Author Topic: Witcher 3  (Read 18626 times)

But the film would still have the same message as the book then, and would be completely open to censure for it.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

Yes. At some point the writers of the movie or the game must have felt sufficiently comfortable with the original material to render it in the new media.

However, the worst thing ever is when someone says he "likes" the original material and then tries to "PC" the hell out of it, so he now has a "clean" version of the thing that so tickles him. I hate when that happens. Give me "Passion of Christ" a thousand times more than "The Bible".

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Yes. At some point the writers of the movie or the game must have felt sufficiently comfortable with the original material to render it in the new media.

However, the worst thing ever is when someone says he "likes" the original material and then tries to "PC" the hell out of it, so he now has a "clean" version of the thing that so tickles him. I hate when that happens. Give me "Passion of Christ" a thousand times more than "The Bible".
But if there's something really stupid in an otherwise brilliant work, we're allowed to call them out on it and wish it wasn't there, no?

And on a different point, occasionally PC changes do work. Perfect example: The Prince of Egypt.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:05:00 am by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Luis Dias

I think this is a good discussion though, I can't put my hands on exactly what bothers me about "PCing" works of art, but it does, and I can't also completely disagree with you there. Perhaps this is one of those things where this tension between the two options is just unavoidable and ultimately even desirable.

I think there is something to be said about losing the richness of the original atmosphere, ideas, themes and prejudices to just "conform" to today's own atmospheres, ideas, themes and prejudices. All of the things then become just too bland and equal to each other, as if all the source materials share the same ideological traits we now have (things like equality, feminism, democracy, liberty, hedonism, etc.,etc.). One thing I really loved in The Lion King was how preposterously out-of-PC it was. It was basically the preaching of a holistic "Circle of Life" where everything changes in order to be the same thing, where animals kill each other but it's all "part of the big picture" so everyone's happy about it, where certain species are kings and others are just food (and it's to be this way forever, because the circle never ends).

Now it did have some "PC" censorship over its writing. Simba does end up becoming a vegan or smth, signaling that eating Zebras should not be kosher after all, but that's not the overall message, which is one of retrieving the old Mufasa Circle of Life's idea, which is, in its essence, a kind of a fascist "everyone knows its place" idea.

I wouldn't have "The Lion King" without this asinine ideology in it! I would have loathed it if it really was about breaking this Circle of Life and getting something different done, and this "different" world would be just the most perfect PC things one could imagine.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
On a "slightly" related note, if anyone wishes to get into the series, but isn't sure if he will like it at all, GoG has some awesome promo where Witcher 1 is free with every purchase. The Witcher is worth serious monies, so get it if you can if it's free.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
A totally justified necro as the new trailer strikes!

I need to find that job already :/
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Lorric

It's beautiful...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

"I returned"  and that look :D
I also hope that my GTX550 ti  will not burn down just like that village xD

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
I think I need to change my pants. That trailer. Awesome.
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Impressive, indeed. I'm still not done with the first Witcher (doing extras now), but I think I'll get back to it soon. Yes, it's violent, brutal and sexually explicit, loaded with bigotry from everyone against everyone else. It's also written so darn well that you keep returning to it anyway, only to see the few remotely decent people in that world have bad things done to them... Still can't help it, though. :) A new novel came out recently, so I'm gonna get to it right after I'm done with Metro 2034. And definitely looking forward to the game.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Impressive, indeed. I'm still not done with the first Witcher (doing extras now), but I think I'll get back to it soon. Yes, it's violent, brutal and sexually explicit, loaded with bigotry from everyone against everyone else. It's also written so darn well that you keep returning to it anyway, only to see the few remotely decent people in that world have bad things done to them... Still can't help it, though. :) A new novel came out recently, so I'm gonna get to it right after I'm done with Metro 2034. And definitely looking forward to the game.
The Witcher 2 is an infinitely superior game to TW1 - the writers replaced that brutal, bleak, depressing tone with a relentless moral ambiguity where the characters constantly surprise you in both good and bad ways. Treat TW1 as the part of the story that sets up your expectations, so that TW2 can gleefully subvert them.

But yeah...part of me wonders if CDProject is making a terrible mistake by changing their style and following Skyrim, seeing as they pretty much mastered their craft in TW2...but TW2 was such a great game that I'm still going to wait for the game's benchmarks to come out before I decide what my next graphics card will be.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 11:37:36 am by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Soo, the Witcher may be delayed until early 2015, but we get at least some making-of footage ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvrQt6s7a-0
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:03:03 pm by SkycladGuardian »

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Dare I say, I am really looking forward to this. Not to worried about their design decisions myself - last time they changed their gameplay, it turned out pretty well, did it not?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I've recently finished the second Witcher. I'd say, it was good, though the first one had some stuff done better IMO. Familiar monsters, for one (Nekkers and Endergas were not mentioned in the books, while most monsters from 1 were), and more tactical gameplay, not to mention focus on Geralt's skills, not on his equipment. Not only you could very well go through the game with your starting sword and armor, you were more or less expected to, getting the only "guaranteed" upgrades (not even that, since they still depended on your choices) towards the end. The Witcher 2 seemed to be more in line with "standard" RPGs, with action-y controls, item-oriented progression and crafting. Also, they didn't include a "neutral" path and cut down on the "important decisions" aspect somewhat, though you're still only forced to do something when it makes sense, i.e. at sword/crossbow point. :) Nevertheless, it was still a great game, just not as good as 1.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I got the original Witcher as a freebie in some past Steam summer/winter event; I need to give it a try someday.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I got the original Witcher as a freebie in some past Steam summer/winter event; I need to give it a try someday.

Ditto.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

But yeah...part of me wonders if CDProject is making a terrible mistake by changing their style and following Skyrim, seeing as they pretty much mastered their craft in TW2...

Me thinks that is the correct solution, actually. Rather then letting TW3 be "TW2 but better", having TW3 try and do something else entirely keeps things fresh.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
I have a bizarre relationship with the Witcher series. I tried the first game and honestly didn't enjoy actually playing it all that much, but I bought TW 1 + 2 because I feel like the devs are worth supporting. And I'm really not one of those "Steam collector" people that just buy things because they're on sale.

Maybe I'll give the first game another go.

Aaaand the new E3 trailer is out!
This game is gonna be so awesome!  :D