Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >
The FRED Workshop / Re: [WIP] Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within Act 0 (DEMO)
« Last post by Bryan See on October 20, 2018, 01:03:28 pm »
@Woutersmits, try the Knossos launcher. Wxlauncher development has stalled long ago.
Scripting Releases / Re: Custom Wingmen HUD Gauge v1.1
« Last post by Spoon on October 20, 2018, 12:26:14 pm »
Thanks for the update, I have fixed the issue and uploaded a new version (v1.2). That must have been very annoying to try and figure out, and I am sorry about all that extra bug fixing I put you guys through!

The new version also incorporates the intensity value from the player's HUD settings as well, so if you like a brighter or darker HUD the gauge will match what you have set.
No worries!
I would be lying if I said I wasn't freaking out for a bit earlier. "How many changes have I made in these past months that have not been saved?! :shaking:" But thankfully that turned out to be non-issue.

The fixes and added safeties are  :yes:
The FRED Workshop / Re: "Fog Near"/"Fog Far Multiplier", how does it work?
« Last post by PIe on October 20, 2018, 11:09:48 am »
It looks like the default for Fog Near is 10 and it is a multiplier as well.
Scripting Releases / Re: Custom Wingmen HUD Gauge v1.2
« Last post by wookieejedi on October 20, 2018, 10:46:26 am »
Good idea! It's fixed in this script now, but that is definitely a good safety check to have for any future scripts.
Scripting Releases / Re: Custom Wingmen HUD Gauge v1.2
« Last post by m!m on October 20, 2018, 10:44:59 am »
I made some changes to how the engine handles the file handles so that you get yelled at if you forget to close a file handle so this shouldn't happen again in the future.
« Last post by wookieejedi on October 20, 2018, 10:41:04 am »
So I ran into a big issue that FRED couldn't save to the mission file that was open in FSO. FRED didn't give any warnings, it just straight up undid all of the changes made and would only agree to save to the file if the mission was no longer open in FSO. Behavior I had never seen before and wrongly attributed to some bug in recent builds and/or FRED. Thankfully, Axem is a very smart man, and he figured out that bug was caused by this script. Probably because it reads the wing names from the mission file, and then keeps the file open. Preventing FRED from writing to it.

Just a heads up to everyone using the script in its current version.

Thanks for the update, I have fixed the issue and uploaded a new version (v1.2). That must have been very annoying to try and figure out, and I am sorry about all that extra bug fixing I put you guys through!

The new version also incorporates the intensity value from the player's HUD settings as well, so if you like a brighter or darker HUD the gauge will match what you have set.
« Last post by Spoon on October 20, 2018, 10:19:47 am »
Okay so this thread made me curious and I tested stuff.

Range: Seems to be just purely the range at which you can target things (hostiles that is, I think friendlies can be targeted at any range)

Fog Near: I have absolutely no idea what this does at this point. I set this to all kinds of numbers but could not see any noticable difference.

For Far Multiplier: The default view range seems to be a range of 1000. Fog Far Multiplier is well, as the name states; a multiplier for that view range. So if you want to see ships clearly at a range of 3000, then set this multiplier to any number above 3. Why this couldn't just be called "View range" and be set in just actual distance, I have no idea. This just seems pointless vague ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Depending on the size of the ship, there seems to be a few hundred meters of partially obscuration.

This was with a setting of 1, as you can see, at a distance of 1069, only the bits closer to the player are visible.

And with 1.1 the ship becomes slightly more visible, as more of it falls inside the 1100 view range.
« Last post by Spoon on October 20, 2018, 09:32:31 am »
So I ran into a big issue that FRED couldn't save to the mission file that was open in FSO. FRED didn't give any warnings, it just straight up undid all of the changes made and would only agree to save to the file if the mission was no longer open in FSO. Behavior I had never seen before and wrongly attributed to some bug in recent builds and/or FRED. Thankfully, Axem is a very smart man, and he figured out that bug was caused by this script. Probably because it reads the wing names from the mission file, and then keeps the file open. Preventing FRED from writing to it.

Just a heads up to everyone using the script in its current version.
« Last post by Trivial Psychic on October 20, 2018, 08:40:29 am »
Don't take this as certain, but I think that the near multiplier dictates at what distance a ship will appear to be completely unobstructed by nebular fog, and the far multiplier being at what distance it won't be visible at all.  For example, if you set the near distance at 2, and assuming default is 1, then at twice the default distance, the ship in question will be completely visible... at least that's my take on it.  I seem to recall these being introduced when I was doing some FREDding for TBP many years ago and wanted Hyperspace to be less obscuring... though I never got around to testing it.  Of course, nebular fog has nothing to do with the poofs and the sheets are rendered as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >