviews said it was more arcade-style and less of a simulation than MW3 and 2. Is it (MW4) any good, after all?
I think hardcore BT fans would take issue with the hardpoint system and the lack of Standard/XL engine customization. Also the inability to shoot off legs (near as I've seen thus far), and all defeated 'mechs exploding violently.

That said, there are some features that I've only seen in Mercs (not in base MW4) that I quite liked. There are a ton of 'mech designs, and a bunch of "high-tech" equipment that allows for a lot of versatility in weapon customization.

As with most things, Your Mileage May VaryTM.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
For me, Living Legends' downloads are always corrupted.  It makes me sad because I really want to play and I can't.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Aesaar

MW4's mech customisation was honestly my favorite out of all the games precisely because it actually tried to make it make sense.  No 30 ton light mechs with the exact same amount of internal space as a 100 ton assault.  Big weapons would only fit in hardpoints big enough to accommodate them, so no AC/20 wielding Ravens.  It suffered because MW4 weapon balance had a lot of issues, but the system itself was quite good.

Oh, and that game made the Vulture from a decent looking mech to an absolutely gorgeous one.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:17:54 pm by Aesaar »

I think hardcore BT fans would take issue with the hardpoint system and the lack of Standard/XL engine customization. Also the inability to shoot off legs (near as I've seen thus far), and all defeated 'mechs exploding violently.

That said, there are some features that I've only seen in Mercs (not in base MW4) that I quite liked. There are a ton of 'mech designs, and a bunch of "high-tech" equipment that allows for a lot of versatility in weapon customization.

As with most things, Your Mileage May VaryTM.

MW4 was mainly designed around multiplayer and multiplayer balance. And multiplayer on 56K modems. In which it worked suprisingly good, especially compared to it's predecessor, which was rather unplayable in multiplayer (you'd have to aim ahead based on pings moreso then actual weapon speed) However, some details were lost. For example, almost all the weapons were hitscan, as opposed to MW3s ballistic projectiles and recoil mechanics. The mech hardpoint system was also a result of this, to prevent the "Weapon boats" that occured a lot in MW3 multiplayer. So yeah, it's quite a bit more arcade, but the meat of the Mechwarrior franchise (customizing mechs, crippling arms and legs) is still there.

You can actually "Leg" someone in MW4. However, "Legging someone" will simply result in that leg becoming limp, rather then causing the mech to fall over and be destroyed (This is what happened in MW3, and it caused great frustration in quite a few players - IIRC, in MW2 you'd become immobile but not destroyed, so you could still use your jumpjets and torso to get some shots in. MW3 made it game over right away). You have to destroy both legs in order to claim a kill.

For me, Living Legends' downloads are always corrupted.  It makes me sad because I really want to play and I can't.

Whoa, even with Bittorrent's built in anti-download-corruption mechanisms?

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
You guys been reading the latest thread? It's pure entertainment
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/145189-russ-bullock-2013-state-of-the-inner-sphere-feedback-thread/

Oh goodness me, that is utterly catastrophic! I can't stop laughing!
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

I should go work there, PGI is a 5 minute walk from the studio I'm at :P

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I looked into Living Legend. Looks good. Altough some mech re-designs actually look worse than they dd in MW4.

For example, one of my favorites, the Bushwacker. In MW3 it has a predatory, modern feel. In LL it looks like a an old cargo box.

HMmmm... thinkong of modding MW4 and making a Bushwacker II. I like symetry and that tiny arm bothers me. So two arms with the big gun and two missile launchers = so much win.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Should you ever walk past, Throw a molotov cocktail through the window for me  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!

Well if their website's to be believed, they're looking to hire just about an entire devteam... http://infinitegamepublishing.com/careers
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Should you ever walk past, Throw a molotov cocktail through the window for me  :p

Well they're situated in a mall with a threate above that I quite like, so not really an option :)

Well if their website's to be believed, they're looking to hire just about an entire devteam... http://infinitegamepublishing.com/careers

Yeah, well my experience is in animation not game development so I'm probably not a very desirable candidate.
I do know some animators who've worked on similar games like Mechwarrior Tactics and animating the mechs walk about was boring as sin apparently :)

I wouldn't mind drawing some robots though. But though I've drawn a bunch of battletech stuff recently don't think my skills are up to spec.
http://koalabrownie.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
I wouldn't mind drawing some robots though. But though I've drawn a bunch of battletech stuff recently don't think my skills are up to spec.
For what it's worth, I think your skills are "up to spec". Quality illustrations there, though I think what you mean is that your style is different from the very "defined" hard-lines technical illustrations common to BT.

For what it's worth, I think your skills are "up to spec". Quality illustrations there, though I think what you mean is that your style is different from the very "defined" hard-lines technical illustrations common to BT.

Thanks.
Well these are fairly quick sketches that I am basing on the original artwork for the mechs
(ie found here http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page )

But have not really done a lot of finished or rendered work that I think is more common to video  game concept art.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
And suddenly, everything changed, and PGI adopted the ability to get the 'Mech you wanted.

Shame how we got here, but hey. They even threw in a free Masakari-level back with their gold stuff.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story