Author Topic: How does this do in 4K?  (Read 2310 times)

How does this do in 4K?
Does anyone play this in 4K? I've had other games give me issues at high resolution with UI scaling so small I can't see it. And with those I'm also concerned about textures not looking good, etc.  Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a 4K monitor and gauging by how many games I'll actually be able to play on it. How FS2 runs won't be the only factor but it will be a major one.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: How does this do in 4K?
The default mediavps_2014 config will definitely have issues at 4k with being too small.  There's a few alternate HUD configs around that are designed for 1080p, they may work better, but even they might be too small.

Having said that, there are reports of other issues with FSO running high resolutions, IIRC something about the offscreen reticle and/or the secondary lock reticle not behaving. And due to the current devs lacking monitors with a high res, it's hard to debug & fix the issues. Therefore I'd recommend crossing FSO off the 4k capable list (for now).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Sorry for necro'ing this thread, but I'm running into the lock reticle being all over the place when running fs2_open_3_8_0_SSE2 on 4k (Geforce GTX 1050). Starts off ok (albeit thin), but then totally disappears (or is moved to the top-left corner of screen) Is this still a known bug?

I don't mind throttling down my resolution and running it, say, at Full-HD if it fixes it. Anyone has a workaround/config file that would allow me to do this?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I'm pretty sure this is still an unfixed bug :(

You can change FSO's resolution in a few ways. Assuming you're using Knossos; select settings (gear in top right) -> Video -> Pick 1080p from the dropdown -> Save

Or, you can add global Custom Flag (on the same settings screen) called "-res 1920x1080".
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Thanks for the swift reply. I installed Knossos, but when I set it to 1920x1080, the game runs only on the T-left corner of my screen. Presumably a driver glitch.

I also find that my savegames are gone - copying the PLR and CSG files to this launcher's "players" folder doesn't make it appear which is odd.

Still, to make sure I'm not Yak shaving, the question remains: with Knossos, does the reticule problem go away at some resolution?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Sorry, forgot to mention that with reducing the resolution you may want to run FSO in a window as well. You can set that in the setting page in Knossos; except pick Global Flags -> Dev Tool -> Run in Window (or run in Fullscreen Window)

If your savegames are missing then that probably means you were using an older version of FSO before switching to Knossos. FSO 3.8.0 stores the saves in a different location; in theory they should have been copied over but that doesn't seem to have worked for whatever reason. Try copying the PLR & CSG files to:

%AppData%\HardlightProductions\FreespaceOpen\data\players

(i.e. the location that 3.8.0 expects the saves to be)
----
----